That if you send say for example a CD of your own songs through the post to your own address and when you receieve you do not open it that this is legit , and can be seen as copyrighted music?
Yes. I send weed to myself all the time. Therefore, legit.
At the end of the day...
Prepare to kill
everyone.
...what?
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
Quote by professorlamp
That if you send say for example a CD of your own songs through the post to your own address and when you receieve you do not open it that this is legit , and can be seen as copyrighted music?

In europe the minute your create any 'original' work, it automatically becomes protected by copyright.
Technically yes.

It has a date stamp on it from an outsider, so if you don't open the package and it's still sealed, it's proof that on that date it is the copy.

So if someone a year later steals it, you can show the timestamp, and he needs to show proof of a date that his copy existed earlier.

It's just that a good lawyer can get around this by claiming you possibly have family or direct friends who work at the postal service, or if you gave money (bribe) to the postal company to mess with the dates from their logs.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 9, 2009,
So you're telling me that if I send my external hard drive through the post that has all my pirated music on it addressed to myself, I can't get in trouble?!
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
yeah that way if someone copys your material you have evidence that you wrote it first.
Sig space available, give me some praise
Yep, just don't open it. My bro did this with his rap album, though I don't think anyone will be stealing them.
Quote by YakunaAi
Yes. I send weed to myself all the time. Therefore, legit.

You must love your mailman. He is a drug dealer and doesn't even know it.

R.I.P. Mitch.
There was a topic about this a while back and I said that yes it is a cheap way of copyrighting something! It's just common sense! There will be a date on it, and it'll be sealed! But there was this other user that was adamant that it proved nothing and that recording yourself was a better way of doing it. However it's much easier to edit a time stamp on an audio file or a video than it is to get someone at a post office to post an incorrect date on an envelope.
Last edited by grantjames at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by ross1234
yeah that way if someone copys your material you have evidence that you wrote it first.

Ohhhhh.
Okay, yes, that makes sense. I thought you meant that if you sent a CD to yourself, you would somehow become copy written, not just that you have proof you created it.
Quote by Tire Me.

Quote by Bubbles516
Its super effective!
It's like if Leif Erikson sailed to Newfoundland and then went back, but someone went there after and claimed he got there first and then Leif said, "nah ah! Look, I got my passport stamped. The date says I was there three months before you! Pwned!"

Yes, Vikings had passports.
Quote by wtf290
Ohhhhh.
Okay, yes, that makes sense. I thought you meant that if you sent a CD to yourself, you would somehow become copy written, not just that you have proof you created it.

Everything is based on proof.

If you copyright it through 1 of those copyright organisations (the 1 in my country is called bumra stemra or something) then they just write it down a book and store it on different places and in different ways, to use as proof.

It's all about proof, if the word stealing is used then proof is always needed to solve it.

"Official copyright" is just proof, stored by an respectable company/source/organisation, which would stand out as more truthful towards a jury, then for example a postal company, because they are "accepted".

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by brandon369852
So you're telling me that if I send my external hard drive through the post that has all my pirated music on it addressed to myself, I can't get in trouble?!

no because someone already holds copyright over the pirated music on your external hard drive
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
http://www.cleverjoe.com/articles/music_publishing_copyright.html

The poor man's copyright is when you record a song (or songs) on a tape, seal it in an envelope, and mail it to yourself via registered mail. Because it's registered mail it gets an official post office seal on it, complete with the date. The theory is that as long as the seal with the date on it is never broken (i.e., as long as you never open the envelope), then obviously the song inside the envelope was written before the date on the post office seal. I DO NOT recommend this method of establishing proof of copyright ownership. Over the years since people first started doing it, it has been put to the test in court and hasn't held up that well. Bottom line -- there are other, more effective ways of establishing proof of copyright.

I've read that a good method of establishing proof of copyright ownership is to, as soon as you've written a song, play it for people. Friends, acquaintances, business associates -- anyone who would stand up in court and be a witness for you, saying "Yes, I heard Jimmy-Joe play this song on_____ date." Apparently, witnesses are a good thing.
I recently called the Nashville Songwriter's Association International (N. S. A. I.) and asked them some questions on this subject of proof of copyright. I know they would welcome your calls, too. Their telephone number is:
615-256-3354.
The Songwriter's Association of Canada is also a great organization to look into: Songwriters Association of Canada
Anyway,when I spoke with N.S.A I. on the subject, they gave me the rundown on registering songs with the copyright office in Washington, DC, which I believe anyone can do, American or Canadian. Ottawa, Ontario has a similar copyright office for Canadians.
The deal at the Washington office, according to N. S. A. I., is that for a $30 fee you can register either one song (on cassette), or a volume of songs. I'm not sure how many songs you're allowed to have in one volume. (You must call them first and request the appropriate forms to fill out, which you then send in with your money and cassette.) I've heard that you can also, on the form you fill out, put one title at the top, and under it write the lyrics to a bunch of songs, thereby registering copyright on a group of lyrics for the price of one title. (I've never done this myself, however, so if you want to find out for sure, you should call them.

Read the entire article for more details.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Everything is based on proof.

If you copyright it through 1 of those copyright organisations (the 1 in my country is called bumra stemra or something) then they just write it down a book and store it on different places and in different ways, to use as proof.

It's all about proof, if the word stealing is used then proof is always needed to solve it.

Official copyright is just proof, stored by an respectable company/source/organisation, which would stand out as more truthful towards a jury, then for example a postal company, because they are "accepted".

That's what I meant, it's a bit different from going to a company that will validate the work is your own.
Quote by Tire Me.

Quote by Bubbles516
Its super effective!
Quote by wtf290
That's what I meant, it's a bit different from going to a company that will validate the work is your own.

Well yes, but that's the entire thing of lawyers and the justice system.

Whether you actually done the crime or not, isn't the most important thing. The most important thing is how good your proof is.

If you killed a man, but your (false) proof that you didn't do it is good enough, you walk.

Same thing here really if someone ever steals ur stuff and it goes to court.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Technically yes.

It has a date stamp on it from an outsider, so if you don't open the package and it's still sealed, it's proof that on that date it is the copy.

So if someone a year later steals it, you can show the timestamp, and he needs to show proof of a date that his copy existed earlier.

It's just that a good lawyer can get around this by claiming you possibly have family or direct friends who work at the postal service, or if you gave money (bribe) to the postal company to mess with the dates from their logs.

This. Copyright law says that you automatically have a copyright claim to anything you write. The hard part is proving it. Mailing to yourself is a simple, but not foolproof, way of doing that.
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
this won't hold up in court.

it's been discussed on numerous other professional forums,and maybe even this one. (I don't consider this one professional because I doubt even 1% of members make their living from music).

You do own the copyright the moment it's in tangible form, but the official registration is what protects you.
It'd be a douche move, but if you wrote a song, and the next day I registered it, and you didn't bother to do so until six months later, I'd win the court case if I had no ethics and was okay with lying to everyone/coming up with some story about how I wrote it.

(take this from a guy who was in a band with a douche frontman that decided it'd be a good idea to copyright the songs with himself as the sole writer)
We'd make great pets.
Last edited by montyburns at Mar 9, 2009,