I've bought my first electric guitar last August (a Ibanez GRG 270BK with standard 0.009 strings).

Some time ago my high e string snapped when tuning up from drop B.
No problem, bought new strings (0.010), replaced the high e and tuned it again.

A week of constant tuning payed off to let it snap again a week later.

This time I replaced all the strings (otherwise I would die in all the other strings that remain...)

And you can probably guess, yesterday it broke again!!!

The strings break while I'm tuning my guitar btw.

They all broke on one spot, on the head right on the headstock at the tuning pegs.

What can I be doing wrong?

If you need any more info, just ask
Don't keep changing the tuning of your guitar. I mean Drop B to standard on 0.009s is hell. If you want to play in drop B you'll need 0.011s or 0.012s and you can't tune to standard without a lot of adjustments.
Sorry, what do you mean with 'good' ?

If you mean the tuning, it would be EADGBE
Quote by Malchius
Don't keep changing the tuning of your guitar. I mean Drop B to standard on 0.009s is hell. If you want to play in drop B you'll need 0.011s or 0.012s and you can't tune to standard without a lot of adjustments.

That's just why I'll never ever do it again!

The only alternative tuning I use if I can play without that string snapping is drop D
If ur often tuning down then tuning back up to standard, the strings will be under differing amounts of tension in each tuning and when u tune back up, the e would probably break (if u do it often enough). That might be your problem. I would recommend trying to keep the guitar in your preferred tuning as often as possible and avoid drastic changes in tuning. Its alright to drop down a bit now and again but if u do it regularly, its a better idea getting a second guitar for the other tuning!
I guess it would because of how you are stringing the guitar or maybe you are tuning up way too quickly, seeing as you are going from Drop B to Standard? Or maybe you just have a faulty guitar. I would recommend stretching your strings and tune up slowly.
Yeah you said you were tuning from Drop B B-F#-B-E-G#-Db to Standard E-A-D-G-b-e which is 2 and half tones difference. You cannot expect to play 9s and keep that tuning. You also can't expect to jump between tunings like that either.

In short stick to one tuning.
Last edited by Malchius at Mar 9, 2009,
thanks for that info

On prob, when it broke yesterday I haven't ever played on it! (it was the time I changed the whole thing from 0.009 to 0.010 and had to adjust the brigde + wait for it to settle down). Picked it up to play again, go to tune it (wasn't very much off pitch) and when I'm about to tune the high e it goes again.

I'll keep in mind to keep my guitar tuned to standard if the next string doesn't break after 1-2 weeks o_0
The drop B + 0.009 thingy isn't that important since I've installed 0.010 after that incident and never tuned to drop B again
Last edited by Myth1c at Mar 9, 2009,
Sorry you keep double posting and when I read your reply I thought your were talking to me, seeing as most people answer everyone in one post it's easy to be confused.
yea sorry for that, when i'm writing a reply and post it a new reply has appeared and I have to answer to that to, or I come up with a new thing (like my last post)

Next time I think I'll just edit it in to keep it a bit cleaner

So I gues's I'll just put the string back up tomorrow, tune it, don't change tuning so much and well, just try to not break it again

One little thing, a friend of mine told me that it doesn't matter the string is tuned or not. It can be tuned with to much tention.
Is this true?
I know it sounds really noobish, but I'm only playing guitar since april 2008 and electric since september 2008 :P
Last edited by Myth1c at Mar 9, 2009,
Only if you over tune the string past e. Check your bridge and your nut haven't got any sharps parts on them
keep it tuned in the same tuning, like everyone else said.

Make sure your adjusting the right string? as noobish as that is

i dont know what strings your using...but maybe try something else?

its a bit crazy to keep doing the same thing over and over expecting something different
Its not uncommon to break a string when changing the tuning that much. Standard to half step down or maybe a step down. But standard to drop b then back up is asking alot from a string. Cant imagine its gonna play real well in drop b with .009s.
maybe you should get heavy top low bottom strings
my mate uses them and he tunes his guitar to drop c drop d and bmth tuning then back up to EADGBE and he has had no problems with strings snapping
i dont know what strings your using...but maybe try something else?

D'Addario Nickel Wound XL Regular Light Gauge 0.010

Anyway, thanks for the ultimate fast responses everybody. I'll see what I can do with all the tips everybody gave