After reading and looking around on the net (I gotta mention SomeOneYouKnew's thread on UG, very helpful), I decided I'd buy a EVJ as a practice amp. Of course, I'll mod it...later . I'm not ready yet (will practice building pedals first).

But I have a few questions:
- I'm leaning towards the combo for its portability and size. I just have one worry about this: could I do the same mods I would on a head? Or does the combo somehow restrict me? (because of the size or something...I dunno).

- In the combo, could I change the speaker to a bigger size? If so, how big? I also heard the stock speaker was mediocre. Could you recommend me another one (8" if I can't fit a bigger one. I play classic rock and blues)

The other 2 questions are of lesser importance, but here they are:
- This is just to confirm something I think I know, but ain't sure: could I eventually use the combo as a head by plugging it to a cab? (I thiiink so...)

- Finally, could I still get a decent sound out of the un-modded amp? Because I'd like a usable amp until I mod it. I guess a change of tubes would help?

Thanks!
If the most sought after things are often the most simple, then:

6 shoelaces of varying sizes tied onto a branch
+ 1 Quarter (pick)
----------------------------
= ULTIMATE TONE
Last edited by MCRibz at Mar 9, 2009,
It is still a good sounding amp unmodded.. just a bit muddy. There really doesn't seem to be room in the combo to put a bigger speaker in, but I could be wrong.
The internal board on the head and combo is the same except maybe for the output jacks in back. So the mods are same for combo and head. Its not hard to set it up just like the head in regards to the 4/8/16 ohm jacks for extension cab later. The 8" speaker does restrict your tone options in the combo and not much bigger is going to fit easy.
Quote by MCRibz
But I have a few questions:
- I'm leaning towards the combo for its portability and size. I just have one worry about this: could I do the same mods I would on a head? Or does the combo somehow restrict me? (because of the size or something...I dunno).
no problem whatsoever. the combo is the same chassis as the head, but in a bigger box with a speaker. anything you can do to the head, you can do to the combo, and vice-versa.

Quote by MCRibz
- In the combo, could I change the speaker to a bigger size? If so, how big? I also heard the stock speaker was mediocre. Could you recommend me another one (8" if I can't fit a bigger one. I play classic rock and blues)
I don't think you can shoehorn a 10 in there. it's wide enough, but not tall enough.

and and the Eminence speaker in the Version 3s is quite good. I think it does just fine, for an 8.

Quote by MCRibz
The other 2 questions are of lesser importance, but here they are:
- This is just to confirm something I think I know, but ain't sure: could I eventually use the combo as a head by plugging it to a cab? (I thiiink so...)
absolutely. and that's the beauty of this combo. Use it as a quick, grab-and-go with the built-in speaker, or unplug that speaker and plug in a nice cab.

The combo doesn't take up that much more space than the head, so it's really convenient.

Quote by MCRibz
- Finally, could I still get a decent sound out of the un-modded amp? Because I'd like a usable amp until I mod it. I guess a change of tubes would help?

Thanks!
The tubes they ship the Version 3s with are nice. JJ for the EL84 and EHx for the 12AX7. I'm not a huge fan of ElectroHarmonix tubes, but they aren't bad. Better than the Sovteks on the earlier versions and a helluva lot better than the chinese tubes in some amps.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Great! I'll buy the combo pretty soon.

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I'm looking for a list of the different mods I could do to the VJ. Something that would show me the different mods (ex: marshall mod, fender mod, gain switch, etc). A list type of thingy. Is there such a thing? (there must be, everything's on the net)

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
Quote by MCRibz
Great! I'll buy the combo pretty soon.

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I'm looking for a list of the different mods I could do to the VJ. Something that would show me the different mods (ex: marshall mod, fender mod, gain switch, etc). A list type of thingy. Is there such a thing? (there must be, everything's on the net)

you answered your own question. There is. Le tme find it when i get home, I'll dig it up for you. Google it though, or there may be a post on SYK's thread.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
I just can't seem to find any... Either there aren't any or I'm just retarded. The latter seems more plausible.

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
go to post #3 on my thread. there are links to different pages on the net with mods.

i haven't updated in ages so there may be some new shiz on the net, but there are quite a few useful links in that post.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I've come up with some more questions...

1. How good does a modded VJ sound?
By this I mean how does it compare to its competition? What I had in mind for my VJ was Marshall tone, tube change (JJ's) ,change the transformers, master volume ,gain switch, standby switch, tone control. Quality-wise, what amp would you compare it to?

2. Is there a mod for getting both a fender tone and a marshall tone?
Switchable---> I'f I'm in the mood for a Fender tone, I flip the switch to Fender-tone. Then when I feel like Marshall, I flip the switch. If there is, could you direct me to a link for doing it?

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
bump

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
Why would you bump after one hour? ...........???

1. Tone is subjective... There are sound samples on the net you know? Will the mods improve the amp for the better?

2. Not to be rude but did you spend any time at all searching for VJ mods? There are easily 20 mod threads on UG and tons of info on the net.

In one of my mod threads I had a specific mod, a Fender/Marshall switch.
Ah! Sorry...
I'm sure I had visited your VJ modding thread, I must of overlooked it...
But I'll probably (no, definitely) try your mod out. It really has everything I'm looking for!
When I'll mod it (eventually...), could I pm you If ever I need help? I probably will..

Anyways, thanks for knocking some sense back into me

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE