I found this cheap Strat copy at a yard sale a while back and decided to do some painting and electronics modification. Stuff that I was hesitant to try on my good Strat.
The name on the guitar was sanded off when I got it so I'm not 100% sure of the make but I think it's a Sanatoga brand judging by the shape of the headstock. The body looks like it was painted with house paint and a roller. It came with a decent trem assembly and jackplate. No tuners. No electronics.

Once I got it cleaned up as much as possible I set a spare pickguard assembly on it and took some "before" photos.

^comment on it, perhaps?

..is that the pickguard/electronics you'll be using for the 'final' guitar, or are you getting a ll new stuff?

and whats the plan for the rest of it?
refinish/electronics (if youre not using that pickguard)/something else?
looks good deluthe.

I called off work today i feel like ****
Gear

Jarrett Custom Les Paul
Epiphone Les Paul
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Last edited by josh15742 at Mar 11, 2009,
if its a rough paint job then just get it lightly sanded down, slap a black Pre-wired Pickgaurd , maybe a new neck? ooooo and some black tuners

Quote by Skwisgar
The trip would reach its climax when you came across a character filling a pool via fapping and attempting to drown innocent people in it

Quote by Diet_coke_head
I ran up and started screaming rape because I knew she would never cheat on me.
The plan: Spray can auto laquer. Funky wiring. Spare parts.

I don't plan on spending money on anything but paint and strings. I have no reason to believe this will ever be a great guitar so it's just for learning puposes. Mostly to practice my fretwork and painting.
everybody need to learn to setup a guitar somewhere. Good luck. If you do get it playing the way you want it then I'd suggest springing for some better pickups than the ones in the pic. Ceramic singles just aren't right.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by divinorum69
Looks great men, leave that paintjob is a nice color. Add a floyd so it has a purpose, if not the guitar will not be better than your other strat and you will not use it

note he said house paint, also, its a really bad colour.
and there's no need for more people with floyds.
Nope. There won't be any Floyd going in this one. I've had a few and they're not for me. And I have to say I'm not against ceramic magnets either. The ones pictured came from an old (late 80s?) lefty Cort strat and they sound good. I've heard Fender Std. Strats that sound even better with their ceramics. So, I appreciate the suggestions, honest, but I'm really not in a hurry to spend money to fix something that aint broken.
Found a set of tuning machines that fit. The neck has been partially sanded so I'm going to complete the sanding and refin the whole neck.

I'm using an old set of knobs that were painted green. Removing the paint and staining them to match the older pickup covers. Here's the donor guitar (lefty Cort). And the knobs being refinished.

I think those knobs (post-paint removal, of course) would go hella good on the body painted the way it is..

although I cant really tell from the pics in the OP how bad the paint job currently is, if it's that bad..
Quote by deluthe
I'm using an old set of knobs that were painted green. Removing the paint and staining them to match the older pickup covers. Here's the donor guitar (lefty Cort). And the knobs being refinished.

That Cort is unbelievably cool!

WANT. >.<

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
I know, right? If only it was right handed. I tried stringing it backwards and playing it hendrix style but the knobs are right in my way. Too bad cause it's a much better guitar than the Sanatoga. But the neck is very nice and I will use that on a future project.
Last edited by deluthe at Mar 15, 2009,
looking good
Gear

Jarrett Custom Les Paul
Epiphone Les Paul
Ibanez Artcore AS73
I hand-sanded the body to a smooth finish and hit it with some grey auto primer. I probably could've used the tan paint as a base coat but it was very glossy and I wanted to be sure the new paint had something to bond to. This pic was taken after the third primer coat. I kind of like the color...

Last edited by deluthe at Mar 15, 2009,
OK. Here we are after a few color coats. I've got the chrome all cleaned up and set in place for a quick photo. I'm using auto spray laquer and the finish is pretty nice but it's taking forever to dry.

I gave the entire neck a good sanding, except for the fretboard of course, and refinished it in tung oil. The fretboard got a good wood conditioner to bring back the color and moisture. The fret ends were a bit sharp so I worked on them a little and then polished the tops.

wow that colour is lovely wat shade of red is it?

nobody dies a virgin, life fucks with us all

(\_/)
(o_o)
_(u u)_
this is the bunny,
add this to your signature
to help him rule the world

come to the darkside.......................we have cookies.
I already threw the can out but it's automotive spray paint Red #321 or something like that. I'll check it out and get back to you on the exact color when I go to buy the clearcoat. The amount of money put into the guitar was limited to the cost of the two used yard sale strats and the paint. Here's a shot of the finished headstock.

Last edited by deluthe at Mar 22, 2009,
Here's a before and after shot. I'm happy with the results. I changed my mind a bit on the wiring schematic. It's now master volume/master tone and a bridge-on mini switch. So, no matter what pickup position I'm in, I can turn on the bridge pickup. It gives me the 2 non-Strat voicings that I like. #1- neck/bridge which has a very Tele-like twang. #2 is neck/mid/bridge and that full open sound of all 3 pickups crankin' at once.

Sweet, that's colour is kinda unique
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I really like it man. I hope it plays and sounds as nice as it looks for you.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Thanks. I think what makes the color look different is that it's not metallic. Just a solid red. Not too dark or light. Seems to have a slightly more old-school look to it in person. I'm looking for a nice pin-up girl decal for the back.

Last edited by deluthe at Mar 30, 2009,
The color looks freaking sweet dude.
I think you should put a black pickguard on it or just paint the one it has black.
That would look badass.
Quote by SGburnsRED
The color looks freaking sweet dude.
I think you should put a black pickguard on it or just paint the one it has black.
That would look badass.

Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.