hey,

i just recentley sold my 6505 and bought a mesa single recto : )

very pleased.

im running it through a marshall 1960av cab. this offers 4 ohms or 16 ohms.
i was running my peavey at 16ohms head and cab. im running my mesa at 8ohm head to 16ohm cab which i was told was fine and better than running at 4ohms head and cab!?

also im thinkin of getting a thd hot plate but im unsure of what ohm one i will need?
8ohms or 16ohms?
i would have thought its the 8 as thats what the head is running but no 100%sure.

lastly, as i play small gigs with my half stack is it worth using the hot plate for gigging as well to push the amp more? anyone do this or are they purley for home use???

thanks for any help.
own;
peavey 6505
marshall 1960av cab
esp ltd ec1000 18V M0D
schecter black hawk
prs standard 24 platinum grey
ibanez aeg10e acoustic

want;
dual rectifier 3 channel head
prs custom 24
tremonti se (duncan p/ups)
schecter tempest (red)
I think how it goes is your cab must be running Equal or Higher ohms than your head, but not the other way around so your good with that.

It would make sense to me that the hotplate should be the same ohm as the head, not the cab.
1990 Gibson LP Studio
2007 American Deluxe Stratocaster
2006 Taylor 510-ce
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/mass.htm

I'd recommend one of these over the THD, it even has a multi-impedance knob so you can use it on any amp!

Be sure to get the 100watt Mass though.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Running an 8 ohm head into a 16 ohm cab is just fine. Running 8 ohms into 4 is probably a bad idea, so you're doing it right.

You'd want the 8 ohm hot plate. Match it to the head; after that you can plug the hotplate into any impedance cab you like.

As far as gigs, attenuators are very helpful, especially since you'll be playing small gigs with a rather large amp- I'd even venture to say that attenuators are more useful at gigs than at home. Just a side note, you might want to look into Weber MASS attenuators or the Dr.Z airbrake instead of the hotplate.
It' s no problem plugging in a cab that has a ohm rating higher than the head, you just lose a percentage of your potential max volume - which isn't really an issue with running an attenuator because that's the whole point.

I have the Weber Mass lite 100. It's rated @ 8 ohm's. There's no ohm switch. The website says it can be used on 4, 8 and 16 ohm Amps (I don't know about the 16 tho...I'd call them up if I were to plug into one of those).

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/masslite.htm
little confused, why aren't you running 16ohm output to 16ohm cab input, or using the 4ohm output into the 4ohm input on the cab? Ideally you should be matching the head and cab with the same impedance, especially if you're going to mess around with attenuation.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
the reason for that is that the single rectifier only has 4 or 8ohm outputs. also i have been told since by MESA that 4ohm to 4ohm is to lower response or frequency or sum ****, i can remember lol. they just said it would be better to run 8ohm to 16ohm.
own;
peavey 6505
marshall 1960av cab
esp ltd ec1000 18V M0D
schecter black hawk
ibanez aeg10e acoustic

want;
prs custom 24
schecter tempest (red)
Quote by marshall_01
the reason for that is that the single rectifier only has 4 or 8ohm outputs. also i have been told since by MESA that 4ohm to 4ohm is to lower response or frequency or sum ****, i can remember lol. they just said it would be better to run 8ohm to 16ohm.

hmm, that's interesting, I think that's the first time I've heard that. Normally with a tube amp, it's always better to run the impedance matched. That's interesting that Mesa told you that however. Have you tried it both ways, to see if there is a distinguishable difference in sound?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I like mesa, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't trust a thing they said. Have you ever read that explanation for not having an adjustable bias on their amps? I'll recap

"blah, blah, blah, only mesa tubes, blah, blah"
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
yeah i understand what your saying.
anyway in the recto manual it has pictures and says 8ohm into 16ohm speaker cab ok mismatch.
ive phoed a few shops and theyve said its fine also.

im still thinkin maybe change my cab yet tho.
i ove the orange 4x12s with vintage 30s in, can u get em in 8ohm tho?

also does anyone run 4ohms in 4ohms. it sounds fine to me, bit bassier i guess. i was just under the impression that higher ohms were better, also on the machine head the blackening album dvd robb flynn is recording and having tone issues on his rig, he later finds out and says it was because they were plugged into the 4ohms on his marshall BV cab?

i dunno???

