So me and my roomate have been trying to conserve energy, and we're wondering how much a 15 watt amp affects our utility bill. He says that someone he knows got an amp and it drove up their bill extremely high from playing a lot, yet mine is a modest 15 watt marshall (yeah i know tone killer but i got it a long time ago) but i highly doubt it drives up the bill.

I've started to disconnect it when not in use, but i only use it half volume at max, and for maybe 1 hour every other day, if not less because of school.

Just wondering how much electricity this amp is really using at the volume and time i'm using it. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
the only easy way i know of to judge it would be to use it for a month, and then dont use it for a month. try and keep the rest of your electrical usage the same. then look at the different amount that you are charged for the two months. im guessing not much.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
My 15W marshall draws 75 watts when fully cranked. A SS marshall will be more efficient, so I'd say maybe 30 watts at bedroom volume.
An incandescent light bulb draws anywhere from 60 to 100 watts. Compact fluorescent bulbs draw a fraction of that.
Your washing machine draws about 900 watts, and your dryer about 6000 (yes, six thousand) unless you've got a gas one, which you probably don't. So, a load of laundry is roughly the equivalent of playing your amp for 230 hours.

So, if you're trying to conserve electricity, hand wash your clothes, let them air dry, do double loads, buy another pair of jeans so you do laundry less often, and replace your incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent ones. Don't worry about your amp.
I got a Laney lx35 which is 30watt and consumes 50 watts at full power. I cant relly see this makinga huge differance to your electric bill to be honest. I leave mine on for a long time and my parents dont seem to moan that it has gone up ( they blame the electiric company ) So yours should be consuming about 25watts maybe less because i bet you dont use it on full in the house.

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

Gone digital! NI audio 8 into guitar rig and ableton live!

AWESOME!
Quote by Roc8995
My 15W marshall draws 75 watts when fully cranked. A SS marshall will be more efficient, so I'd say maybe 30 watts at bedroom volume.
An incandescent light bulb draws anywhere from 60 to 100 watts. Compact fluorescent bulbs draw a fraction of that.
Your washing machine draws about 900 watts, and your dryer about 6000 (yes, six thousand) unless you've got a gas one, which you probably don't. So, a load of laundry is roughly the equivalent of playing your amp for 230 hours.

So, if you're trying to conserve electricity, hand wash your clothes, let them air dry, do double loads, buy another pair of jeans so you do laundry less often, and replace your incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent ones. Don't worry about your amp.

The more you know...
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
In tube amps wouldn't most of the power be drawn from the tubes anyway?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
^Tubes don't have any power themselves, they need the high voltage supplied from the power caps in the amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
If Nicoli Tesla had only invented tubes...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Soul Eater
In tube amps wouldn't most of the power be drawn from the tubes anyway?

Tubes don't magically generate power. In the end, all the power has to come from somewhere.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Roc8995

by far the most intelligent and straightforward answer i've ever seen on UG!
thanks
A little 15 watt SS practice amp will be close to what a TV uses. Im gonna imagine the TV is on whole lot more than your amp. Unplugging it wont make any difference amps dont have the zombie loads like DVD players, TVs, etc. If your roommate wants to save electric the much better place is the light bulbs and the zombie loads. All those little walwarts in the house use electric even when not charging a phone or what ever.