will delete when answered. just ordering some stuff and need to know what kind of knobs i need.
If you want to be safe, get a knob with a set screw so you can tighten it down onto the shaft of the pot and it won't slip off on ya
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
Quote by Kolanski
If you want to be safe, get a knob with a set screw so you can tighten it down onto the shaft of the pot and it won't slip off on ya
bad plan.
knobs with setscrews are made for smooth shafts, not split shafts.

1 - the holes are bigger, so the knob will be pushed to one side when the setscrew is tightened.
the knob will rotate in an eccentric fashion.

2 - if not extremely careful, the split shaft will be bent when tightening the setscrew,
making the problem even worse.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
so just use a regular? and smooth shaft and split shaft, which is better, and what difference does it make?
thank you SYK I obviously didn't know that

edit: and sorry TS hope i didn't make you choose wrong
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
sorry but i have just a couple more questions. gotta get my ordering done.

i only need one push/pull pot for coil tapping right? and a .047 cap

do i need long shaft pots? its a carved top prs

also does the nut need to be the same radius as the fretboard?

last thing if the string spacing of the bridge and the nut dont match does it matter that much?
Last edited by tjfishrocker at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by tjfishrocker
so just use a regular? and smooth shaft and split shaft, which is better, and what difference does it make?
i really like smooth shaft pots and knobs with setscrews, like on a tele. but it's hard enough to find regular smooth shaft pots. i doubt you'll find one with a push-pull. go with push on knobs for the split shafts.

Quote by tjfishrocker
sorry but i have just a couple more questions. gotta get my ordering done.

i only need one push/pull pot for coil tapping right? and a .047 cap
yes, you can split both pickups with one push-pull pot. it has a DPDT switch.

what's the .047 uF cap all about. is this on your tone control?

Quote by tjfishrocker
do i need long shaft pots? its a carved top prs
don't know for certain. depends on how much wood it goes through. probably yes.

Quote by tjfishrocker
also does the nut need to be the same radius as the fretboard?
absolutely.

Quote by tjfishrocker
last thing if the string spacing of the bridge and the nut dont match does it matter that much?
the string spacing at the bridge will almost ALWAYS be considerably wider than the spacing at the nut.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
i really like smooth shaft pots and knobs with setscrews, like on a tele. but it's hard enough to find regular smooth shaft pots. i doubt you'll find one with a push-pull. go with push on knobs for the split shafts.

yes, you can split both pickups with one push-pull pot. it has a DPDT switch.

what's the .047 uF cap all about. is this on your tone control?

don't know for certain. depends on how much wood it goes through. probably yes.

absolutely.

the string spacing at the bridge will almost ALWAYS be considerably wider than the spacing at the nut.

i was given This diagram for the coil split. it has the cap.

2 more questions. lol.

if my bridge is a 2 1/8" spacing, what should my nut be around

also, the pre slotted fretboard im getting has a 12" radius, but i cant find the nut to go with This bridge. i cant tell its radius, so i dont know what nut to get for the radius, spacing size. can you help me find a nut?

also, how do i determine the taper of the fretboard? melvyn hiscocks book didnt have anything for that in it