Page 1 of 2
Well Im looking for a new head iv now narrowed it down to the 6505 and 6505+ head, I have a few questions I play bands such as ABR, TDWP, My own stuff that I wrote mostly metalcore stuff, Some Disturbed. I know that the 6505+ has better cleans and less Ditortion is the distortion a big factor or can u hardly notice the difference? and do they sound good a low volumes I would be giging and practising every weekend along with practising in my bedroom so basically do they sound decent at low volumes for bedroom practise?

Thanks
I know that a 6505 with the gain on 3 is insane. So even if the 6505+ has less gain its probably still a monster
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
Yea I have a ts9 Im just stuck on which one to get I emailed some stores around my area (on peaveys website they said that they have products there) to see if they have 6505 and 6505+ so I will try them out, I see alot of people with 6505 any reason for that?
The difference in gain is negligible. What you lose is the signature 5150 tone. The + is a little less aggressive, but the cleans are noticeably better.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
It doesn't open up until about 2 one the amp. Play one some place. If 2 is too loud for you, then you'll know.

I'm not exactly sure what qualifies as bedroom volume, but I only play mine in my bedroom.
Mind you, I have the 60W combo, which is a tad quieter.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Both play fine at low volumes, but they do sound better once you get them past 2.
I'd say the + is worth it:

*The gain difference is negligible - you won't be able to tell the difference unless you're playing one straight after the other and listening very very closely.

*The cleans are nicer (small difference again, but more noticable than the differences in gain)

*It has an extra EQ which makes the amp far more usable when switching channels.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
Both play fine at low volumes, but they do sound better once you get them past 2.
I'd say the + is worth it:

*The gain difference is negligible - you won't be able to tell the difference unless you're playing one straight after the other and listening very very closely.

*The cleans are nicer (small difference again, but more noticable than the differences in gain)

*It has an extra EQ which makes the amp far more usable when switching channels.

+1

Gain wise where talking 6505 gain on 6 compared to 6505+ gain on 7. Either one has more then enough gain on tap so its not like its an issue.

The biggest kicker is the extra eq which is really nice to have.

Also a few other nice tweaks is, bias ports and adjustable bias. (Its a pretty small sweep but atleast it has the option.)

And it does sound quite a bit better at 2-3 but it still sounds great at .75-1 if you are in a low noise environment. Its an amp you really need to go demo at varying volume ranges to see if you like it or not. Some hate it at low volumes some love it.
Just go used, it's a better deal.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Yea I might go used im still waiting to get some prices from other music stores if there not good then I will go used
Used will be a much better deal. You can get them for substantially less (in my case more than half off) if you buy used.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Some guy on craigslist who lives like 20mins away from me has a used 5150 for $600 re-tubed, it says 400watts for some reason I dont understand that
The Peavey cab with stock speakers isn't that great.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by jacksonuser123
Some guy on craigslist who lives like 20mins away from me has a used 5150 for $600 re-tubed, it says 400watts for some reason I dont understand that

That's the power consumption, not the amount it sends out He's just got a lil' confused haha
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

You will not notice the difference in distortion. The only people who do are really anal people who really need to get a life.

Now when it comes to the green channel you will notice it. The green channel on the 6505 has a lot more distortion than the 6505+. The cleans on the 6505+ are supposed to be better but honestly I don't notice it. The amps sound so much alike I mean it's very hard to tell a difference. There are little little things you can hear but your audience will not notice it and you will barely notice it.

Get the 6505 while you can they are about to quit making them. They are only going to have the 6505+ in production. The + version has more features and is only about 100 dollars more so they sell way more of them. They can hardly sell the regular 6505 so they said it's not worth paying for producing them. If you notice a lot of stores don't have the regular one in stock anymore.

It's basically the same amp and the + has an eq for both channels, less gain on the green channel, and a small bit of less gain on the lead channel.

The only way you might really need the 6505 is if you plan on boosting the green channel with that ts9 and making that your lead channel but I prefer the red channel honestly. It just has more character to it and sounds meaner. The green channel only uses one pre amp tube. The red channel uses 3. The other pre amp tubes are for other things.

