Poll: What to do (read OP first)
Poll Options
View poll results: What to do (read OP first)
Keep my current pickups (not yet installed) (please explain why)
5 38%
Switch to passives (please recomend one and explain)
8 62%
Voters: 13.
Here is my situation:

As some of you may know, some time back I was on the forums debating on what pickups I should get.

Obviously some recommended passives while others recommended actives.

I said I was looking for a sound very similar to System of a Down (whose guitarist uses a SD SH-6 Distortion on the bridge (which is the pickup he pretty much only uses)). But the thins is, I was afraid that going from passive pickups (stock Gibson 490s in my case) to passive would not give me that much of a noticeable difference in tone compared to going from passive to active. Due to this bothering fear, I decided on SD Blackouts (which was recommended to me for its high gain).

That was like back in December. In late December my aunt got them for me for Xmas, the thing is, I could not install them because I had no idea how to (as well as not having the money to pay for installation). But after asking around I found that someone with soldering experience can get it done, so I called up my cousin (who has soldering experience through installing new radios into cars).

Finally, after three months, he informed me that he can come by tomorrow after 6.
However, I am having some last minute doubts, which is why I want your advice (note that they are opened and cannot return them, but I have everything it came with (box, packaging, etc.)

See all I am looking for is a pickup that can give me a punch like System of a Down and Protest the Hero while still not giving me terrible cleans.

Samples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhMfz4HrcEA

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdRd3k4CIAg

as well as (of course)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJmt3dr9XYQ

Whatever choice you choose in the poll, please kindly explain with a reply.

Please ask any questions you may need and I will reply/edit my OP accordingly. your help is highly appreciated and I will be thankful

Thanks again

gpowsang
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
Gibson SG Special Faded Brown w/ Duncan Blackouts
AMP
B-52 At-112 60 Wat All Tube Combo
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
SG --> MXR --> ISP --> B-52
Last edited by gpowsang at Mar 10, 2009,
You seriously just posted a similar thread...like 5 posts down....wtf
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
^wat?
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
AMP
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
unless you changed the entire post
Quote by Brendan.Clace
You seriously just posted a similar thread...like 5 posts down....wtf

He deleted that one and created this one. This one has more details than the previous post and it has a poll included
Quote by i_am_metalhead
He deleted that one and created this one. This one has more details than the previous post and it has a poll included

THAAAAT makes sense now...i was like "WTF" i just saw this post
^can we stay on topic please?
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
AMP
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
Personally, I'd suggest the Bareknuckle Pickups' 'Warpig' set but that depends on your budget I guess. They would totally kick ass in your SG though, and would definitely give you a great sound similar to what you're after. They also have (arguably) warmer cleans than many other high-gain pickups.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Just go with the Blackouts man.
Guitar:
Schecter Tempest Custom
Amp:
-currently looking
Pedalboard:
KORG pitchblack
BOSS SD-2
iSP Decimator
Ibanez DE7
To DisarmGoliath:

ill start writing down the suggestions, thanks!

btw if i do decide to go to passives my budget will be around 120-150 USD depending on how much i can sell these completely unused blackouts for, but then again i may only need a bridge pickup.....?
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
AMP
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
Quote by gpowsang
To DisarmGoliath:

ill start writing down the suggestions, thanks!

btw if i do decide to go to passives my budget will be around 120-150 USD depending on how much i can sell these completely unused blackouts for, but then again i may only need a bridge pickup.....?

That rules out Bareknuckles than I guess, especially to ship them to the US, unless you only need the bridge in the end and in that case you may have enough just about

Edit: Here's a link anyway (link) but bear in mind you don't have to get them with that cover on if it's not to your tastes
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
That rules out Bareknuckles than I guess, especially to ship them to the US, unless you only need the bridge in the end and in that case you may have enough just about

to be honest id rather keep to local guitar shops like music 123 and GC

btw as a point of reference, I can play some System songs and sound about 80-90% like the recordings with my sg, amp, and sticks, but of course i dont have a mesa recto like he does lol
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
AMP
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
not all passive pickups sound the same, the change from passive to passive can be just as noticeable if not more noticeable than passive to active depending on what kind of pickups you're going from/to.

I don't see what the doubt is about, it's not like you can change your mind and return the blackouts, you might as well just install them and see how it goes.
yeah im gonna call hi over to install them later today, if i like them ill stik with them and if i dont wil stick with them for a while then change
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
AMP
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
Don't know if its been asked yet...but what kind of amp are you using?

EDIT: nvm just notice your sig

I'd stick with the blackouts
im sure they will sound great. the active/ passive debate is way too overrated.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
I'd say since you've already got them, to stick with them.

But, when changing from a passive to another passive, the difference can be IMMENSE!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I've heard blackouts are pretty dam good pickups for actives, and going through a decent amp like that, you should happy.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE