What is the Best Distortion Pedal to play METAL and i'm talking Thrash and Death .. not noisy black, or mellow doom, or crappy nu, or any of that... that a pure brutal n crushing heavy distortion that works well with active pickups such as my EMG 81's ...

i was recommended the "Metal Muff" but i heard that it doesnt work well with EMGs or active pickups in general... is that a myth ? .. is the "Metal Muff" good or what ?
Quote by Ghold125
first things first, what amp are you using?

a behringer 30 watt solid-state amp *embaressed*

well, i'm saving up for a new amp too.. maybe a 30 watt tube one.
Then you have far more pressing concerns than pickups and distortion pedals - worry about sorting the amp situation first.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Then you have far more pressing concerns than pickups and distortion pedals - worry about sorting the amp situation first.

since i'm getting an amp too.. would u recommend a certain amplifier that would sound good with my guitar and with the mentioned genres?

i'm thinking either "Roland Cube 60" (one of the best solid state amps out there) or "Randall RG100G3PLUS 100-Watt Guitar Combo Amplifier" (a fine valve/tube amp but a bit more expensive)
Quote by Ezz_zombie
since i'm getting an amp too.. would u recommend a certain amplifier that would sound good with my guitar and with the mentioned genres?

i'm thinking either "Roland Cube 60" (one of the best solid state amps out there) or "Randall RG100G3PLUS 100-Watt Guitar Combo Amplifier" (a fine valve/tube amp but a bit more expensive)

Peavey Valveking
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
get a good amp and you wont need a pedal
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
If your gonna be using EMGs all the time then your gonna want to find a tube amp. Switching SS amps isnt going to improve anything.
Find a Tube amp first.

I'll recommend the Bogner uberschall if you can afford it or a Used 5150.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by Ezz_zombie

the cube 60 is a good cheap modeling amp, not the best SS amp

the randall RG's are not tube amps

look on ebay for a used 5150/6505, XXX, or ultra (all made by peavey) combo.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson

my bandmate has the Randal RG and it is a tube amp.. (however it has only two tubes ..wtf?)
and the cube 60 does sound good... the best SS as far as i've heard.

anyways, would switching from a crappy SS amp to a better SS amp make THAT much of a difference ? ... coz i cant really afford a good tube amp.. and i dont want a ****ty tube amp., so a SS modeling one would do fine i guess...

so, back to the main question... assuming i get a good SS amp and i'm on the clean channel (not using any amp mod) ... what distortion pedal would sound good? ...
i've been recommended electro-harmonix "metal muff"... and digitech distortion factory DF-7

PS: i dont mind sounding a "bit" digital; dying fetus does and we're kinda playing stuff in that style (and i also sometimes play thrash metal for the f+ck of it)
+ESP ltd AX-400FM
+Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Wah
+Roland Cube 80x Combo Amp
+Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky Strings
+Dunlop Tortex 1.00 Picks

For sale:
+Yamaha ERG 121C Electric Guitar
+Behringer X V-AMP Multi-Effects Processor
Last edited by Ezz_zombie at Mar 27, 2009,
Quote by Blacken Seas
Find a Tube amp first.

I'll recommend the Bogner uberschall if you can afford it or a Used 5150.

uhhhh
if he's playing a behringer 30 watt right now there's no way he can afford an uberschall. i'd recommend a used 5150/6505+ combo, or maybe a peavey XXX. the valveking doesn't have enough gain on tap.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
Thank you everybody for your help and precious advice,
i got the Roland Cube 80x amplifier and the Digitech DF-7 Distortion Pedal as that's what my budget would allow.

