I'm still in the process of learning so I can't do much to a song. Power chords, maybe a little bit of intricacy, is there any tips you could give me? I really want to start writing music, along with learning scales and some songs. Thanks ahead of time to anyone that helps!
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Your guitar will be infinite. Far over 9000.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/oXiDe2030/fnmetal.jpg[/IMG]
learn "normal" chords, both major and minor.. you should know A B C D E F G and Am Bm Cm Dm Em Fm Gm chords by heart, and practice switching between them.

after you know those, you can pretty much play anything on a basic level and it should only take you a couple weeks to learn. This goes for playing songs around campfires, to playing rhythm guitar in a band, to singing while playing/songwriting
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
All depends on the type of music you want to play and compose...

If you want to be the next Jonas Brother...go die....jk....you've already got everything down

If you want to be able to play most other popular music today...you've already got most everything down

If you want to be able to sound like everyone else who writes indie - ish stuff...leard those chords he mentioned and you're set...

If you want to learn real music, i.e. metal, get a teacher ASAP and practice your ass off, it'll pay off....

Cheers

-TFA
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
learn "normal" chords, both major and minor.. you should know A B C D E F G and Am Bm Cm Dm Em Fm Gm chords by heart, and practice switching between them.

after you know those, you can pretty much play anything on a basic level and it should only take you a couple weeks to learn. This goes for playing songs around campfires, to playing rhythm guitar in a band, to singing while playing/songwriting

This. I've written quite a bit of material with this and a decent knowledge of chord progressions and cadences.
Quote by TyrsFromAbove37
If you want to learn real music, i.e. metal, get a teacher ASAP and practice your ass off, it'll pay off....

Because that's not overzealous or anything

Anyway. The major and minor chords are the most important because it makes the barre shapes easier to learn. You should be able to play EVERYTHING acoustic after that, save a few irregular chords with manes that take three breaths of air to say.

And as for power chords, they make up most of music. But don't just stick to the normal root and fifth pattern or what ever. Learn the different shapes. There are more than just that one shape that will sound good all over the fretboard like a power chord does.

I hope that helps.
Thanks guys, Ill look into a teacher. I WAS gunna go with "self-taught" but the teacher part looks better in the long run.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Your guitar will be infinite. Far over 9000.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/oXiDe2030/fnmetal.jpg[/IMG]