Page 1 of 4
Right now is it feasible for avoid going to college and start off in the work force? I really don't want to go and would rather start working right away. Anyone have any opinions on this? No, I am not expecting the most spectacular high paying jobs in the world, nor do I expect to live I high quality of life.
Well, there's this great thing a lot of people do called 'not going to college...'

EDIT-Oh, and getting a job. That's sort of important for the plan you're describing.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
lol omg no. not in today's economy. without upper education you're ****ed.
It's Ok, I'm a Doctor
T-T
(In Obviousness)

Quote by Irishstang_87
Good god, you're a Twilight fan. What are you doing in a scientific discussion?

Quote by Thewickerman666
I just watched a turtle rape a shoe, and must admit I slightly enjoyed it.

I feel dirty
just go. if you can get it for free, and if all else fails, marry someone rich.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Yes, go to college. Or at least learn a trade (welding, plumbing, computers. etc). In the US, w/o a HS diploma, you are f**ked on a getting a job-just ask my nephew who has a HS diploma only. If the 4 year deal isn't your thing, get a trade at least - there's plenty of options. Just my advice after a long time in life working.
Quote by Highway60Bob
just go. if you can get it for free, and if all else fails, marry someone rich.

I agree. Marry someone rich.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Quote by thanksgiving
I agree. Marry someone rich.

I have two pay rises coming up.

...wait, what?
Quote by ozzyismetal
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Quote by Say Ocean
In an already ****ed economy, good luck getting a stable job with decent pay and benefits ever without college.

Wal-Mart.

You laugh, but I worked there for a bit...great benefits and you can work your way up to great pay. The store manager at the store I worked at at a freakin' amazing car and made over 100k a year.

You probably won't be able to go far in a corporate sense, but there are plenty of ways to make a very nice living.

Plus, in this day when everyone and there brother is going to college, experience means a lot too. Tons of "blue collar" work is viable to make a decent to great living.

Hard work pays off, believe me
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Of course it's possible to get straight into the work force without going to college, in fact this is what the majority of people in America do. But for most good jobs you will probably need to take some sort of training even if it's not college. Why not give college a try? There has to be a reason that so many people want to go every year, and there must be some program that interests you.
Mr. Butlertron are you A handsome B smart C scrap metal or D all of the above
Scangrade thats easy I'm A and B but not C, so it can't be all of the above, but you can't fill in two ovals Nooo!
Mr. Butlertron the answer is C... you fuckwad
Last edited by greatone_12 at Mar 9, 2009,
Do what you want, your life.

Personally if your in the UK the education system is pish, I'd recommend you go purely for the financial benefit, if your lucky the class might be half decent but don't count on it.
yea i wouldnt recommend college for you,

from your initial post you dont seem to be the brightest lightbulb, so it probly wouldnt work out.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
It's almost a necessity these days to have some sort of post-secondary education. And now many fields of work require that you do your post-graduate as well. I have some friends that have already jumped to the work force, and I admit, it's very tempting, after seeing how much money they're making. But alot of them are just taking over their parents business, which isn't a common case.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Quote by neopowell
I have two pay rises coming up.

...wait, what?

I know we haven't known each other very long... but will you marry me?

Quote by Våd Hamster

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
I dont know how it is in the USA but in the UK it is very common for employers not to check university references especially if the degree is not required in the job that is being applied for. Unfortunately my old boss had less qualifications than me. I also got jobs by lieing on my cv saying i had extra qualifications. I would say go to uni for the experience however.
Last edited by DegaMeth at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by thanksgiving
I know we haven't known each other very long... but will you marry me?

Show me your ring.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Quote by neopowell

Show me your ring.