PS: the cube 80x is a great SS amp. definitely has more features and better sounding than the cube 60, it even features the "looper" option which i always wanted... it's really great sounding (for a SS amp) .. and as for the digitech pedal, it sounds digital and isn't THAT great but it provides a variety of distortion models and that's what i need in this stage, i'm happy with my gear for now, and when i have more cash and willing to upgrade i'll go for what you guys recommended.. thanx again
+ESP ltd AX-400FM

For sale:
you could have bought a valve combo rather than the roland and DF-7. just my opinion.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC

you should have listened to us

modeling + distortion pedal = ****, plus the roland cube has enough gain on its own i believe.

god... should have bought something good like a b-52 at-112 ffs...
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson

The RG is a Hybrid amp, utilizing a SS preamp and a Tube Poweramp, IIRC. they are actually decent amps. i played through one at a buddy's house and i liked it.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by DaddyBarbs

you should have listened to us

modeling + distortion pedal = ****, plus the roland cube has enough gain on its own i believe.

god... should have bought something good like a b-52 at-112 ffs...

That. You spent about $500 on a modeling amp and pedal. You could have gotten a B-52 or 5150 used, which would blow away that Roland amp, and you wouldn't even need a distortion pedal. Either way, you would have had real tube tone.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Why do people even ask if they're only gonna listen to what they want to hear lol.
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
Quote by Mayonaise 812
id say metal muff but then again all those metals sound the same to me.

Youre a tool
Schecter C-1 Classic (BKP Painkillers)
Schecter Tempest Custom EMG 81/85)
Jackson DK2M
Boss: Ge-7, DD-7, RV-5, NS-2, SD-1
MXR: KFK 10 Band EQ, Dynacomp, Stereo Chorus
Voodoo Lab Sparke Drive
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
Actually the RG50TC is a tube amp. 50 watts. It has 4 12AX7EHS pre amp tubes, and 2 EL-34 power tubes.
Quote by leondb
That. You spent about $500 on a modeling amp and pedal. You could have gotten a B-52 or 5150 used, which would blow away that Roland amp, and you wouldn't even need a distortion pedal. Either way, you would have had real tube tone.

i couldnt find anyone selling the peavy 5150 in Egypt (towel-head land ) .. i'd pay thrice its value on the shipping alone... so, i was stuck with that actually...

and to that guy saying that SSamp + pedals = *** ... if you use it on the CLEAN channel and operate the pedal it'll sound good.. however -obviously- if you use an amp model with alot of gain and then apply a distortion pedal, you'd have a pretty crappy sound.

AND ... to that other guy wondering why i was asking for opinions if i'm not gonna listen i say: i -unfortunately- arent lucky as you guys, and i have very VERY limited options, and we dont have a "used instruments" market around here... there are only a few providers and very limited (and overpriced) options... i paid about 600$ for the amp and the pedal ... and that ltd ax-400 guitar was 720$ ... and the zakk wylde wah pedal was for 200$ !!! so, i kinda spent every penny i had saved over the past year getting that gear... anyways, i did benefit from posting this thread.... that 5150 recommendation was a useful piece of information as it helped me choose the amp coz the cube has a 5150 model in it and it sounds pretty decent (OF COURSE not as good at the original) but i've tried it in the store b4 buying it and it sounds alot like the original 5150... and it also has that mesa-boogie model which is pretty good too. all i need now is a good cabinet, a crate maybe (that's what's available here)

PS: the DF-7 sounds like sh*t on the metal settings ! ... it's just good for the variety of distortions modes in it... however, NOT recommended ! ... i should've gone for the metal muff
+ESP ltd AX-400FM

For sale:
Last edited by Ezz_zombie at Apr 12, 2009,
Anyone using active emg's have a problem with it not having a heavy distortion sound? Plugged up to my uncle's marshall half stack and couldn't get a metal sound out of it but yet his carvin sounded nasty with the same amp settings and was louder. My 9v battery is new btw.
Quote by HarleyDC
Anyone using active emg's have a problem with it not having a heavy distortion sound? Plugged up to my uncle's marshall half stack and couldn't get a metal sound out of it but yet his carvin sounded nasty with the same amp settings and was louder. My 9v battery is new btw.

*reported* for necrobumping, but I'll answer and suggest you make a new thread. Marshall vs Carvin doesn't mean anything if you don't tell us what amp it was. Settings don't translate form amp to amp either, some amps will need certain settings to sound their best and other amps might need different settings.

Start a new thread and try to state your question with more detail, like what you amps you used and what you're trying to achieve soundwise.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not