I am looking for a specific type of amp.

I want/need an amp that can do Jefferson Airplane meets David Bowie type of sound without too much tweaking, and the sound needs to be very even across the bass and treble strings. So that one side doesnt over-power the other.

Must be a combo.
My budget is $500-$1000

What amps would you suggest trying out?
Last edited by neptune1988 at Mar 9, 2009,
Ceriatone Plexi

Laney AOR

Ceriatone 18w
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I thought of an AC15, too.
AC30 if you need more power, but I think those are slightly above 1000$, aren't they?

By the way, how 'even' the sound is can be adjusted by raising you guitar's pickups on one side or lowering them on the other.
what about trying these?

Bogner
Fender Deluxe or Princeton Reverb
Line 6 Spider Valve
Marshall JVM combo
Mesa Express 5:25
Peavey Windsor
I doubt the Alchemist is what you're looking for. I could see a Fender Twin Reverb, maybe, but not a Deluxe. The Spider Valves are OK, but overpriced and not very pure in tone. The JVMs are sterile and lifeless (IMO). They lost all their warmth for the sake of versatility. The Express 5:25 is also overpriced. The cleans are OK, but for what you'll pay, there's better. A Windsor is just not a good idea. The cleans are meh, and the OD is more vintage voiced. I'd say an AC15 with Alnico Blues, or an AC50CCX, or a Fender Twin Reverb.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Why not the Deluxe Reverb? (Twin Reverb is too much Watts.)

I've tried Vox, but the cleans are too sterile. The lifeness is there, but no tone.

Blackhearts are the other way around. Tone is there, but needs more life and oomph.
What about Orange Tiny Terror Combo?

I tried the 30W combo version of the Rockerverb or whatever they call it. Itwas too bassy.

Would all Orange be that bassy?

I dont like the Peavey Classic 30, it sounds the same as the vox. I dont like it.

What about Peavey 6505?
Oranges are very mushy and have a loose low end. I think the rocker 30 sounded a lot better than the tiny terror, though they both have the same feel.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
JA (Jefferson Airplane) used mostly Fenders. David Bowie used Marshalls, and Dr.Z or other boutique brands.

I'm wanting something that is kind of a blend of the two.
Jazz chorus is too bassy.

What about a Line6 Flextone? Or Vetta?

Also, on a sidenote...Mark Pinder from Conan O'Brians band plays trumpet, but sometimes doubles on acoustic guitar. He plays a line 6. But since its only sparingly, its alright.
those amps are NOT too bassy. their EQs will fix any such problem. look at Ceriatones and Allens.

Don't judge me.
I think you're crazy, but preference is preference.

Don't judge me.
I think a nice modeler would be up your alley.
From all your threads, it seems like whenever you try normal analog amps, you seem to have some big problem with each. so, I think a flextone or even a vetta would serve you well.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
if you are considering the TT, you might as well check out the egnater, I believe they make a combo
I have made a few haven't I? <-----Insanely huge understatement

What about a SS pre-amp, tube power amp?

What would be good pro-quality modeling amps?
Ones that if and when I gig with them, people think "oh, nice amp."

Also they have to have tube lifeness to them.
Quote by neptune1988
I have made a few haven't I? <-----Insanely huge understatement

What about a SS pre-amp, tube power amp?

What would be good pro-quality modeling amps? Ones that if and when I gig with them, people think "oh, nice amp."

Yup, you have

The L6 Vetta is a pro quality modeler. H&K also has a high end modeling amp, but I haven't tried it.
If you wanted a tube power amp, you could go with the high end Peavey Vypyrs, but I think you should stick with a Vetta if you're going the modeling route.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I'm gonna try the list I made earlier in the thread, then the modellers.

I'm also going to ask the guys at my local shop. They all have good deal of experience. Also whenever I ask them, they always point me exactly where I need.

But I'll still give y'all suggestions a try.

Thanks for being patient.

I'm out!
If you want even string response, make sure to take out of your budget enough for a nice compressor regardless of the amp. Of, course, Id take a better amp without a compressor over a worse amp with one, but its something to consider.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG