hey all, im not entirely sure if this is in the right place but i was wondering about how you all write any of the licks you frequently use when you improvise. i cant work out how to write interesting ways of ascending and descending scales and its really bugging me :/
thanks
Depends what I am going for. I usually start off with a pull-off to bend combo thingy (ex: pull off c to b then bend c)

But I dont really have specified "licks" besides a couple hammer on/pull off patterns.
Dont write, just play. Writing has its place Im sure, but the whole point of improvising is playing off the cuff, with nothing planned. Try noodeling around and play from the heart.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
that is what i do, yeah, i just often feel like what i really want to do is a real fast little run down the scale at the end of the solo or whatever and i can never really get it.
ok, well try to hear what you want in your head and figure it out on the fretboard. work it out slowly (or at speed, whatevers easier) and then build it up till you get to the speed you want.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
you just gotta build up a little vocabulairy,
just play around and remember the parts you like, and play them untill you can sing it without an instrument,
now applying them in any situation (key, speed, phrasing etc) is easy.
just make sure it's not going to be lick- lick - lick, but lines with some licks at the end, middle or beginning
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin