Tried to learn yyz the other day and realized with 2 fingers I just was not fast enough. Now that I am trying to make picking with 3 a habit, I have some questions.

1. What kind of pattern should I do with my fingers? At the moment my middle is to slow to do some kind of 12321232 pattern. I have been practicing with a 321 type.

2. What are some good exercises for making this a habit?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
The 321 is the one I normally do, but i've also been wondering the same thing.
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
just keep practicing 123212321, and ure middle finger will eventually gain the speed :P
i think =)
~Carl
Im not a bass player so correct me if im wrong, but wouldn't using an odd number of fingers (3 in your case) mess up your timing alot? As most songs are in even time signatures, so it would be easier to count and time your playing if you played with two fingers only.
Are You Shpongled..?
Quote by nugiboy
Im not a bass player so correct me if im wrong, but wouldn't using an odd number of fingers (3 in your case) mess up your timing alot? As most songs are in even time signatures, so it would be easier to count and time your playing if you played with two fingers only.

Nope, it's a habit.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by nugiboy

Well, I play bass with at most 3 fingers,, I just switch between 1, 2 or 3 depending on the kind of pattern I'm playing and the speed needed. It comes pretty natural if you do play bass.
Then I shall insert my erect penis into the narrow vaginal cavity of my blood-relative whom I predate by approximately 5 years.
Quote by nugiboy

That's not always the case. It would if you just use the 321321 pattern, but if you were to say do a 3212 pattern it wouldn't mess up your timing if you practiced it and got it down to muscle memory.
GAS List:
Nothing
Quote by nugiboy

3 fingers, unless you get a good pattern going like 12321 or something, im not sure, it works as a way to stop your 2 fingers getting tired out when playing fast, so essentially you can play the same speed as you can go with two fingers, but for a lot longer when you use three. yo ucan achieve more speed with three as well but thats what i use my three finger playing for mostly.

but it doesnt mess up your timing a lot, just when yo utend to go REALLY fast you seem to get into a triplet pattern, well i do haha.
Quote by learnerlegend
my dog's barks are more interesting than their 4/4 hits

^ Regarding AC/DC
Quote by Flummery
That's not always the case. It would if you just use the 321321 pattern, but if you were to say do a 3212 pattern it wouldn't mess up your timing if you practiced it and got it down to muscle memory.

Have to say I use 1 3 2 1 3 2 etc. myself,, ^^
Then I shall insert my erect penis into the narrow vaginal cavity of my blood-relative whom I predate by approximately 5 years.
Quote by DespisedIcon
Nope, it's a habit.

I'm a bass player. Two fingers is fast enough you just haven't got your speed up yet.

If you must include another finger, use your thumb. You can hit down, then up with you thumb, then follow with your two fingers. It takes some practice, but you'll be lightning fast after about a month.

For video's on this surf around for Victor Wooten lessons, he pioneered the technique.

If you would like your mind blown watch this video of him utilizing the technique. I highly suggest looking up the lesson he has for this also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FvXUVHECwM
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
I asked my teacher about this the other day, and he said it's not really worth it, because of the angle you for your index and middle to strike evenly puts the third out of range of the strings. Maybe someone can elaborate what I'm saying? You almost need to picture it in your mind.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Well from what I can see, it seems like it'd cause a strain injury in your little finger...

I play with two fingers, 'cause it's by far the most comfortable to play (for me). I'd advise you to just work on your speed.
Yeah 2 fingers SHOULD be good enough because its not truly necessary to play so fast. But in your case all anyone can really suggest is just look up some lessons and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
imo 3-2-1 is priceless for playing Iron Maiden
i mean yeah, you could play it with 2 fingers, but what's the point?
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
I tend to use the body of the bass to kinda push my hand back in.

Honestly, I hate using three fingers most of the time.

Play slow with two fingers. Play accurate. Build up.
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112
Iommi has work done to it.

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
Quote by capslockisnton
imo 3-2-1 is priceless for playing Iron Maiden
i mean yeah, you could play it with 2 fingers, but what's the point?

Heh, i started playing with three fingers because of The Trooper. +1

Anyway, it can definitely be necessary to play that fast kabloo. Mainly during metal though and really only when you just wanna keep up with the guitars. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378173 is a perfect thread on that matter.

3 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 3 is really fluid but it seems kinda inefficient to have your fingers go one then the other way over and over and over but it does definitely work.

3 - 2 - 1 - 3 - 2 - 1 is also really good, but you usually get a triplet sound which probably isnt a sound your willing to constantly deal with but it is easier.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
YYZ has a lot of string crossing.
So I don't see how using 3 fingers would help?

I can play it pretty well with 2.

I use 3-2-1 when I use 3 fingers. But mainly on fast breakdowns or faster triplets.
It's hard doing 3-2 on one string and 1 on another..
Quote by nugiboy

Well I find in alot of metal when you have a 16th, 16th, 8th triplet"ish" thingy, three fingers are a must

Quote by Thegian
Heh, i started playing with three fingers because of The Trooper. +1

Same here.

And as for the pattern, i do 3-2-1.
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Last edited by PluckU at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by samskii
I asked my teacher about this the other day, and he said it's not really worth it, because of the angle you for your index and middle to strike evenly puts the third out of range of the strings. Maybe someone can elaborate what I'm saying? You almost need to picture it in your mind.

That's the problem I had with playing with 3 fingers. My index and middle finger would be fine but I'd have to put my wrist at an odd angle to get my ring finger to hit. Which would end up moving my middle finger further away from where I wanted it so it slowed me down even more.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
Quote by nugiboy

it actually doesn't once you're used to it.

i just played the trooper over and over to build ring finger speed.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
doesnt Geddy play with 1 finger most of the time anyhow? i couldve sworn i saw some videos of him just using one and sometimes two
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
Quote by gwath42
YYZ has a lot of string crossing.
So I don't see how using 3 fingers would help?

I can play it pretty well with 2.

I use 3-2-1 when I use 3 fingers. But mainly on fast breakdowns or faster triplets.
It's hard doing 3-2 on one string and 1 on another..

Well in the intro when it does the whole
-------------------------------6-8-9--------
-----------------------6-7-9----------------
---------------6-7-9------------------------
-------8-8-9--------------------------------

part I figured since it was easier to use 3 fingers for 3 notes. I could just 321 then move up the string instead of 212 or something like that.
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
O.K. With the whole string skipping thing and everything this is what I do and it may or may not be your thing.

When I skip around strings and doing arpeggios and stuff like when going from a smaller string to a bigger one I just use the same finger that already hit the first note to hit the second in a floating/speed picking kind of fashion. However; When I go to a smaller string from a bigger string I just hit it with whatever finger is next. All in all I could care less if I'm using a finger plucking patter. I just go with the finger that will get there the most fluidly and quickly.
Quote by nugiboy

Not if you use the 12321232 pattern.
TITS!

no thats not spam, and no i am not bored
>.>
<.<
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
I'll go with three fingers if I'm playing an Iron Maiden song for that gallop (though Harris uses two). Most of the time I use two though, thinking the 121212 in my head just feels more consistent and natural for most riffs in songs with regular timing. Some songs have that triplet feel though and that's when I'll bring my ring-finger in.
just keep practicing 321321 at a constant speed but i dont think its practical for playing extensively id just use a pick if you need to use 3 fingers to keep pace and i find i just use 3 more to add to the rhythm of the part for a quick burst of speed