*Goatse Picture*

Quote by Våd Hamster

IF you can get the job, take it. My cases for it are kind of iffy, but I'll present. The non-iffy one is my uncle who is an electrician who makes over $20 an hour, whether or not he is working. The iffy on this is that the first year they were getting his associates (though this isn't exactly like going to college and they paid him while he was taking classes). The other, more iffy is my brother who works at a law firm. He is going to college, yes, but it is completely unrelated to his job and his degree will not affect his job. He is a manager and makes (an undisclosed amount that he won't tell me; I have a ballpark, but I won't say.) His boss actually tried to convince him to drop out of college because they need him to work more. His boss also tried to get me to stay home instead of going to OSU, but I'm not gonna stay home and skip out on my dream college (had I stayed, I would have been trained in something similar to him. I might or might not have done classes at home.)

So yeah, if you have the job and it has security, by all means go for it!

But what if you're a 15-year-old or something? Try to go to vocational school if you don't want to go to an actual college. A lot of my friends did it and they are on their ways to being in trades.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by Hanzi_G
It's almost a necessity these days to have some sort of post-secondary education. And now many fields of work require that you do your post-graduate as well. I have some friends that have already jumped to the work force, and I admit, it's very tempting, after seeing how much money they're making. But alot of them are just taking over their parents business, which isn't a common case.

That brings up another point though, starting your own business. A completely possible and viable source of income.

Push comes to shove, while the collegiate life might not be for you, I would at least say try a 2 year associates degree in something like business just at some kind of community college.

Get that by pay little to nothing for tuition, take a couple of classes a week, then if you decided in the future you want to further your education, you'll at least have that to work with to get some kind of 4 year in a uni or something.

I think something like this is the best route for two reasons, it's a lot easier on the pocket *even more so if you don't have any kind of help* and it makes it able for you to get out there in the real world and get some work experience under your belt.

I've always found it kind of dumb to go right to a four year out of high school...yeah, sure you get out with a fancy degree, but you're still usually wet behind the ears which will still make it hard to find good work unless you have something set up...
Quote by thanksgiving
*Goatse Picture*

Oh you motherfucker.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Quote by neopowell
Oh you motherfucker.

It's 3 carrots. Trust me. I had them last night

Quote by Våd Hamster

Quote by Toniofalcon
Right now is it feasible for avoid going to college and start off in the work force? I really don't want to go and would rather start working right away. Anyone have any opinions on this? No, I am not expecting the most spectacular high paying jobs in the world, nor do I expect to live I high quality of life.

your actually considering trying to get into the work force while the usa is viciously dragging the world into a depression that could last for decades? be smart, go to collage.
HAAHAH^ the ring is the goatse pic omg hahahah
Quote by texasthrasher
Cover your ears(or they WILL be raped) that is ****ing great

I survived weeding out 09'
Quote by lordofthefood1
IF you can get the job, take it. My cases for it are kind of iffy, but I'll present. The non-iffy one is my uncle who is an electrician who makes over $20 an hour, whether or not he is working. The iffy on this is that the first year they were getting his associates (though this isn't exactly like going to college and they paid him while he was taking classes). The other, more iffy is my brother who works at a law firm. He is going to college, yes, but it is completely unrelated to his job and his degree will not affect his job. He is a manager and makes (an undisclosed amount that he won't tell me; I have a ballpark, but I won't say.) His boss actually tried to convince him to drop out of college because they need him to work more. His boss also tried to get me to stay home instead of going to OSU, but I'm not gonna stay home and skip out on my dream college (had I stayed, I would have been trained in something similar to him. I might or might not have done classes at home.)

So yeah, if you have the job and it has security, by all means go for it!

But what if you're a 15-year-old or something? Try to go to vocational school if you don't want to go to an actual college. A lot of my friends did it and they are on their ways to being in trades.

More good points.

My uncle is a mechanic, makes around $35 an hour...that's really, REALLY, nice...

Trade work is another option, and most places will either offer some kind of training or tell you where is the best place to get it for that field.

Also, OK state? Or like...Ohio or something?

Either way...sorry man, but Boomer Sooner
Quote by bass-boy-garith
your actually considering trying to get into the work force while the usa is viciously dragging the world into a depression that could last for decades? be smart, go to collage.

The thing with this though...if things do get worse *probably will before they get better* wouldn't one want to have some kind of footing in a job?

Spend four years in school, then get out and try for a job that someone who didn't go to school has been working in for four years...

