Page 1 of 2
Me and my friend were talking today about how there's so many countries in Europe and all over the world who speak English as a second language. How is this done like are they taught English really early on or do they choose it when they get older or what? I've been taking a Spainish class for 4 years and can't give you too much more than "Como te llamas" lol. I got a friend from Germany who speaks german to his family but when talking to me speaks perfect english. I could never imagine learning another language that well lol.
In Canada taking French is mandatory until grade 9 (I think) At least where I live.

EDIT: Having a second language doesn't mean you need to know both, it just means both are accepted.
Last edited by Erik_Aero at Mar 9, 2009,
Ive been speaking english since I was young, its the best time to learn.
English speakers are lazy and just expect everyone to conform to their way of speaking rather then learn something new.
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Isn't English the hardest language to learn next to Traditional Chinese?
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
ever heard of "commonwealth"?
also there was a poll in america , I dunno arround 1840(?), where peaople voted english as the "world language"
yeah and you get taught English in grade 3 or 4 now thats at the age of 8 - 9
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

Last edited by Toast1337 at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by rhysm
English speakers are lazy and just expect everyone to conform to their way of speaking rather then learn something new.

or we'll blow you up!
that all depends if you call the 'English' that Americans chew up and spit out as really English but seriously some cultures rape the English language
I Won't Let This Build Up Inside Of Me

Quote by FFTLxx

muhat gandy
+Sideways 8

Well thats me set ^^
Quote by rhysm

Speaking as an English guy... This is totally true!
Quote by rhysm

Apparently it's working.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by PhillyHendrix

I wouldn't be surprised lol. It probably isn't that hard to speak it poorly like to at least have someone understand you. You'd still probably speak a lot better than the many hooligans around here in the US lol. "Yo pump me some skin brotha"
Quote by Hasok
callate puto

+1
Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.
Quote by PhillyHendrix

It depends.
People who don't sp[eak English as a first language find it difficult, becuase English is such a bastard language, none of the rules regarding spelling or pronunciation are absolute.
For example, the 'ough' in 'though', 'thought', 'through', and the name 'Bough'.
english is like the easiest language...
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

I live in quebec(french part of canada). My main language is french but we have to learn english at school.
Yeah ive heard that in a few hundred years time if there was to be a global language, it'd be something dubbed 'penglish'... a sort of twisted english largely due to the difficulties asians have with pronouncing some english words or something. (QI said so!)
Quote by Toast1337
ever heard of "commonwealth"?
also there was a poll in america , I dunno arround 1840(?), where peaople voted english as the "world language"
yeah and you get taught English in grade 3 or 4 now thats at the age of 8 - 9

In that vote, German almost won.

We could all be speaking German right now
Oh, and I took French for about 5 years and didn't learn a thing, I think the school systems are just better in most European countries.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by Jackal58
Apparently it's working.

Go to France. Outside of Paris and other tourist regions they'll allow you to starve before they'll speak English to you.

TS, I wouldn't say English is a world language. My Italian housemate has perfect English, but his girlfriend and many other exchange students have terrible English and some of his friends who came over to visit have practically none.
Those who want to learn it do learn it. They tend to study it from a young age, which helps. I learned Gaeilge (Irish) from 4/5 and I'm pretty much fluent in it. The earlier you start the easier it is but you have to want to learn it at the same time.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
TBH, people in the UK have problems with foreign languages mainly because English is taught very, very badly here. Grammar is relegated to "if it sounds right, it probably is", and I was once given homework that claimed to be about metaphors, when the questions all referred to similies.
I'm Spanish and i've been studying English for 6 years. However, in Spain people usually takes up English when they start going to school. the thing is I went to a French school so while others were learning English I was learning French :p
its just the generation now that learned it at a very young age thanks to new technology
and I love it

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Quote by Ur all $h1t
Go to France. Outside of Paris and other tourist regions they'll allow you to starve before they'll speak English to you.

TS, I wouldn't say English is a world language. My Italian housemate has perfect English, but his girlfriend and many other exchange students have terrible English and some of his friends who came over to visit have practically none.
Those who want to learn it do learn it. They tend to study it from a young age, which helps. I learned Gaeilge (Irish) from 4/5 and I'm pretty much fluent in it. The earlier you start the easier it is but you have to want to learn it at the same time.

I have been to France. I didn't much feel like talking to them either.
English is the international language of aviation. Every air traffic controller in the world speaks it as do pilots.
Sometimes not very well with disastrous results.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
It's probably the closet to one, but it's certainly not really one. Lots of people in Europe are just taught it though .

Learning languages is difficult, i'm doing it on my own now, i wish i had been taught a language properly when i was at school but my schools were too cheap/****
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
If I ever had to speak French to save my life, I'd be f*cked. I take Spanish and am mildly fluent in that (I can understand slightly better than I speak) and am learning German on my own, albeit very slowly but surely. The only thing is that the book I'm using teaches German that will get your ass kicked. I said something about the trees being covered in snow, and this German student told me I had said "The trees are decked with snow." I'd still like to learn French, it just seems difficult.

I don't really know how so many people in Europe are very fluent, even eloquent in their English speaking. All I know is that Scandinavians can speak about 4different languages and are high all the time. We can't learn one.
Last edited by thewho65 at Mar 9, 2009,
English must be pretty hard, most English people don't even speak proper English.
Well at least in Leicester.
I studied English since I began school. Also, had private lessons. Also, over the years I watched a LOT of movies, cartoons, read documentation and books in English, spoke to a lot of foreigners, and over time it grew on me to the point where sometimes I'll find my words in English faster than in my native language.
I've had English in school since 3rd grade (I think). But I speak near-perfect English because of all the English media that has been thrown at me by my beloved television

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Quote by drunkinkoala
And then after people learn English then there's all the slang we have.

You say that like other languages don't have slang.
I was talking to my parents about this once, but English really is the funniest language. There are some things that you simply can't express in a different language, jokes get lost in translation. Just the whole makeup of it, the slang, the sarcasm, the tone. No offense to any other languages, I have heard some Dutch comedians that were pretty good.
Quote by thewho65
I was talking to my parents about this once, but English really is the funniest language. There are some things that you simply can't express in a different language, jokes get lost in translation. Just the whole makeup of it, the slang, the sarcasm, the tone. No offense to any other languages, I have heard some Dutch comedians that were pretty good.

There will be things in other languages that don't translate as well :S
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by PhillyHendrix

Wouldn't surprise me at all, after all look at how huge the vocabulary is and how many different way it is spoken.

Hell, look at the United States alone, there are at least a few dozen different English dialects spoken here.

Chinese might be the "language of the world" due to the sheer numbers of people who speak it (well, there are 1 billion Chinese, you see...), but if I had to guess I'd say English is probably the language most commonly spoken in "official" situations, such as international trade, etc. You can probably thank the British Empire for that.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by razorback_al_31
And whats wrong with that?

its rather arrogant don't you think?
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Quote by razorback_al_31
And whats wrong with that?

It limits your horizons and understanding of other cultures and the world around you.
The language of a people can give great insight into their history and culture. For instance the word for Abortion in Irish is "ginmhilleadh" which when literally translated means "Destruction of young innocent beautiful life"
The word for maturbation is "Fein Trulu" which translates as "self pollution"
These show the impact of the Catholic church on Irish culture.

You can't even properly understand the way Irish people speak English without a basic knowledge of Irish.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Page 1 of 2