lol,
own;
peavey 6505
marshall 1960av cab
esp ltd ec1000 18V M0D
schecter black hawk
ibanez aeg10e acoustic

want;
prs custom 24
schecter tempest (red)
Quote by marshall_01
yeah i understand what your saying.
anyway in the recto manual it has pictures and says 8ohm into 16ohm speaker cab ok mismatch.
ive phoed a few shops and theyve said its fine also.

im still thinkin maybe change my cab yet tho.
i ove the orange 4x12s with vintage 30s in, can u get em in 8ohm tho?

also does anyone run 4ohms in 4ohms. it sounds fine to me, bit bassier i guess. i was just under the impression that higher ohms were better, also on the machine head the blackening album dvd robb flynn is recording and having tone issues on his rig, he later finds out and says it was because they were plugged into the 4ohms on his marshall BV cab?

i dunno???

lol,

Ohm's is a resistance rating. Bigger/smaller does not matter with regard to quality. When you match, you are the most efficient.

8 ohm has less resistance than 16 ohm... so a 16 ohm cab plugged into a 8 ohm head is not drawing it's full potential. Think of liquid poured through a paper towel tube - and the same volume poured though a funnel. When you match ohm's you get the straight tube (a fast even flow) when you pour into a funnel, you get a bottleneck (that's the 16 ohm cab). If you miss-match the other way (8 ohm cab into a 16 ohm head), the cab is trying to pull more than the head can provide (less resistance), and you over-load the head.

You can wire up the cab to make it 8 or 16 ohm's. It depends on the wiring and the ohm ratings of the speaker.

Check this...
http://www.jumbosunshade.com/swd01.htm
Last edited by 667 at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by Roc8995
Running an 8 ohm head into a 16 ohm cab is just fine. Running 8 ohms into 4 is probably a bad idea, so you're doing it right.

You'd want the 8 ohm hot plate. Match it to the head; after that you can plug the hotplate into any impedance cab you like.

As far as gigs, attenuators are very helpful, especially since you'll be playing small gigs with a rather large amp- I'd even venture to say that attenuators are more useful at gigs than at home. Just a side note, you might want to look into Weber MASS attenuators or the Dr.Z airbrake instead of the hotplate.

although one of the cool things about mesas is they are designed you so can pretty much run them into any cab at any ohms and not be too worried.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
although one of the cool things about mesas is they are designed you so can pretty much run them into any cab at any ohms and not be too worried.

You can't say they're cabs can run on "any" head regardless of rating. Yea, the cabs might have multple ohm options that make them more compatable with stuff out there, but you still have to obey the ohm rules.
He meant the amps, the amps are designed to run into any impedance. The only thing you couldn't do is run a 4 ohm out to a 16 ohm cab or a 16 ohm out to a 4 ohm cab. Otherwise it's fair game.

You can't rewire a 16 ohm 4x12 for 8 ohms since it hat 4 16 ohm speaker.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
If you're set on getting an attenuator anyway, the attenuator just needs to match the output on the amp. The attenuator doesn't care what speaker loads you connect to it, so you could use any cab you like, as long as there is SOME attenuation.

Although-this may be a good question for Colin-if an 8 ohm attenuator is cranked down (less attenuation/volume level up) to zero attenuation, does it provide the same 8 ohm load, or does it give a true bypass & then let the actual speaker load become the load?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Kevin Saale
He meant the amps, the amps are designed to run into any impedance. The only thing you couldn't do is run a 4 ohm out to a 16 ohm cab or a 16 ohm out to a 4 ohm cab. Otherwise it's fair game.

You can't rewire a 16 ohm 4x12 for 8 ohms since it hat 4 16 ohm speaker.

Ah.
My bad.
Quote by riffhog
Although-this may be a good question for Colin-if an 8 ohm attenuator is cranked down (less attenuation/volume level up) to zero attenuation, does it provide the same 8 ohm load, or does it give a true bypass & then let the actual speaker load become the load?

The THD Hotplate and the Dr. Z Airbrake both pass the signal directly to the speaker when at 0 attenuation, I don't know 100% about the MASS but I think that design might have something else going on where full volume is a tiny bit attenuated, so the load is still there.
I think it's safe to say that the speaker is the load when the attenuation is at 0 for most attenuators though.
^They have a bypass switch. They also offer foot switchable bypass for an extra fee.