Point is, some people don't want to be doctors and lawyers, some people are happy working trade work that people will ALWAYS need no matter how tough things get. Plumbing backs up, cars break down, lights short fuse...

Some people don't need lawyers or go to doctors, but physical laber is always needed.
I notice that noone has asked the TS exactly what he wants to do.

depending on what job you're after, it's perfectly fine to not go to college.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I notice that noone has asked the TS exactly what he wants to do.

depending on what job you're after, it's perfectly fine to not go to college.

I think he's really just wondering if it's possible. People now a days make it seem like if you don't go to college you're doomed to work the grill at McDonald's the rest of your life.

I'd hope people would be smart enough to know that if you DID want to be a doctor or some other type of cliche' money job, that you'd need to go to school.
Quote by CodySG
That brings up another point though, starting your own business. A completely possible and viable source of income.

Push comes to shove, while the collegiate life might not be for you, I would at least say try a 2 year associates degree in something like business just at some kind of community college.

Get that by pay little to nothing for tuition, take a couple of classes a week, then if you decided in the future you want to further your education, you'll at least have that to work with to get some kind of 4 year in a uni or something.

Very true. Alot of academic advisors at my university tell me that it doesn't hurt to do an associates degree. Or do a general degree, if you're not sure what exactly to do.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Yeah, I think it's smart.

Get's some school under your belt so that you still look good on paper, but keeps it flexable so you can get out there and figure things out.

****, I'm 20 and I still don't know for sure what I want to go, I know I want to make a living involving music, but there's a million and one ways to do that.

I guess it might seem like I'm anti college, totally the opposite, I just think that real world experience is soooo important. Street smarts have got me almost everywhere, so I'm very pro "get out there and do it" kind of thinking.
Quote by CodySG
The thing with this though...if things do get worse *probably will before they get better* wouldn't one want to have some kind of footing in a job?

Spend four years in school, then get out and try for a job that someone who didn't go to school has been working in for four years...

Point is, some people don't want to be doctors and lawyers, some people are happy working trade work that people will ALWAYS need no matter how tough things get. Plumbing backs up, cars break down, lights short fuse...

Some people don't need lawyers or go to doctors, but physical laber is always needed.

hmmmmm, you've given me a lot to think about my friend...
Indeed, there are a ton of ways to have a good life besides the cookie cutter "get good grades, get into a nice school, get one of the cliche' "power pay" position jobs" plus physical and trade work laber usually pays very well since it's basically stuff that people don't want to do or don't know how to do.

Now it IS hard work, but every job is hard in its own way, whether it be physical or mental. The main thing to remember when shooting for some type of physical/trade work is to know that you'll get old one day and might not be able to pull a 13-15 hour construction job, so always keep the golden days in mind and set things up so that you'll be able to retire ok.
Nah you don't need to go. And yes, I would like fries with that. Thanks.
Quote by CodySG
More good points.

My uncle is a mechanic, makes around $35 an hour...that's really, REALLY, nice...

Trade work is another option, and most places will either offer some kind of training or tell you where is the best place to get it for that field.

Also, OK state? Or like...Ohio or something?

Either way...sorry man, but Boomer Sooner

THE Ohio State University to you, pal

But yes, trades. I guess it helps having a trade name though. I happen to come from a long line of master-electricians. Whether or not I'd be fit for the job, I can get it by simply saying that I am an S---.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
THE Ohio State University to you, pal

But yes, trades. I guess it helps having a trade name though. I happen to come from a long line of master-electricians. Whether or not I'd be fit for the job, I can get it by simply saying that I am an S---.

Yeah, lineage helps...still in trade work, good work will bring a lot of word of mouth business.
People always tell me that I should go to a four-year liberal arts college but I really can't see the point.

I could get into any college I want with grants (I live with one guardian who isn't my actual parent who makes less than 20,000 dollars a year) but I don't see why I should go to a university.

I want to work with computers, somehow. Either as a technician or a network administrator or something.

I'll probably go to local Community College, get an associates, and then transfer to a technical college (probably VT).
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Page 1 of 4