ok this may sound stupid but im tryin to make the bridge flat on my fat strat. i screwed the claw down just enough so it stays flat. the thing is i still want to be able to use the tremolo to drop pitch but when i go to screw the tremolo arm on it hits the body and i cant.

do i need to tighten the screws on the top of the bridge?
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
Last edited by someguy27 at Mar 9, 2009,
Go to a shop, have them block it.

Or check out a tremolo-no (tremolno - not sure which it's spelled as). I'm not sure how they work on strat style trems. Look into it?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by someguy27
ok this may sound stupid but im tryin to make the bridge flat on my fat strat. i screwed the claw down just enough so it stays flat. the thing is i still want to be able to use the tremolo to 1 drop pitch but when i go to 2screw the tremolo on it hits the body and i cant.
?

1Do you mean raise? because you can still drop the pitch with the tremolo tightened all the way down, it will just be more resistant.

2 you mean the bar? It shouldnt be stopped because the tremolo proabably has a separate cavity, and the bridge wouldnt even lower that much so tightening the claw would make it unable to be used.
yea i screwed that up.... the bar when i spin it on hits the body cause the bridge is pulled down in the back.... i really dont know how to word this lol

i guess what im sayin is when the the claw is screwed in and the bridge is against the body, i cant screw on the tremolo arm... do i need to tighten the scews on the bridge under the strings?

edit
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
Last edited by someguy27 at Mar 9, 2009,
If you adjust the tremolo flushed against the surface body of a Strat (by screwing in the two large screws to tighten the springs) then sometimes when you screw the tremolo arm in it hits the rear of the guitar body. You might want to loosen the springs, install the arm and then tighten the springs again.

Otherwise, you can adjust the tremola plate to be about 1/8" above the surface. First loosen the springs enough so you can place a few guitar picks (or some flat item) between the tremoloa bridge and body surface to about 1/8". Then thighten the screws fairly tight. Install the strings, tune and intonate. Then, you can back up the two screws until the guitar picks loosen and drop. The string tension and srings are now balanced so you can dive bomb or pull up a little.
but will it still stay in tune?
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
This is the usual way of adjusting the strat tremolo and itt stays in tune most of the time. Unless you do a lots of super dive bombs...then you should use a better Floydrose trem and a locking nut. Other precaution you could use a little graphite oil or vaselin under the strings by the nut and the saddles. And make sure you use enough turns around the pegs with the ends of the string locking on itself.