I heard once, i think in the what to play sticky, that unforgiven and its solo can be played by a beginner. Now I am no master of technique but not a slouch either and would classify myself as transitioning into intermediate.

I am trying to get this solo down and it is coming slowly but am I crazy to think that this solo is far to difficult for a beginner to accomplish in a reasonable time frame. Here is my case... The thirty second note ascending blues run, after the double stops and descending run, is quite difficult at 70bpm. The rapid one and half step+ bends on the A and high e strings takes some strength and ear training as well as good muting technique. And finally a the very end lick with the rapid succession bend and pull-offs is just mean.

So am I crazy for thinking that this solo requires an intermediate or early intermediate to play and should not be recommended to beginners?
lol real life and the internet are very different things.
your not insane justs 100s of people on here go "ive been playing 4 months and i can only play half on malmsteen's album"
when in fact they can barely play anything so its considered beginner on the internet.

well thats my theory anyway
i agree with the agony scene , those people that say , 'yer i can play no boundaries '
its either sloppily played or they just dont prove it , plus dont wory about how fast your progressin
everybody learn differently
seriously people on internet tend to exagerate on skill
I wouldn't say it's easy too
easy solo are solo like the one in smells like teen spirit and pretty much everything from green day or the whits strip
Metallica is a talented band, and even ''easy solo'' like fade to black or one or unfurgiven have some easy part but some others can be tricky ( pull-off for the unforgiven and one, little sweep in the fade to black intro solo )

sorry to say this but ... pratice, boring answer, but just do it very slow perfectly
speed come with time, don't bother with it until 3-4 years of playing, it come naturally with perfect pratice
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
I am glad to hear that I am not crazy!

And I am not too worried about how quickly I am progressing. I tried to play this song after playing the guitar for about five months and quickly became really frustrated. I am just sort of discussing my experience with this song as a intermediate looking back on myself as a beginner (titles of beginner and intermediate are personal designations). I could never have seen me as a beginner accomplishing that song within a decent amount of time.

Edit:

Bender,

I am playing it very slowly using guitar pro and its speed trainer breaking up sections of the solo into pieces. For the most part I have been successful but those three places I mentioned are truly tripping me up. I think I can get it this time though.
Last edited by jordanshadow at Mar 9, 2009,
Chunk it up. It really isnt that hard once your fingers can think, and go slow. Honestly.

It depends on how well you know the solo to begin with, as if you know whats coming up on the album, you know what you need to play next, follow me?

I personally had little problems with that one, minus the runs, and the key there is playing them and playing them, smoothly. Dont rush it. Once you know instinctively where your fingers are going, your in business.

And yes, it will take time. (Why I hate learning solo's... takes me to long.)
Life is like an Empty Box, there could be something exciting in it at first look, but upon further review, well, it's empty.

The runs are the hardest part for sure. The first minor pentatonic run I am up to about 80% speed smoothly but that took a couple days practice and I know its going to take a few more to get to 100%. Being relatively inexperienced I don't really know how long it should take to completely master a song but my guess is that it can take quite awhile.
Quote by jordanshadow
I heard once, i think in the what to play sticky, that unforgiven and its solo can be played by a beginner. Now I am no master of technique but not a slouch either and would classify myself as transitioning into intermediate.

I am trying to get this solo down and it is coming slowly but am I crazy to think that this solo is far to difficult for a beginner to accomplish in a reasonable time frame. Here is my case... The thirty second note ascending blues run, after the double stops and descending run, is quite difficult at 70bpm. The rapid one and half step+ bends on the A and high e strings takes some strength and ear training as well as good muting technique. And finally a the very end lick with the rapid succession bend and pull-offs is just mean.

So am I crazy for thinking that this solo requires an intermediate or early intermediate to play and should not be recommended to beginners?

keep at it, spend a lot of time, and become.. INTERMEDIATE!
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.