Alright, I know I've been posting tons of questions, and I'm sure all of you guys hate me by now.
But I have another question.
I'm thinking now I'll be making my own neck, fingerboard, fretting, and inlays. Instead of spending about $200, I'll spend about 100 and gain some great experience.
For the inlays, what would be the best tools? I'll be doing it on a macassar ebony fretboard. Should I go router bits or chisels? Recommendations of brands/sizes?
For the fretting, would it be easier and worth the extra money to just buy a pre-slotted one at Stewmac? I can get a blank on ebay for only 13 quid, and on Stewmac a preslotted one goes for 25 quid. If I do slot it myself, would it be easier to buy some sort of fret-slotting knife? Or could I go chisel, or just sharp pocketknife (I'm guessing that last ones a really bad idea)?
And one last thing, for the truss rod, I just have to make sure I've got it really really straight, and then I can just use a router correct?
Sorry for my noobishness. Help appreciated.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Last edited by Baby Joel at Mar 9, 2009,
If you think you're going to build a neck, fretboard, and inlays for 100 you're crazy. Inlays are very expensive.
███████████████████████████████████
Hardly. For only 25 quid I can get an entire set of the Gibson Standard gold abalone block shape things.

But instead of you posting useless comments that make me feel like I'm never going to do this, how about you help out?
it's all coming back

Personally, I'd go for pre-slotted. Just make sure you have the measurements right.

However, the pocket knife is a terrible Idea, as well as the chisel.
I'd recommend not doing it unless you have a completly steady hand and some carpenter skills.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
What tools would I use if I wanted to do it myself?
it's all coming back

If your only making one neck, it would be best to buy as little tools as necessary,
Because of that, go the pre slotted route.
Inlay material is expensive. Pre cut ones on ebay are not.
For shaping the neck, your gonna need a either a rasp, or spokeshave, plus some low grit sander paper.
If your doing a laminate neck, your gonna need a planer, if its one piece you wont.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Thanks much for the help.
I'm doing a one piece, and I am getting pre-made inlays.
Thanks much for the links to Stewmac. I always forget to look there.

One more question, I'm doing the Les Paul Standard 'Crown' inlays, what tools/router bits should I use to make the inlays?
it's all coming back

Quote by tona_107
If you think you're going to build a neck, fretboard, and inlays for 100 you're crazy. Inlays are very expensive.

some people like a challenge.
Quote by Baby Joel
Thanks much for the help.
I'm doing a one piece, and I am getting pre-made inlays.
Thanks much for the links to Stewmac. I always forget to look there.

One more question, I'm doing the Les Paul Standard 'Crown' inlays, what tools/router bits should I use to make the inlays?

a Dremel, and some of these.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44924
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Yeah, you'll definitely need a fine saw for fretting... There's not a snowflake's chance in hell that you'll be able to chisel a fret slot or slice it with a knife.

And those small-tipped bits in metalwarrior's link will do fine. But they won't make totally crisp corners, so you'll probably want to clean those up with a sharp chisel.
Ah, thanks much.
So I'll use the fine saw from Stewmac, and those bits that Metalwarrior linked me too.
Would a router work instead of a dremel, or would it not be accurate enough?
it's all coming back

No way, most routers will probably be too powerful and bulky for inlay work, you wont be able to control it by hand, it'll either rip the fretboard up or shatter the bit.

Get a dremel and a dremel router bass.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Inlay,_pearl/Tools_and_supplies_for:_Inlay,_pearl_cutting/1/Precision_Router_Base/Details.html#details

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
That's what I suspected.
Thanks much for the help!
it's all coming back

Definitly go with a pre slotted fingerboard for now. And inlay material is only expensive if you use expensive stuff (like pearl). An inlay doesn't have to be MoP or Abalone, use wood veneer, its cheap and easy to work with so you dont have to worry about screwing up. Save the expensive stuff for after you are comfortable with your skills.