Page 1 of 2
First things first, if in the wrong place close it please. Okay now that's over with, what songs sound better to you when they are played in a different tuning? For example I play "Fade to Black" by Metallica half a step lower and it's sounds cooler. So guys, which songs do you play in a different tuning than what it's written in?
Everything sounds cooler in Drop-C. It's a fact.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by Karvid

True.
Laid to Rest - Lamb of God sounds waaayyy better in Drop C.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Tool's Sober sounds absolutely awesome in Db/C# as opposed to D. I play the bridge in triplets and the chorus muted and subdivided into sixes, too, which really thickens it up.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Karvid

Clearly you've never listened to St. Anger.
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
Quote by PhillyHendrix
Clearly you've never listened to St. Anger.

I was using an interesting technique known as sarcasm.

And St. Anger is pretty lol-worthy
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Medusa by Bring Me The Horizon sounds way cooler in Drop-C instead of the original Drop-B
I was messing around the other day and played Ministry's 'Just One Fix' in drop D, replacing all the palm-muting with fret-muting. It sounds like a terrible idea on paper but it sounded pretty good with the right amount of ratty distortion and a loose, punkish feel to the playing.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
I like playing Hey Baby by Jimi Hendrix in drop c as well as all along the watch tower, it sound really cool. I like playing some Nirvana's In Bloom and Litium in D versus Db
Quote by wickedlefty
I like playing Hey Baby by Jimi Hendrix in drop c as well as all along the watch tower, it sound really cool. I like playing some Nirvana's In Bloom and Litium in D versus Db

ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Quote by wickedlefty

Lithium is in D to begin with, and In Bloom is standard. Obviously, neither were in Db.
Quote by strat0blaster
Tool's Sober sounds absolutely awesome in Db/C# as opposed to D. I play the bridge in triplets and the chorus muted and subdivided into sixes, too, which really thickens it up.

Wouldn't triplets make it just mess completely with the rhythm and feel of the song?
I play Breaking Benjamin stuff in Drop-C as opposed to Drop-Bb and it sounds pretty decent... but tuning lower than Drop-B is a bit of a pain on standard scale guitars like my LP
I play Firebreather by Thrice in Drop D instead of the weird ass tuning they use. It sounds almost exactly the same, just a little less thick and a bit more melodic.
Quote by Roge23
Okay guys keep it coming

thats what she said.
but anyway. i believe that the songs should be played in there original tunings. just becausethats how they were intended to sound.
Quote by Avedas
Wouldn't triplets make it just mess completely with the rhythm and feel of the song?

Well, technically it's two sets of triplets and a single at the end... So it's seven in all.

It does throw the meter a little, but I like mixing them up. The chorus is more of that feel than the bridge. THe bridge is really just fitting more notes into the space given and adding a single extra note at the end before 'pedalling' again.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Anything that's normally in Drop D sounds better to me down in B. Most things in standard sound better in Eb.
Quote by dash-rendar
I play Breaking Benjamin stuff in Drop-C as opposed to Drop-Bb and it sounds pretty decent... but tuning lower than Drop-B is a bit of a pain on standard scale guitars like my LP

The only band I like that plays THAT low (Bb or A) is Sevendust. They keep it clean enough that you can hear the notes well. I hate when people tune to hell# and have their gain on 10.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
The only band I like that plays THAT low (Bb or A) is Sevendust. They keep it clean enough that you can hear the notes well. I hate when people tune to hell# and have their gain on 10.

I agree with this guy.

on this part: "I hate when people tune to hell# and have their gain on 10"
Last edited by jaket333 at Mar 9, 2009,
Most Standard songs sound better in Eb. I always play Opeth in Eb.

And, Eb sounds better in D. Cannibal Corpse's early stuff in particular.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Most Standard songs sound better in Eb. I always play Opeth in Eb.

And, Eb sounds better in D. Cannibal Corpse's early stuff in particular.

This.
ಠ_ಠ
I'm old school metal all the way, so I think everything sounds better in standard
Quote by BadgeMan
I think this is fitting -

e-3-------------------
b---3--3-5-3--------
g-----------------3-4
d-----------------4-5
a-----------------4-5
E-----------------2-3
Quote by wilson 595
I'm old school metal all the way, so I think everything sounds better in standard

+over9000
I like Babe I'm Gonna Leave You half a step lower.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Alice in Chains - Angry Chair (originally in standard, half-step down)

I made an arrangement of the chorus in DADGAD tuning that sounds wonderful. Slightly less sad because of all the suspended chords, but I really like it.
Everything sounds better in ostrich tuning.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Wow. Just used Audacity to change Fade to Black's pitch down a step and it sounds ****ing awesome. James' voice sounds cool.
.... . / .-- .... --- / -- .- -.- . ... / .- / -... . .- ... - / --- ..- - / --- ..-. / .... .. -- ... . .-.. ..-. / --. . - ... / .-. .. -.. / --- ..-. / - .... . / .--. .- .. -. / --- ..-. / -... . .. -. --. / .- / -- .- -. .-.-.-
Quote by IlikeTheSKA
Everything sounds better in ostrich tuning.

Thanks for the info, Johnny Rzeznik
Quote by Severide
Thanks for the info, Johnny Rzeznik

Thanks for the witty comment, **** sucker.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Everything in standard.

Being heavy in standard makes you a man. Being "heavy" in Drop A makes you a mouse.

Remember that.
Most Metallica songs I think sound better in Eb, especially Disposable Heroes.
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
Quote by jaket333
thats what she said.
but anyway. i believe that the songs should be played in there original tunings. just becausethats how they were intended to sound.

so you absolutely have to play a song the way it was intended to sound? thats almost like saying all cover songs suck if they were made to sound different from the original.
Page 1 of 2