I'm a huge metal fan , and i want to make a great metal rifff like to death metal, melodic death , and technical death, for examplelike lamb of god how do they know how to make great or in flames i been struggling how to make a death metal riff.
Trial and error.
Practice.
Theory.
By Ear.
"What sounds good"
Probably some more theory.
More trial and error.

Oh, did I mention the trial and error?

Chances are they didn't think the riff was cool, it just sounded good. Then became famous.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Well, number one, LoG is not death metal. If you want death metal, or even better tech death, listen to Between the Buried and Me or the Faceless.
And dude, writing has to come from you- you've gotta just listen and absorb as much music as you can, and hopefully you'll form ideas that come from inspiration from those songs.
Good luck bro.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
Well Ill tell you what I know about Lamb Of God! One of the Lamb Of God members cant remember which one went to berkely, so they have alot of diffrent influences. When your writeing a riff which is much more eaiser with more than one person each person bring a new style to the table. I hope this helps this is kinda a hard question to answer!
You don't just **** it out of your fingertips. It takes practice. Practice practice practice. And when youre done with that, tape your fingers and practice some more.
Quote by cgolden
Well, number one, LoG is not death metal. If you want death metal, or even better tech death, listen to Between the Buried and Me or the Faceless.
And dude, writing has to come from you- you've gotta just listen and absorb as much music as you can, and hopefully you'll form ideas that come from inspiration from those songs.
Good luck bro.

and neither is between the buried and me
Quote by Invokke_Havokk
Trial and error.
Practice.
Theory.
By Ear.
"What sounds good"
Probably some more theory.
More trial and error.

Oh, did I mention the trial and error?

Chances are they didn't think the riff was cool, it just sounded good. Then became famous.

i second this.
you know, ive owned 8 different guitars over my lifetime, and right now i have 3. i wanna know what the hell happened...i mean the picks and cables are understandable, they disappear into thin air all the time, but guitars?

What would define them as? Prog tech? Not really.
They don't really fall under any category, but their tech skills are amazing.
Melodic tech? Dunno man.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
Quote by SnooBag101
IMAGINATIOn

be sure to note that "Gin" is at the center of imagination.
Standard Fender Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
Quote by zipppy2006
be sure to note that "Gin" is at the center of imagination.

And the word "drugs" hidden in between the I and the M> But seriously, they write good riffs because they write an assload and hone their craft.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Don't write on psychedelics (weed, lsd, shrooms, deleriants). Everything sounds awesome on psychedelics. Everything. Every note sounds like it came from heaven and is so powerfull. Every sound has a thought, vision, physical feeling, taste and smell associated to it. At the time, you might think you're writing gold, but you're actually writing crap sober people (AKA, most of your audience) will hate.
Not that I know from experience ofcourse...

Seriously, you want to write good riffs? Just noodle around for something good and then change a few notes so it fits with everything else and sounds better. If you present and edit it right, anything can sound good.
BTW, keeping in mind most of the song is in the main melody, whether sung or played by a lead instrument. If a riff doesn't sound good (in counterpoint) with the main melody or (worse still) you don't have a main melody (just riffs), your song will most likely sound like crap.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Definately learn some thoery - maybe some melodic scales?

This is from "Machine Gun" tabbed by Mad Skillz

------------------------0--------------------------------------------------------------------|
---------------------------------------0-----------------------------------------------------|
-------------------2(4)---2(4)2p0------1--0----------------15----15--------------------------|
---2-0t2--2p0-2-------------------0t2--2----0t2~~---14(16)---(16)---14(16)14p12---12---------|
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------14----14p12---|
-0---------------0------------------------------------------------------------------------12-|

Look at the transition in the pentatonic scales

Or how the riffs are created in - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/jimi_hendrix/voodoo_child_ver7_tab.htm tabbed by skech.
Pick a key and play around with a few notes of the scale til you come up with something you like. Then develop it.
I've found improvising with LoG in the harmonic minor seems to work so I think they use that quite alot, it's pretty dark sounding. It's just a natural minor scale but with a natural 7 rather than a 7b.