EDIT: Some people will get on here and swear their regular 5150 or 6505 sounds better than the 6505+ or 51502. I own a 5150, 6505, and 6505+. They are really close. The 6505 doesn't sound "so much" more brutal than the + version.
Last edited by hcsn2008 at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by jacksonuser123
Im liking the price on the 5150 ($600) I think I might grab this

You can find new 6505's never been out of the box on ebay stores for only 899. I paid 1200 for my 6505+ new. My 6505 I paid 899 new. my 5150 I paid 500 used.
Quote by hcsn2008
You can find new 6505's never been out of the box on ebay stores for only 899. I paid 1200 for my 6505+ new. My 6505 I paid 899 new. my 5150 I paid 500 used.

why in gods name would you buy all three of those?

am i missing something here?
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My Band
www.myspace.com/gdbr
Quote by hcsn2008

American? It sucks being Canadian but 500 USD is 640ish CAD?

One question will this get me my br00tal tone im looking for?
Quote by dylandtl
why in gods name would you buy all three of those?

am i missing something here?

Uh? Well I used to be in a touring band. My 5150 was getting kindof old and had went through hell and back so I bought a 6505+. My 6505 was backup to the 6505 on the road. Doesn't seem like a lot to me. I've known bands with over 15 5150's.
Quote by jacksonuser123
American? It sucks being Canadian but 500 USD is 640ish CAD?

One question will this get me my br00tal tone im looking for?

It's the most brutal amp I've ever heard that's why I own it. I like the peavey 3120 a lot too though. But I mean when it comes down to raw metal and playing in a band the 6505 is win. If I was to choose between just playing one bymyself I'd probably pick the 3120.
Quote by Soul Eater
The difference in gain is negligible. What you lose is the signature 5150 tone. The + is a little less aggressive, but the cleans are noticeably better.
+1
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by hcsn2008
Uh? Well I used to be in a touring band. My 5150 was getting kindof old and had went through hell and back so I bought a 6505+. My 6505 was backup to the 6505 on the road. Doesn't seem like a lot to me. I've known bands with over 15 5150's.

i see.

makes sense if you were in a touring band. sorry. ha
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My Band
www.myspace.com/gdbr
Quote by jacksonuser123
Does it matter how old the amp is, I dont know how old it is but it has new tubes in it

All the amps have the same circuits example 5150 vs 6505 and 5150II vs 6505+ (there are a few myths floating around but nothing solid, ie sig model sounds the best and yadda yadda yadda)

The main difference and issue with older amps is if the amp has stock tubes, better tubes or so on. Which can make a world of difference in tone.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
All the amps have the same circuits example 5150 vs 6505 and 5150II vs 6505+ (there are a few myths floating around but nothing solid, ie sig model sounds the best and yadda yadda yadda)

The main difference and issue with older amps is if the amp has stock tubes, better tubes or so on. Which can make a world of difference in tone.

So basically if they have new tubes than its fine?
Yes, it should be great.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
im gonna pop in here and ask.... would it sound good to stereo a XXX and a 6505
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Depends what kind of sound you're looking for. The XXX sounds brighter and smoother than the darker, fizzier 6505. If you want a tone in between those, it' will sound good.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
i am thinkin it would sound quite nice. what do you think?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by jacksonuser123
So basically if they have new tubes than its fine?

Yup......

Quote by Holy-Diver
im gonna pop in here and ask.... would it sound good to stereo a XXX and a 6505

If my Ultra Plus sounded great with it in stereo with my old Valveking... I could only imagine how good a triple and 6505 would sound....
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 10, 2009,
I have a 6505+ and the is plenty of gain so you don't have to worry about that. As far as bedroom volumes go, I don't think you can get it over 2 in your room with out your ears bleeding. So it won't sound as good but you can still play it in your room and it will sound fine. Most of the time at band practice I only have the volume at 2-3, its a really loud amp.

Also, I heard a little bit about using a ts9 for metal tones. Can anyone tell me more? Does it really affect the tone enough that I should go buy one? lol
Quote by Abileneguitar
Also, I heard a little bit about using a ts9 for metal tones. Can anyone tell me more? Does it really affect the tone enough that I should go buy one? lol

I would recommend a Maxon OD-808 more than the ts9. If you set it to boost your signal, you get a really nice, define low end.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Page 1 of 2