Page 1 of 3
Went to a buddy's house yesterday for his birthday. His mother's name is Rene and his father's name is Jerry. I've known them for a few years now and I always addressed them by their names.

Well, yesterday I was in his house and I went down the hallway and I went to the restroom and as I walked out Rene walks out of her room and says, "Josh (that's my name, I know I know I want to change my name to afrothunder666 too), I'd like to talk to you about something."

I'm like, "Sure Rene is everything alright?"

She replies, "Well, I'm, from the west coast and where I'm from we address people with "Ms." or "Mr.", and I'm not trying to say you're being disrespectful, but I'd like if you'd call me 'Ms. Rene'"

At this point I was kind of upset and a little offended (she made it seem like every time I addressed her I was saying "Hey bitch!" or "You there! Woman!"), but since I was taught to be 'respectful' and 'courteous' so I replied, "Yeah, sure thing, I'm sorry."

And I walked away and the rest of the night was very awkward I don't think I'm ever going back.

What do you guys/gals think? How were you raised to address people?
Click here

Why were you taking orders from a woman again...?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Clever. You're right, I should've said, "Listen here woman! I call you whatever the sam hell I want! You're lucky I call you Rene, I should call you bitch."
Click here

Babies - by their first name.
Kids - by their first name.
Young adults - by their first name.
People in their twenties - by their first name.
Age 30+ people, depending on how comfortable I am with them - either by their first name or by Mr./Mrs./Ms.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Age 30+ people, depending on how comfortable I am with them - either by their first name or by Mr./Mrs./Ms.

This.
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
i just don't say thier name or ms/ mr or anything i just try and grab thier attention, pretty much because of your exact situation.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
I call everyone by their first names.
People are bastards. Bastardcoated bastards with bastardfilling.
She's a stuck up old shite with her head up her ass.

Tell her you'd like to be adressed as Sgt. Cockalot, see how she reacts.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

I call people what comes to my mind first... usually its "Ah, ****....uhmm, (guess)..."

She sounds like a saggy vagcake about it though. Its a lot more casual and friendly to call someone by their first name, and whenever they make it a point to be called by a title, I realize they are self-righteous.
Quote by darkstar2466

Seems fair, but I always felt very comfortable with them. The bit that bothered me the most was she made it seem like I was disrespecting her by calling her by her name.

Quote by ProphetToJables
i just don't say thier name or ms/ mr or anything i just try and grab thier attention, pretty much because of your exact situation.

Twas an awkward situation it was. You're smart.
Click here

Sorry for the double post, but it looks like everybody is on board with me here (which makes me feel better about it, bottom line: she's a ***** and I'm still a good kid).
Click here

Quote by Stoner0405
I call my best friend's mom "mom".

Hey it's your fault you got kicked out of home for being such a pussy and not strangling that little puppy like you were told!

Spartan upbringing FTW!
Quote by RoamingConflict
This one dream involved me, one random girl, midgets and a pie.

...and midgets ended up f*cking her. I got the pie.

if their within like ten years of my age i just call them by their first name, but if their 30 or 40 or whatever, I usually add Mr/Ms. to it.
My gear:

Memphis les paul (fixin it up as we speak!)
Schecter C1 plus
Ibanez RX 240 (been sold)
Peavey envoy 110 (Pretty dang good!)
Some washburn acoustic...
Quote by Kensai
Why were you taking orders from a woman again...?

more importantly, why was a woman out the kitchen?
Quote by afrothunder666
Sorry for the double post, but it looks like everybody is on board with me here (which makes me feel better about it, bottom line: she's a ***** and I'm still a good kid).

i definetly feel if you've been calling them by their first name this long shes being a huge *****...Probably to full of herself. I mean, I add ms or mr but thats because it's what i do.
My gear:

Memphis les paul (fixin it up as we speak!)
Schecter C1 plus
Ibanez RX 240 (been sold)
Peavey envoy 110 (Pretty dang good!)
Some washburn acoustic...
Manners make thus man. Is this how the saying goes?

