Get away with posting music, shows, movies, and such? I mean there is programs out there that can rip off of youtube onto something else like an mp3 player. So how do they get to do it when Limewire is looked down upon by the government?(although rightly so.)
I thought YouTube was cracking down on everything. They've cracked down on TV shows for a good two years now...
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by Xaxu
How so?

what do you mean? if you're listening to internet radio and record your songs using audacity or whatever, its perfectly legal. it's just like taping songs off of normal broadcasted radio.
Quote by CoreysMonster
what do you mean? if you're listening to internet radio and record your songs using audacity or whatever, its perfectly legal. it's just like taping songs off of normal broadcasted radio.

Ummm, pretty sure that's not legal in the first place. Don't get me wrong, nobody's going to bust you for recording the radio, internet or otherwise, but I think that's the way it goes. Could be wrong.
Quote by CoreysMonster

Well...that is where im confused, if it's not illegal to record on a tape, why is it illegal at all to have them? Or is it just illegal to host them or sell them for a profit. I can see where the artist is coming from but they get paid "in advance" for those songs. Everything after is just bonus. If it were me i would be happy with the money i got already but that is just me.

Ummm, pretty sure that's not legal in the first place. Don't get me wrong, nobody's going to bust you for recording the radio, internet or otherwise, but I think that's the way it goes. Could be wrong.

For this i think it's mainly who's gonna know? Unless the government has some kinda satellite that can see through buildings into your room....<.< >,>
Last edited by Xaxu at Mar 10, 2009,
THey don't. They take down videos if they get take down notices. But they work with a lot of large companies which is why they can keep some things up.

And the reason they don't get in trouble for piracy like other sites do is because Google owns Youtube now, and Google is working with the MPAA, RIAA, IFPI, etc. to crack down on piracy.
That's the same reason they don't get in trouble for indexing torrents.

EDIT:
And I'm pretty sure recording off of normal broadcasted radio is illegal.
Quote by Xaxu
Well...that is where im confused, if it's not illegal to record on a tape, why is it illegal at all to have them? Or is it just illegal to host them or sell them for a profit. I can see where the artist is coming from but they get paid "in advance" for those songs. Everything after is just bonus. If it were me i would be happy with the money i got already but that is just me.

For this i think it's mainly who's gonna know? Unless the government has some kinda satellite that can see through buildings into your room....<.< >,>

the point isn't, "who's gonna know" it's whether or not it's legal. and it isn't. you didn't buy it so it's not yours.
███████████████████████████████████
Quote by tona_107
the point isn't, "who's gonna know" it's whether or not it's legal. and it isn't. you didn't buy it so it's not yours.

On that point i do agree.
I'll let you in on another secret.
Youtube doesn't POST anything. Users do.
And there's an agreement when you make an account that you're not going to use it for illegal purposes I'm sure. And if you do they delete your videos or account.
That's why limewire and p2p software in general is still legal.
Hmmm... Can I get introuble for downloading off of limewire? Or is it the people that posted it that get into trouble?
Two reasons:

A) Out of the millions of videos, youtube can not search and verify the legality of every single one. Thus is stays for a period of time, sometimes long periods, but it will eventually be deleted.

B) It is free advertisement for your product, band, show, etc..
Anyone else miss making mix-tapes from the radio using cassette tapes? Man, those were the days.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I'll tell you a secret:

recording from internet radio is legal

It takes way too much effort though, I'd rather just type something in on limewire, double click it and be done.
Quote by ScottElwood
Anyone else miss making mix-tapes from the radio using cassette tapes? Man, those were the days.

What are these cassette tapes you speak of? are they the ancient tools used to record music? Are they what they like what they call "VHS's"? hehe
you think this is the first time all this **** happened? same thing with tape casettes and VCR's that can record.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
They are cracking down on that. Not to mention youtube makes complete **** for Mp3s.
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
You can watch all the whose line is it now episodes on youtube and they have been on there for years. Also you can watch all the trailer park boys shows and specials, including the full film, but that is because whoever owns the rights to the series posted it.
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████