What kind of sound does a thinline telecaster give compared to a regular telecaster? Is it a big difference? Could a thinline be used for some softer type rock music?
Member #38 of Alter Bridge Rocks Club PM Logz to join
Its warmer, and yes it would probably be great for soft rock music. If it has humbuckers its gonna be a lot different than a regular tele but if it has single coils then it will only be a bit different, still i think its a good thing to go for.
It all depends on whether you're talking an HH 72' style thinline or an SS 69' style thinline.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
What's the difference between a 72 and a 69 styles?

Is it just one has humbuckers and one has single coils? I just saw the HH and SS there.
Quote by tremonti9482
What's the difference between a 72 and a 69 styles?

Is it just one has humbuckers and one has single coils? I just saw the HH and SS there.

69's have a normal set of teleaster single-coils, 72's have wide-range humbuckers.

Alright I see now. So the 69' would sound more like a standard tele whereas a 72' would give a warmer tone?
Right, though due to the semihollowness, both will be warmer and larger-sounding than a regular telecaster. I'm going to a guitar lesson soon and the place sells guitars, I've seen 69' Thinlines next to regular teles there, I'll compare the two and try to give a more detailed opinion.

It also depends on what style body it's got on it. I've found the Ash and Alder bodied models to have a lot more a of a classic tele tone with a bit of added warmth than the mahogoney bodied models.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
That would be awesome if you could give me your thoughts on the 2. And wood has a fairly big influences on these then?
well, the 72's are all mahogoney, IIRC, and sport muddy sounding Fender style humbuckers. It's not terrible, just NOTHING like a telecaster. The 69's sport mahogoney bodies in most cases, except for the two-tone sunburst model, IIRC. The 69's have the single coils, and because of this sound ALOT more like a telecaster than the '72's do. The 69 Ash model sounds alot like a standard tele, but with more warmth and dimension to the tone. The body routing does make it a little lighter than your normal tele, too.

Now, once you throw in the Squier VM, it gets touch and go. The Squier Thinline actually isn't routed like the 69's are and sports an Alder body, so it sounds MUCH more telecaster-ish than the others, the pickups and bridge are definitely substandard to that of the '69's, but with a bridge swap and a pup swap, you can get a very "tele" sounding thinline out of the Squier VM. I also have to say, comparing the build quality of the MIM tele reissues to the MIC Squier I ended up getting, I was a little disheartened with the quality of the MIM stuff these days.

My best advice would be to find these guitars and try them out, you know know: maybe you're looking for that muddy fender'bucker sound or you want a straight up tele-tone. Just do find out.
Yeah I am going to try and play some to see the differences, that helped a lot with the wood selection process though. I hadn't really thought about the wood affecting it all that much but it is a semi hollow so it would affect it. Thanks for sayin that haha
Quote by tremonti9482
Yeah I am going to try and play some to see the differences, that helped a lot with the wood selection process though. I hadn't really thought about the wood affecting it all that much but it is a semi hollow so it would affect it. Thanks for sayin that haha

wood will effect it in anycase. Solid body guitars sound differant with differant woods, too.
Yeah but it's not quite as big of a difference as far as I know/can tell. It is different, but I would think the wood would make a much bigger difference in a semi hollow than a solid body.