Okay i'm building my own custom superstrat guitar and i#m doing some needless LED displays on it.
I also want to use a master volume pot and a balance pot between two pickups.

And the special thing i want to do with it is to add 2 seven-segment-displays on each pot. like if the balance is on the bridge pickup it shows 0 goes up to 9 and only the neck pickup is 0 again.

Does anyone have experiences with that kind of stuff??
I used 7-segment-displays at school but only theoretical...
Is it at least possible??

Help would be pretty nice
Guitars/Basses:
-Ibanez SZ-520QM (D-Sonic/Air Norton)
-Ibanez RG-370
-ESP ltd B-55
Amps/Effects/Rig:
-Engl E530 + 930/60 Poweramp
-POD X3L
I don't have any comments other than, LED's on a guitar are going to be fucking SEXY. And bump.
███████████████████████████████████
that's a wicked idea man, i got nothing on electronics but post pics when you're done.

I had an idea where you put a single red LED under the strings in between the pickups and have it flash like a heart-beat.
Well, visit my sig'd thread for some info. You won't find anything about 7-segment LEDs, though, because what you want to do is prolly gonna be more complicated than what would be worth it for such a small result, imho.

Before you ask: No, Idk how to wire the segmented LEDs. You'd need to make or buy some kind of sensing controler thingamabob.
I'm going to ask my teacher tomorrow if this could be possible but i just wanted to hear some opinions or maybe some guys that does something like this before

i know its way to complicated but i love this needless ****

im just kind of bored with all this standard stuff my guitar is simply going to be different ;-)
Guitars/Basses:
-Ibanez RG-370
-ESP ltd B-55
Amps/Effects/Rig:
-POD X3L
I dont know if you'll be able to do the seven segment displays, only because you would need the leads on the display to change as you turned the knob. If you can find a pot that's also a rotary switch or someting similar, then you can probably make it work. I don't know of anything like that though.
i believe you'd want to use rotary encoders for the pots. i also believe that this is a bad idea too, not because i'm already anti-led when it comes to guitars but rather because it doesnt seem useful, practical or remotely cool. anyway you'll need a controller board in there as well and i recommend any one of the flavors of arduino board that is out there.
okay thanks for the replies

i talked to my teacher and he is gonna try to draw me some schematics
but he also thinks it seems pretty hard to realize

so another idea came up
what do you think of a circle of LEDs that shows the current status of the pot?
like line 6 uses on their spiders or something like that

and i also want to use a REAl killswitch to turn of the electronics
Guitars/Basses:
-Ibanez RG-370
-ESP ltd B-55
Amps/Effects/Rig:
-POD X3L
Well if you want to try the led circle, what you MIGHT be able to do is to put different value resistors on each led. That way, as the pot's resistance increases/decreases, the voltage will only get to some/all of the leds. So, say you turn the knob so it's all neck pickup, only one led lights. And, as you turn the knob to the bridge, more leds light up. I'm not sure if it'll work, i'ts a pretty crazy idea, and idk too much about guitar electronics, like if you have enough voltage to do something like that, but that's pretty much the only way I can think of, without getting too crazy with transistors and stuff...
^I really doubt that'd work. You'd need a rotary, else the LEDs will just be in parallel and the voltage will try to go to every one of them. The pot would have no effect.
like i said before, rotary encoders and some sort of controller like arduino is probably the best way to do this.
I have an idea for the circle of LEDs pot,

use a stacked pot, the top pot as volume or whatever, and the bottom pot for the LEDs. Join both shafts.
Open the bottom pot up, scratch the resistive layer radially, and solder LEDs circumpherencially (or whatever you call it), so that the needle of the pot touches only one led terminal at a point.

This way you get rid of the electronic troubles, but you may find other difficulties idk.

here you go a crappy example with 3 leds, you'll get the idea

EDIT: Another thing you could do, is just solder the LEDs to the resistive layer, so that every LED will light up, but the brighter one will tell you where the needle is, and the rest of them will have a light fading patern from the point where the needle is
Attachments:
crap.JPG
Last edited by bazuriya at Mar 11, 2009,