Page 1 of 2
ive always said that a great player can make anything sound good.
with that said, i thought that sounded good. not great.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
can you find one that doesnt break?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I'm not tone deaf, and I don't think that sounds particularly good. It doesn't sound god-awful, but I don't care for it.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by jj1565
can you find one that doesnt break?

ive personally owned one for three years, no problems yet and no signs on the horizon.
That guy can really play, and although he did get some decent tones out of it, overall I thought it sounded pretty lifeless and bland. Not anything TOO bad, but not anything too great either.
Some of the settings were fairly good for a spider.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
So when's the part that you tell us we're all bandwagoners and elitists? It's gotta be comin somewhere. It always does in threads like these.

I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
So when's the part that you tell us we're all bandwagoners and elitists? It's gotta be comin somewhere. It always does in threads like these.

****in bandwagoners....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I didnt make this thread to throw stones, just to reenforce a statement to bandwagoners to actually PLAY An amp and spend time with it before you make a judgement, and to the so called elitists? Well i would consider people who post on the UG message board far from being anything elite, but thats just me.
Sounds ok at that low volume, but if he turned it past 3 it would sound really bad. But its still a good bedroom amp.
Last edited by Tempoe at Mar 10, 2009,
Meh. That guy was pretty good however. I can make my fender cybertwin sound like my rockerverb with post production, keep that in mind.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by TheCalvinator
I didnt make this thread to throw stones, just to reenforce a statement to bandwagoners to actually PLAY An amp and spend time with it before you make a judgement, and to the so called elitists? Well i would consider people who post on the UG message board far from being anything elite, but thats just me.

I post a lot on a different forum as well...and trust me...there are elitists there *cough HRI cough*
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Sounds compressed and lifeless, and probably sounds worse in real life.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
I wasn't really impressed with his tone... but I was able to get some good sounds out of my Spider when I had it.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
Quote by TheCalvinator

How is this thread proving anything? I understand that tone is very subjective but I honestly think that the majority of UG members (well... the ones who actually know what they're talking about at least) will agree when I say that the tone in that video was mediocre, at best. Also, as someone else pointed out, there was probably a good bit of sound engineering done during the post production.
It sounded decent.

I have a Spider III, got it for X-mas, and it sounds decent.

My next amp will be a Peavy or Marshall.
Quote by TheCalvinator
Watch this whole video(Sorry, the guy doesnt speak english, but his fingers do all the talking i can understand.) And if you really go the brass to say that does not sound good or have good tone, then maybe it is YOU who is tone deaf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQPX5KLB3AI&feature=related

All this shows is that good tone is subjective, because I did not think it was really good tone at all. Did it sound bad overall? No, because the playing was quite good, but the tone itself was not that great. The tone of Spider's usually sounds bad because it's generally compounded with people who can't play guitar. Any decent guitarist can make any amp sound decent.
he certainly gets a decent tone out of the clean and metal channels due to his good playing.

he still can't make crunch or insane sound good.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
idk still sounnds like a spider to me lol

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Moral of the story.... It's easier to make a mediocre amp sound good with skillful playing than it it is to make a great amp sound good with bad playing.
I get pretty good tones out of the spider too.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
Quote by Say Ocean
Oh man, camcorders through youtube's compression are such a great basis for comparing tone.

if you look close enough you'll see that he actually has a mic set up on the amp.

it wasn't bad, but i can say from experience (i had a line 6 spider II) that the amp does get a bit frustrating when playing on the higher gain settings.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Eh it sounds verrry digitalised and the cleans are less than inspiring.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by fly135
Moral of the story.... It's easier to make a mediocre amp sound good with skillful playing than it it is to make a great amp sound good with bad playing.

Imagine how good he would sound out of a decent amp.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I am a believer in the Spiders, but they are not world class amps. I enjoy the tones that come from them. But I've grown out of mine and i'm saving up for a Hughes and Kettner Trilogy :

i've heard some real crap from supposed great amps. and some really great stuff from supposed crap amps. It's all in your ear, and you can't influence someone else's opinion on how something sounds. It's just not physically possible. If you like the sound of a spider, that is good for you and that should be respected. If you hate the sound of a spider, that's your opinion and that should be respected too. But privacy should not be intruded on. spider lovers and haters shouldn't battle things out about something that you cannot actually argue about.

It is true, there are many much better sounding amps. But really, when it comes down to the $$$, you get a crapload more bang for you buck with a spider. Some people truely need versitality (such as myself). and they may or may not be willing to sacrifice a bit of tone to get that versitality in a cheaper amp. But if you're specializing in one specific genre, you should most likely get a specific amp other than a spider.

also, if all the shops only sell spiders, it's not going to help you much if someone suggests an amp that's not there

needless to say, i'm sure that the anti- vs. pro- spider feud will last on.
It's the hands. A good pair of hands can make crap sound kickass. Likewise, plug an idiot into a 1959 Les Paul and a 1966 Marshall Bluesbreaker, and he'll sound awful as usual. The gear helps, gives a voicing to the playing. Better gear(especially with amps) generally gives a better voicing. A good pair of hands can shine on anything though, similar to how Freddie Mercury, Jim Morrison, (both RIP), or David Lee Roth can/could sing through the crappiest PA in the world and would/would've still sound/sounded great.

It's the player that makes the sound. A good amp and guitar just make it all a little easier.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I've played one, multiple times, at multiple volume levels, on multiple setting, with multiple EQ settings, and for quite a while.

And guess what?

It sounded like ass. Get over it.
^^ I've played the amp in my sig and my friend's Marshall 40th anniversary full stack with cranked volume and everything. My amp was equally as good. No joke. there was consensus all around. I've gotten complimented for my tone with that amp many many times.
Quote by Sonic Blast
^^ I've played the amp in my sig and my friend's Marshall 40th anniversary full stack with cranked volume and everything. My amp was equally as good. No joke. there was consensus all around. I've gotten complimented for my tone with that amp many many times.

I'm sorry, but I find that very hard to believe. Post a clip as proof plz.

Quote by necrosis1193
I'm sorry, but I find that very hard to believe. Post a clip as proof plz.

sorry man... i truely wish i could. the girl who's amp it was got deported from saudi arabia last year due to theft and breaking and entering. and my mp3 player (for recording sadly) is in the USA getting fixed.

what i'm trying to say, is that I've really worked with the EQ to make it work for me, and i've gotten my spider to sound like a great amp. I have grown out of it like i said earlier because it could sound better and tone is more and more important to me. i'm currently saving up for a full valve H&K. and maybe it's me maturing as a guitar player, but i make that spider shine.
It STILL sounds like junk, IMO.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^^Well, like I said, a good player can make crap sound like pieces of utter genius. It's more about the player, but a good amp just makes it all the easier.

I'm ignoring the playing necro, and just looking at the tone. It flat out SUCKS, IMO.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Tone 'from the fingers' is only shown when you have quality gear that lets your playing dynamics be heard.
The first bit sounded ok, the clean and crunch sucked, the metal setting was like sandpaper on my ears. The insane channel sounded fake. Face it, it sucks.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Retro Rocker
Tone 'from the fingers' is only shown when you have quality gear that lets your playing dynamics be heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9v5e1TTwts

Page 1 of 2