Hey UG'ers,

I have just purchased some new gear to record music in decent quality, but I need a bit of help determining what kinds of cords and plugs I will need to hook everything together to make it work.

So basically, I want to record music through my laptop. For this, I have two microphones and a preamp (just bought). I'm using an AudioBuddy off of a recommendation from UG. And then my two mics are the Shure SM58 and SM57.

To this point, I only have one of those mic cords (don't know what these are called), which connected my microphone into my computer. Of course, I also have a small converter to make the microphone cable hook into the microphone jack on my computer (1/4" or something, I forget the name of that size jack). Now that I have another microphone and a preamp, I have no idea how I am supposed to get two microphones through a preamp and the preamp to the computer.

Any ideas?
My Gear:
- Schecter S-1 Diamond Series w/ Duncan pickups
- Marshall JCM 900 Half-Stack
- Crybaby 535 Wah-Wah
- BOSS MT-2

Recording: SM58, SM57, M-Audio "AudioBuddy"
"You've Got to Belong To It"
XLR to XLR for connecting the mics to the preamp, power cable for the audiobuddy(duh), 1/4" to 1/8" cable to go from the output to the mic socket on the computer, assuming you have a decent sound card?
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
OK. For the mics to go to the preamp, you need:

2x XLR Leads

for the preamp to the computer you just need:

1x 1/4" jack lead
1x 1/4" jack to 1/8" jack converter.

However, you're going to experience latency unless you have a very good sound card, so I'd recommend a decent audio interface as well.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA222.aspx

NOTE: You'll just need a jack to RCA connecter to connect the preamp to this interface, though other interfaces are available which use 1/4" jacks. Be aware of which type you buy.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Mar 9, 2009,
What is a sound card that you all would recommend?
I currently have some type of "SigmaTel High Definition Audio" that came on my Dell Inspiron 1720. I have no idea what would make a card good or bad, so I am open to suggestion... or if my card is good enough let me know!
My Gear:
- Schecter S-1 Diamond Series w/ Duncan pickups
- Marshall JCM 900 Half-Stack
- Crybaby 535 Wah-Wah
- BOSS MT-2

Recording: SM58, SM57, M-Audio "AudioBuddy"
"You've Got to Belong To It"
Like I said, I would invest in an audio interface over a sound card (it takes the strain of converting the audio signal to computer code off of your sound card).