Well, good manners are extremely important in my opinion.
Just be polite.

Everyone younger than me and my peers are called by their first name.

Starting from college grads (unless I'm told otherwise), starts to get a Mr./Mrs./Ms.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
I don't really use any of them....I don't address many people in any way other than eye contact or something like that.....
Whatever happened to sweet Jane?
Age 30+ people, depending on how comfortable I am with them - either by their first name or by Mr./Mrs./Ms.*insert last name*
Quote by Stoner0405
I call my best friend's mom "mom".

this, but for some reason i still call his dad Dr."" even though he's told me to call him by his first name, force of habit i guess.
Quote by Eminored
Hentai. It's a completely different world that will rip your eye-sockets and and skull-screw you with its tentacles.
if i meet someone's parents i'll start off calling them mr *surname* and mrs *surname* unless when we were introduced they asked me to call them something else. most people will say "oh just call me *first name*" at some point anyway if you keep calling them by a more formal name.

i find it weird that she wanted you to call her ms rene, rather than ms/mrs *surname* tbh
from daylight...
...into darkness
Quote by darkstar2466

Pretty much this.
Quote by darkstar2466

This.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

If someone is in a position of authority over me, I'll give them a title, but otherwise it's their first name. If I'm in a formal situation, and I'm introduced to them with their last name, then I might take the hint, but I really don't see the point of titles. Respect is intangible and can't just be condensed into a two or three letter word. If I call someone "Mr" something then it doesn't mean I respect them.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I call everyone the way I was introduced to them.

A guy at my church who runs the music program and is going to eventually be Pastor, I'm allowed to just call him by his first name (everyone does, and he's only 5 or 6 years older than me)

but I dont
I call him "Mr. Howard"

...occasionally I call him Reverend Howard, but that's a joke.

most people's parents I call them "Mr." or "Mrs" whatever

a couple of my friends mothers I refer to as "mom" and they call me "honey" so...it works haha
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Infant- first name
Child- first name
Teen- first name
Young adult (20+, maybe 18 if they're some authority figure)- Mr/Mrs or as otherwise intended
Adults- Mr/Mrs
I'm a well-mannered person and I've always been VERY polite to them if not overly polite. Now that I think about it, she's always been the kind of person who always wants to be answered to. Like she's the boss. I would feel awkward if I called my teachers or my doctor by their first name, but she's just my friend's mom. Not like she has any importance on my life.
Click here

My natural instinct would be to use their first name, given the background you provided. But if she would rather use the Ms term, I would respect that 100%.

I very much doubt that it's anything personal to you, just a comfort thing by the sounds of things.

I'm sure you'll BOTH feel odd the first few times but eventually it will all be cool.

In short - if she's asking you to use the title Ms, you should do it out of respect.
I don't address adults by mrs or mr or whatever, unless it's a lecturer (and so i call them mr, dr or proffesor etc - even then the ones i actually like I refer to by their first names).

It's silly that people want young people to call them by titles. you don't get respect just for being 40, lol.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by Howard2k
My natural instinct would be to use their first name, given the background you provided. But if she would rather use the Ms term, I would respect that 100%.

I very much doubt that it's anything personal to you, just a comfort thing by the sounds of things.

I'm sure you'll BOTH feel odd the first few times but eventually it will all be cool.

In short - if she's asking you to use the title Ms, you should do it out of respect.

You're right. If I see her again, I will address her by how she wants to be addressed.
I don't mind that at all. What I did mind was her acting like I was being disrespectful and she made it seem like I didn't have any manners whatsoever.
Click here

It seems to me that US or more strict than UK in social situations like this.

The often used 'Mam' for instants is not used as much over here. Maybe it is a generalization, But in film (hollywood) it seems USA people are more formal.
I've never called a person "Mr." or "Ms." in my life.
DeVillains!
What a bitch, I usually call friends parents by Mr/Mrs 'insert friends name here'. It's the best way as i very rarely know their real names.

Small writing in the middle of big sig.

Page 1 of 3