It would be cheaper, but hard as **** at the same time if you don't know what you're doing.
no, it would most likely not be cheaper (in fact its usually alot more expensive), and it would be hard if you have no clue about electronics.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by anubiz03
It would be cheaper, but hard as **** at the same time if you don't know what you're doing.

Thats what I was worried about.
My dad kept saying stuff about getting the circuit boards and stuff already set up,
but I don't know what there is to that.
Last edited by byob_soad2 at Mar 9, 2009,
that wouldnt really be building it, just assembling it, but it would still be more expensive (usually)
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
that wouldnt really be building it, just assembling it, but it would still be more expensive (usually)

Then I'll probably just try to buy one then.
But I'm gonna look into what I can do to build/assemble an amp
build/mod pedals first to get some experience, and once u know your way around electronics, start with amps. thats the best approach u can take.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Alright.
I just want to buy an amp.
Building one is mostly for my dad.
I'll see what he says about all of it though.
Lets take something simple like a epi valve jr head. Its about 150$ new from MF. If you build a copy a good OT, power trans and chassis are gonna be a little over 100 and you still havent gotten tubes, caps, resisters, wire, sockets, turret board, cabinet etc. The epi made 1 is gonna have the cheapest parts they can get a hold of. 1 you build is gonna have the good and more expensive parts in it. What you get with a self build is the much better parts and exactly what you want.
Quote by Tackleberry
1 you build is gonna have the good and more expensive parts in it. What you get with a self build is the much better parts and exactly what you want.
This. ^

you ALSO have bragging rights. you built it yourself.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.