Every time i flip through one of my guitar magazines, i see adds for lipstick pickups.
I was wondering how they sound and if it's worth even considering looking into. I was thinking of sticking one on in my cheap strat, just to maximize tone possibilities. What do you think?
They basically sound like any other single coil pickup. If the cover is brass it simply looks different, if the cover is nickle then it will 'round off' some of the shrill high-end response you can get with some single coils. Even then it's not a huge difference.

Original style lipstick pickups were a bit different and sounded like a coil split humbucker or a lower output P-90. I'm not aware of any company still making lipstick pickups like that though.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
They're like Strat pickups almost. I tried a guitar with them in it, and it nailed the SRV tone while playing through a Blues Jr.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
My intention was to expand the tonal options on my guitar, and so far lipstick pickups sound like what i already have. Any other suggestions? Ive got an humbucker in the bridge already. I play everything from blues to metal so versatility is important to me.
What kind of humbucker? If you're looking for complete tonal diversity, I would go:
Seymour Duncan SH-4 in the bridge.
Seymour Duncan Duckbucker in the middle.
SCR-1 Cool Rails in the neck
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Just the stock Humbucker in the bridge, its just a cheap mexican, so i don't want to pour to much into it, but do you have more suggestions for the middle? i like the clean i get off the neck pick up, but dont get much use out of the middle. Whats with the Duckbucker?
We need more info than that. Ther are so many things that effect your tone, not to mention so many different pickups out there, just 'I have a Strat and I want it to sound better' isn't any help.

What amp do you have?
What is your playing level/style?
What guitar do you have exactly (just 'a Strat' isn't enough info)
Do you use any pedals/effects often?
What do you currently think is wrong with your tone and in what way would you like to improve it? If possible it helps to give specific examples of what you consider a good neck tone, good bridge tone, etc.
What is your budget?
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Sorry to be vague, I just have a mexican Standard HSS Stratocaster, everything is still stock. I play through a 15 watt Line 6 spyder and Podxt Live and occasionaly a 30 watt VOX valvetronics, not sure of the exact model, it's a friends. I use my effects board pretty sparingly, mainly for distortion, amp modeling and the occasional wah. I play some metal stuff, but am happy with the tone i get for it. I was hoping to improve some of my clean tones and get more use out of my middle pickup, currently it hums liek crazy and sounds flat and dull. I was hoping to emulate clean tone similar to John Frusciante's eaerlier stuff with RHCP as well as finding a good jazz tone. I consider myself a decent player, but always have more to learn
My budget is pretty low, 150 or less, if i decide to spend more it would probably be an amp upgrade, but that would not be in the near future
Last edited by trouty711 at Mar 10, 2009,