what are the pros and cons of a bigsby vs a floyd rose? i am not asking witch is better, just what are the ups and downs of bolth
Um, for the FR-lots of people complain about keeping in tune, and changing strings. That's just part of having the locking trem - yeah, changing strings is a bit of a process. But.....I love FR, and I'm not even a real shredder or anything. It just stays in tune real well, and I can do lots of Hendrix-styled trem work when the occasion calls for it.
Once you get the FR set up correctly for your playing style, it's gold. With that said, people also say a con of the FR is that it takes away from the guitar's tone. I think you just have to play a bunch of guitars w/ FR to see if you think this is correct.
Pros of a bigsby-old school trem effects that sound really cool.
I don't see the point comparing those two. They're two very different type of bridge.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
I don't see the point comparing those two. They're two very different type of bridge.

+1
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by hminh87

he's not asking for a comparison. he just wants to know the pros and cons of each.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
the bigsby isnt even as noticeable as a vintage style trem
the FR is divebomb -tastic
they're basically opposite ends of the spectrum
if you have alot of gain i doubt you would hear a bigsby being used
the FR is more versatile
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
IIRC, a bigsby is a down-only trem, whereas a FR goes in both directions. The Bigsby will be by far easier to change strings with and to tune and retune, but the FR (assuming it's double locking) will stay in tune better.

However, the biggest advantage the bigsby has by far is that, unlike a floyd rose, if you break a string, the others will not instantly go wildly out of tune, so you can finish the song.
Quote by selibucaz
what are the pros and cons of a bigsby vs a floyd rose? i am not asking witch is better, just what are the ups and downs of bolth

I think a good way of thinking about the difference between the two is that the FR is the more excessive of the two. A Bigsby is in its happy zone doing subtle or slower vibrato/tremolo stuff while a FR can really be wailed on and stay in tune. The Bigsby is stiffer though, and by that I mean when you bend a string it's not going to slacken all of the other strings nearly as much. Do an oblique bend with a FR and all of the other strings will go flat rather noticeably.

Quote by hminh87

Well it's a good thing that the OP asked for people to point out the biggest differences then! It's almost as if he anticipated your snarkiness.
Last edited by Comfortablylomb at Mar 9, 2009,
FR = METAL, Bigsby = NOT METAL
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack