What happens when you put more amps into a cabinet then its rated.

Whats the highest output to cab ratio you would all reccomend while remaining safe?

Im asking this becuase I have 2 200W cabinets that are each recieving 300W and I wanted to make sure its safe...
You are ****ed. Exit your house immediately.

I wish I could help you, but seeing that ive never had extended experience with anything above 45 watts...
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Quote by PluckU
You are ****ed. Exit your house immediately.

i lol'd.

but really...
what heads and cabs are you using just for us to double check the numbers
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I think that should be fine. As long as you don't way over do the reccomended wattage, nut bear in mind it is usally only a reccomended wattage max not a limit going don't exceed.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Wattage isn't what you should be worried about too much. The ohms are what you should be worrying about.

Get the specs of your head and your cabs and make sure the ohms match first before worrying about wattage.

Generally though they say underpowering is more dangerous than overpowering the cabs. Plus more wattage = more head room.
the ohms are fine.

I know all about that stuff. They're covered.

its just the watts...

300W into 2 200W cabs....

????
Quote by NCBass93
the ohms are fine.

its just the watts...

????

So each cab is receiving 300W making 600W total?
Well either way it should work out just fine as long as you are no cranking it to the max.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by NCBass93
the ohms are fine.

its just the watts...

????

300w going into each separately...Yeah that's totally fine and gives you some head room.
I feel its more a case of you head being damaged when underpowering, firstly a 30 watt head into a 200 watt head is going to have to work very hard to make bass speakers repond, the speakers require more power to move them, so the 30 watt amp will strugglem and eventually shut down or break or both.
The speakers will also get damaged when underpowering, well they could any way, there moving enough, there straining to produce the note, and could lead to damage.

Youll be fine with that what head are you using, and what cabs, and why may ia ask, di you buy 200 watt cabs when you knew this could be a problem. The speaker s will be working at there full capacity so producing the sound better, but if you push the head too far, the speaker wont be able to handle it and BOOM.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Greenday389
300w going into each separately...Yeah that's totally fine and gives you some head room.

im not sure that its exactly called headroom, i always took headroom to mean the amount of clean tone you can get form your amp before it starts to break up or similiar.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
im not sure that its exactly called headroom, i always took headroom to mean the amount of clean tone you can get form your amp before it starts to break up or similiar.

Okay take a 200w head going to a 200w cab. Then take a a 300w head going to a 200w cab. The 300w head doesn't have to work as hard to pump out 200w as the 200w head has to. Therefor you can get more volume without breaking up on the 300w head.
Yes... but if he turns it up too loud, pop. Buggered speakers.

The real clincher is if the head puts out 300W at 4 ohms, and you've got two speakers that can handle 200W at 8Ohms each. Then it's okay.

If it's not that, don't turn the head up too loud.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
But if he had an amp that was a 1000 watts and he has a 1200watt cabinet, and he only needs to turn it up 1\4 to get desired volume, he will then have an abudince of head room.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
But if he had an amp that was a 1000 watts and he has a 1200watt cabinet, and he only needs to turn it up 1\4 to get desired volume, he will then have an abudince of head room.

Yes. But the TS didn't ask about underpowering his cabs - He's talking about overpowering it.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Yep i know that, but i wouldnt exactly call 300 watts into 200watts cab "headroom".
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Casketcreep
So does anyone actually know if underpowering is harmful? Instead of everyone guessing.

No. Underpowering is not dangerous.

Overpowering, as in, putting too many watts into a cab that isn't designed to handle it, is.

I have no idea where headroom came into this, because that's just how loud an amp can go before distortion starts. If these cabs start distorting, it's because too much is being put into them.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
No. Underpowering is not dangerous.

Overpowering, as in, putting too many watts into a cab that isn't designed to handle it, is.

I have no idea where headroom came into this, because that's just how loud an amp can go before distortion starts. If these cabs start distorting, it's because too much is being put into them.

Listen to this.
Underpowering can be dangerous in the long run, your going to be making the head work much harder to move the speakers, which will require a bigger load to push them, also the speakers them selves can be damaged dew to the strain of trying to move. Its better to be safe then sorry on all things.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul