I'm in the market for a small plant/tree or something.
I want it kind of as a memorial/friend, something living that I can tend to. So I want something that' going to outlive me and is small enough so that where ever I go in my life I can take it with me.

I was thinking bonsai tree? The only things I know about them is from the Karate Kid, and I have the impression they are kind of expensive......

I couldn't find an ultimate gardening thread so here it goes.

EDIT: maybe some sort of cactus? but I don't know if they live very long... I know joshua trees (not something I want, just an example) live for ages but that is the only desert agriculture I'm aware of that lives for a long time...
███████████████████████████████████
Last edited by tona_107 at Mar 9, 2009,
Are you going to be like Leon and take your plant everywhere no matter how dangerous it could get?
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by eazy-c
Are you going to be like Leon and take your plant everywhere no matter how dangerous it could get?

I meant if I move.. or move into somewhere where I don't have much room.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
get yourself a slow growing tree, and when it's finally too big to take around, plant it somewhere permanantly. Maybe a bubinga tree. They eventually grow f*cking huge.

That sounds nice man, I'm gonna have to check it out as well.

That was a good idea, but, I don`t think I would be able to plant it permanently though... I live in Canada and it looks like a tropical tree...
oak trees have always been a good symbol of longevity, but they take an incredibly long time to take care of and I'm not too sure how to maintain them.

a personal favourite perennial of mine is the bleeding heart. it's a small bush with fern-like leaves and a hanging flower that resembles, surprisingly, a bleeding heart. you can start it off in a pot and keep it outside in the summer. come fall when it dies off, you clip it down to the soil, or about and inch above. when winter comes, you plant the pot (the entire thing, pot and all) in the ground to keep the roots from dying of frost and it will regrow. you repeat this cycle seasonally until it too big for a pot and you put it in the ground.

EDIT:
Quote by SleightOfHand
****in right budday! grunge is the shiite!

didnt read ur post tho so dont know what im agreeing to.

Quote by horloko
Good. More centaur pussy for me.

Quote by myearshurt

God bless you GrungeBeatle

Last edited by GrungeBeatle at Mar 9, 2009,
you can turn just about any tree with bark into a bonsai tree, ive seen people with bonsai pine trees, its a really really labour intensive process but the rewards are awesome, i mean how cool would it be to have a 15 inch pine tree

go talk to your garden centre or what ever you have in canada im sure they could shed some light on this for you, or google it hehe
Quote by Zombee
Hold on, let me be a dick for 5 seconds: HERE

I`m not asking for someone to google bonsai tree for me. I`m asking for people with experience with plants and might be able to think of other ideas that I wouldn`t otherwise be aware of. Try reading next time goof.
maybe you could go to your local council or who ever, and ask them if you could plant a tree in a public place as a living memory of your friend/loved one ?

then get a plaque with their name, their DOB and DOD and have a little one liner underneath, they did that at my old school for a teacher
Quote by GrungeBeatle
oak trees have always been a good symbol of longevity, but they take an incredibly long time to take care of and I'm not too sure how to maintain them.

a personal favourite perennial of mine is the bleeding heart. it's a small bush with fern-like leaves and a hanging flower that resembles, surprisingly, a bleeding heart. you can start it off in a pot and keep it outside in the summer. come fall when it dies off, you clip it down to the soil, or about and inch above. when winter comes, you plant the pot (the entire thing, pot and all) in the ground to keep the roots from dying of frost and it will regrow. you repeat this cycle seasonally until it too big for a pot and you put it in the ground.

EDIT: (Invalid img)

That sounds pretty neat. I don`t think I`d be able to keep it outside with the like 10 feet of snow I got this year but I have a nice south facing window that could work out nicely... Not much web info so any idea how long those can live for?

EDIT: http://www.gardening-guy.com/stories/storyReader$261

That was a good idea man, but, It says they live for tops 20 years, and while that's a long time, it doesn't really serve the purpose I'm looking for. Thanks a lot.

Quote by _\/ Staind \/_
maybe you could go to your local council or who ever, and ask them if you could plant a tree in a public place as a living memory of your friend/loved one ?

then get a plaque with their name, their DOB and DOD and have a little one liner underneath, they did that at my old school for a teacher

Thanks for the input bud...I think that would be kind of depressing to visit...I want this to be part of my everyday life you know...that's why I want something that I'll have to tend to and take care of... I'll have a place in a mausoleum or cemetery or something eventually that I can go visit....
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']

the devil's herb.
keep away i say.