Recently i've been trying to learn more music theory so i started reading The Crusade Columns by Josh Urban but i'm now stuck at lesson 8.

link: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/the_crusade_part_8_key_signatures_and_the_circle_of_fifths.html

I think i understand how the circle of fifths work but there is one thing that confuses me.
If you look at the circle it says that the key of C# major has 7 sharp notes and since the scale has a total of 7 notes i'm guessing that every note in the scale should be sharp?
But if i'm not wrong the third note of the C# major scale is an F and the seventh note is a C?
So in other words: How can there even be a major scale that only has sharp notes since the seventh note is one half step lower then the root? If i play a sharp note and then play the note one half step lower i should always land on a natural note?

I hope you understand you all understand what my problem is.

Thanks!
C♯, D♯, E♯, F♯, G♯, A♯, and B♯

the C# major scale. if C major has no flats or sharps, then it's only logical that C# has every sharp, right ? so you just take every note from the C major scale and make it half a step higher.

what probably confuses you is enharmony, which means there are different names for the same notes. B# is the same as C, C#is the same as Dd, etc.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by pank
Recently i've been trying to learn more music theory so i started reading The Crusade Columns by Josh Urban but i'm now stuck at lesson 8.

link: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/the_crusade_part_8_key_signatures_and_the_circle_of_fifths.html

I think i understand how the circle of fifths work but there is one thing that confuses me.
If you look at the circle it says that the key of C# major has 7 sharp notes and since the scale has a total of 7 notes i'm guessing that every note in the scale should be sharp?
But if i'm not wrong the third note of the C# major scale is an F and the seventh note is a C?
So in other words: How can there even be a major scale that only has sharp notes since the seventh note is one half step lower then the root? If i play a sharp note and then play the note one half step lower i should always land on a natural note?

I hope you understand you all understand what my problem is.

Thanks!

I do indeed understand your confusion When it says 'all 7 are sharp' it is because when talking scales, to prevent there being (C and C#, for example) two notes of the same letter in a scale we simply stick to one letter per note and then sharpen or flatten it as desired.

Hence, in the C# major scale, F is listed as E# (enharmonically, but they're the same physical note) and C is listed as B#
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Yes but what you don't understand is that a sharp has nothing to do with 'natural notes', it merely means raise a half step. If you look closer at the C# scale you will notice that the two 'natural notes' F and C actually are E and B with a sharp. Which means play a half step above the E and B, which is the F and C. So even though there are sharps they just tell you to raise it. It is a way to make the circle of fifths function.

You go by the sharps, not their enharmonic equivalent. I'm not exactly sure what your question is.

But remember the pattern for finding out all major scales.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8       
 w w h w w w h
Quote by DisarmGoliath
I do indeed understand your confusion When it says 'all 7 are sharp' it is because when talking scales, to prevent there being (C and C#, for example) two notes of the same letter in a scale we simply stick to one letter per note and then sharpen or flatten it as desired.

Hence, in the C# major scale, F is listed as E# (enharmonically, but they're the same physical note) and C is listed as B#

Quote by Lord Jesus
Yes but what you don't understand is that a sharp has nothing to do with 'natural notes', it merely means raise a half step. If you look closer at the C# scale you will notice that the two 'natural notes' F and C actually are E and B with a sharp. Which means play a half step above the E and B, which is the F and C. So even though there are sharps they just tell you to raise it. It is a way to make the circle of fifths function.

Oooh, now i get it I feel so stupid now
and thanks for the quick replys!
Quote by pank
Oooh, now i get it I feel so stupid now
and thanks for the quick replys!

No problem, at least you understood the answer and were thankful - the guy in my sig was less grateful and has now been immortalised for his ignorance
Hey, look. Sigs are back.