hi im new to playing bass, ive been playing guitar for over 5 years, but just decided that i want to learn bass. On guitar i like my action real low but when i set the action on the bass low all i get is fret buzz, the only time i get it to where the strings dont buzz is when i have the action high. Im using D'addario mediums, running from .050, .070, .085, .105, .130. 5 string bass tuned with low B
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
sounds like you need a truss rod adjustment. a pro set-up at the shop is highly recommended. this site can also help. good luck
www.tunemybass.com/bass_setup
damn i was kinda hoping i didnt have to mess with the truss rod. eh oh well, thanks
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
sorta sounds like your neck is bowing backwards..

and truss rod adjustments are pretty easy once you get over the fear of wrecking your instrument
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by capslockisnton
sorta sounds like your neck is bowing backwards..

and truss rod adjustments are pretty easy once you get over the fear of wrecking your instrument

And the chances of wrecking your instrument are very low if you actually follow the instructions correctly.
Sounds like you think the bass is a guitar - low action on a bass relative to the action of a guitar is totally different. A guitar player would consider low bass action to be sky-high.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I could possibly be the truss rod, just check if it has a bow in it.
But i think that you just need to adjust to a new insturnment. Playing bass takes more finger strength then electric guitar so just keep practicing and build up your fingers.
Also, the low-Bs on basses have to be strung really quite high to stop them from buzzing to the same degree as the other strings. Unless Ive blindly been labouring under truss rod problems for my career, both my five strings have the low-Bs set high to stop them buzzing.
Low notes mean bigger amplitude vibration for the same amount of sound energy. Bass actions are just higher.

You might also need to look at your picking style and pick across the string more than you are used too.

Bass players also damp strings more or it all gets very noisy.
Quote by thefitz
Sounds like you think the bass is a guitar - low action on a bass relative to the action of a guitar is totally different. A guitar player would consider low bass action to be sky-high.

lol like i said im new to bass, the only time ive ever played a bass was when i was 11 and it was an upright bass that you play in an orchestra, anyways, i found out that it wasnt the truss rod, there isnt any bow in the neck that. And if what you all say is true about the action on a bass being relatively high compared to a guitars action then i guess there really isnt a problem with the bass and the problem is my way of thinking.

As for picking style, i really havent tried a pick yet, i just use my fingers while the thumb is anchored somewhere on the body or P-up, dunno if thats proper positioning either, but anyways. i measured the height of the strings at the 24th fret and the low B is slighly lower than a quarter of an inch err roughly about 6.35 mm. thats the lowest it goes with out buzz. From what you all say that should be normal? right?