████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Okay, I don't mean to sound rude, but were you born diabetic, or really lazy/fat and became diabetic?

If it's the first one, Sorry too hear that, and I hope this all works out.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Thank god for that.

Quote by floppypick
Okay, I don't mean to sound rude, but were you born diabetic, or really lazy/fat and became diabetic?

I'm pretty sure you can become diabetic without being fat or lazy.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by floppypick

That's a bit of a dick statement. Diabetes happens to the non lazy and non fat as well, too.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
That's a bit of a dick statement. Diabetes happens to the non lazy and non fat as well, too.

Never heard of it happening to a fit person before.

I've only ever heard of obese/large people getting it because they eat very poorly.
If I am wrong though, sorry.

Oh and This is great news
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

Quote by floppypick

Neither. My dad was diabetic, and when I was about 6, I had a really rough week (sick) and my dad realised the symptoms. I got rushed to the hospital and a day later I was diagnosed. You could say the latter of your statement, but without the lazy/fat part.
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
Quote by floppypick

I've only ever heard of obese/large people getting it because they eat very poorly.

Being overweight is a pretty large risk factor in type-2 diabetes.
Type-1, on the other hand, is not related to your fitness.
Quote by floppypick

Diabetes is a quite complicated process where the body destroys it's own insulin-producing beta-cells. Poor diet and stress are two factors increasing your chances of getting diabetes, but so is ethnicity and gender. So describing people who has diabetes as "lazy and fat" is like describing someone with cancer as "bad at not having cells mutate".
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
About time.

OH MY GOD!!!

Kensai actually said a serious answer!
Quote by skaterkevin87
Neither. My dad was diabetic, and when I was about 6, I had a really rough week (sick) and my dad realised the symptoms. I got rushed to the hospital and a day later I was diagnosed. You could say the latter of your statement, but without the lazy/fat part.

I'm really sorry, didn't know that happened.

Knew what diabetes was, just didn't realize things like that occurred.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

Quote by skaterkevin87
If Canada follows, I might not have diabetes in a couple of years!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090309/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_stem_cells

Discuss!

Probably a few decades, to be honest..

And stem cell research has always been going on in the US; it's just been funded by the private sector up until now. Still, I'm sure this addition of government money will speed up the process.
Quote by floppypick

dude haven't you ever watched scrubs?

Turk
Quote by pwrmax
OH MY GOD!!!

Kensai actually said a serious answer!

I don't know. The past two days, I've seen him be REALLY serious. Probably just being old bastard.

Follow me on Twitter
Quote by floppypick

You are wrong. A family friend contracted Type II diabetes mellitus as a consequence of his Cushing's Syndrome. There's loads of factors, and a good diet may not necessarily prevent contracting diabetes.
Quote by heaven's gate
Yes. I'm all for stem cell research.

Next up, human cloning.

Yay for having no idea about Stem Cell Research =). If that comment was sarcastic, of course.

Really though, it's about time.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
--Stephen Roberts
Last edited by Anarchy_Ant at Mar 9, 2009,
Embryonic stem cells aren't actually important anymore. They've found a cheaper and easier way to produce them.

Without going into extreme detail, they can manipulate any cells (they usually use skin cells) to revert to pluripotent stem cells by using only 4 chemical signals.

In a roundabout way Bush actually helped stem cell research by restricting embryonic research.
Quote by CaptainRon
Oh I see you need someone else to state their opinion so you can agree with it?

Think for yourself for fuck sakes.

Calm down, broseph. I'm your friend here. I honestly had no intention of ever posting in this thread again.
Strats & Seagulls
Quote by floppypick
I'm really sorry, didn't know that happened.

Knew what diabetes was, just didn't realize things like that occurred.

S'fine. I realize some people don't understand the disease as much as others do.

But yeah! This is good! New pancreas cells on their way by FedEx from the U.S .
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
Quote by saint22
Embryonic stem cells aren't actually important anymore. They've found a cheaper and easier way to produce them.

Without going into extreme detail, they can manipulate any cells (they usually use skin cells) to revert to pluripotent stem cells by using only 4 chemical signals.

In a roundabout way Bush actually helped stem cell research by restricting embryonic research.

Not fully validated yet, and it will take years of following the lines to make sure that they are as maleable and healthy as embreonic stem cells.

They've been doing that for years using viruses as part of the de-diferentiation process (I guess you could call it), now there's supposedly a way to do it without viruses. Again though, not validated properly.

No Bush didn't help, they would have developed the exact same thing in the exact same amount of time even if full public funding of embreonic cells would have been taking place.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by saint22

Actually, if I recall correctly, the majority of stem cell research has been done outside the US, by foreign scientists and American scientists driven to other countries by the ban.
personally, i do not support obama's lifting of the ban. however, i'm not against stem cell research. i simply lean to be more pro-life, and do not find that EMBRYONIC stem cells are the way to go. i was under the impression it was proven that other stem cells are just as effective.

EDIT: i don't feel that bush made the right decisions with the ban, and i don't feel that obama made the right decision lifting the entire ban.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quote by Anarchy_Ant
Yay for having no idea about Stem Cell Research =). If that comment was sarcastic, of course.

Really though, it's about time.

Yay for you being an idiot!

I wasn't relating human cloning to stem cells. I was just talking about human cloning in general.
Yay.
*crosses fingers for a cure to heart disease and Alzheimer’s*
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Rogue Hermit
personally, i do not support obama's lifting of the ban. however, i'm not against stem cell research. i simply lean to be more pro-life, and do not find that EMBRYONIC stem cells are the way to go. i was under the impression it was proven that other stem cells are just as effective.

Not yet. Some time in the future they will be, though.
Quote by heaven's gate
Yay for you being an idiot!

I wasn't relating human cloning to stem cells. I was just talking about human cloning in general.

What were you trying to say about human cloning?
Follow me on Twitter
of course Canada will follow. America owns us, we are its little bitch. where have you been man? lol oh and thats good about you being cured in a few years
Quote by floppypick

I really hate it when people don't know anything about diabetes. Type two diabetes (lazy/fat/alcohol-related/drug-related/other medical condition related) is usually only found in older people. People aged up to about 25/30 will almost certainly have type one, rather than type two. Although people are getting type two younger, because they're so unhealthy, it's still relatively unusual for young people to have it, unless there's another medical problem causing it.

I hate that the distinction isn't made on television, too. I don't like being cast as "fat and lazy" just because I have diabetes. I've had it since I was 2 years old, I have type one, not type two, it's because my parents had faulty genes.

I know there's some promising stuff being done with stem cells, I really hope they figure something out before I'm too old for them to bother curing
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Yay.

+1

I know I'm either going to die from cancer, or Alzheimer's, because both my grandparents and great-grandparents on my mothers side have.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

Quote by bass-boy-garith
of course Canada will follow. America owns us, we are its little bitch. where have you been man? lol oh and thats good about you being cured in a few years

Well, we're glad you finally come to that understanding.

Now then. *unzips pants*
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by brandon369852
What were you trying to say about human cloning?

That research on human cloning is due to commence.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Yay.

*crosses fingers too*
ಠ_ಠ
Page 1 of 2