So I've had the Metal Muff for a while now, love the sound of it and everything. I needed a wah pedal for a film scoring that I'm about to start on, so I tried a few and liked the Dunlop Crybaby (original, the ~$65.00 one), so I brought that one home.

It sounds great alone and with my TS Turbo, but for some reason I can't get a good tone with the Metal Muff on. In front of the MM, the wah only sounds like it has two settings, open or closed, no "wah" sound in between. When I put it after the MM, it has a better wah effect, but it messes with the tone a lot more than I would like. Plus, it sounds better before the TS Turbo, and I have the TS before the MM in my chain, so I can't really put it after everything and have it work out.

The question I'm really asking is: Is there a way to get a good wah sound with the Crybaby while using heavy distortion, or is there a different wah I should use for that? I searched around and couldn't really find any answers.
Hmm I hear that the Ibanez weeping Demon is good for dist. wah. Also, a wah with a boost built in would help, but I don't have any reccomendations there.

sounds like the meal muff has a little noise gate built in that sucks your wah tone...

Dump the metal muff and get a new amp!
I own an Ibanez weeping demon and it is AMAZING with distortion, it's sick dude, just go try it and you won't be disappointed.
i had the the same problem man, a wah with a boost knob did the trick for me....maybe get morely power wah?
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
What you are experiencing is called oscillation, this occurs because your crybaby (GCB-95) does not have an output buffer.

If your handy with a soldering iron you could make one, there’s only a few parts and it would cost you bout $3.00

You can purchase one from http://www.foxroxelectronics.com for $45. kinda expensive for a few components but it will fix your problem.

Or you could do it the easy way. You can just utilise the buffers from a boss style pedal, like your TS turbo, you could put you Wah / TS Turbo / MM – but don’t turn on the TS and you should be good to go… try out a few of your other buffered pedals to compare the response of your wah.. I just could be the answer.

keep rocking
alf...
Keep Rocking
alf...
Or you could do it the easy way. You can just utilise the buffers from a boss style pedal, like your TS turbo, you could put you Wah / TS Turbo / MM – but don’t turn on the TS and you should be good to go… try out a few of your other buffered pedals to compare the response of your wah.. I just could be the answer.

I tried doing this, and it barely affected the sound. I used 3 other pedals in front of it and they all just barely changed from just straight Crybaby>MM.

Would putting on the output buffer in the Crybaby itself help more, or should I try out other wahs?
Quote by alfalfasprout69
What you are experiencing is called oscillation, this occurs because your crybaby (GCB-95) does not have an output buffer.

If your handy with a soldering iron you could make one, there’s only a few parts and it would cost you bout $3.00

You can purchase one from http://www.foxroxelectronics.com for $45. kinda expensive for a few components but it will fix your problem.

keep rocking
alf...

Props for the excellent post! much Better than ditch your amporz and buy new pedals.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by ssycko
Would putting on the output buffer in the Crybaby itself help more, or should I try out other wahs?

it might.. but the crybaby may be limited... I have a crybaby that has experienced the same problem, found that boss pedals work ok with mine,, but I know what you mean, I've also found that when I use the cry baby with certain amps model's on my line6 spider III it can be crap or good, iv also found that you can get better results with distortion if you turn up the mids on your amp.. I could be wrong but doesn't the MM have a serious scooped mid section to its sound??? that could be the cause, seeming wah's adjusting the mid feq...

the foxrox retro fit has an adjustable gain control on it, so it might just be the oomph you need but it's hard to say without trying one. but I have heard really good things about it..

I made an output buffer for my wah but found I didn't really like it much, got the schematic from http://www.muzique.com/news/wah-pedal-buffer/

I also made one from http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/mccoy.php

so if you want them shoot me your email & address on the Private message and il send em to you... I live in Australia so it could take a while to get to you, but I don't use them so they just sit here collecting dust...

as for my wah.. sadly iv given up on it.. it has a ton of mods that made it a bit better but I just don't think my crybaby was made for hi-gain. when I can track one down il try to get my hands on a Geoffrey Teese RMC Wizard wah... it's made to work with hi-gain & hi-output pickups so im intrigued...

anyways... hope this helped

keep rocking
alf

Keep Rocking
alf...