does anyone else have problems holding onto their picks? i do, and my picks even have sandpaper-like grips on them! i swear, i could have the nastiest, grittiest, blood-blistering sandpaper tacked onto a pick and it still wouldnt stay in place. this mostly happens with typical thrashing riffs (tremolo picked palm mutes and power chords). i think it could be my sweaty fingers? i swear though, if i could just concentrate on riffs and not worry about my pick sliding out of place i could improve my playing much further or maybe actually play a whole song. i hold my pick like paul gilbert, very comfortable until it slides out of place.
That used to happen to me until I got Snarling Dogs Brain picks they work really good for this problem if you don't "hunker down" on the tip.
You could try melting/putting holes/lines in your picks to help it not slide around.

I use to have this problem no matter what I tried but it stopped after awhile on it's own. I get a little shifting now and then but nothing that I can't easily fix while playing. Keep trying?
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
This happened to me when I held the pic more by my finger tips. I soon as I changed to more fist shaped hand grip the pic rarely moves. My new grip is fine for any type of playing.
I have this sometimes as well, when my hands get kinda greasy. Especially when strumming. You could try just washing your hands with soap before playing.....a more drastic measure would be to chalk your hand up, like Steve Harris of Iron Maiden does.

At first I thought it was my pick, so I went around trying a few, and it was all good, but then I tried my first one again....made no difference.....was pretty weird.
Dunno...it just dissappeared.
I score all mine to give them a bit more grip, but I still managed to chuck one across the room mid strum yesterday. Doesn't happen often though.
Quote by Bottle of Dirt
That used to happen to me until I got Snarling Dogs Brain picks they work really good for this problem if you don't "hunker down" on the tip.
You could try melting/putting holes/lines in your picks to help it not slide around.

I use to have this problem no matter what I tried but it stopped after awhile on it's own. I get a little shifting now and then but nothing that I can't easily fix while playing. Keep trying?

i've had brain picks. and i've actually melted lines into those. i think that made it worse. keep trying, yeah, i wouldnt be frustrated if i had been playing for a couple weeks and not 3 years with this problem

and about the chalk thing, i've actually thought about doing that before! with chalk that i use for bowling. but it's not exactly chalk, its this powder thats somehow made to make your fingers slippery instead of sticky from sweat. its called "easy slide." so i never tried
Get a bigger pick?
Sorry if I didn't really help because this problem doesn't happen to me.
“The guy said NBA players are one in a million, ... I said, 'Man, look, I'm going to be that one in a million.'”
Kobe Bryant
I went through a huge variety of picks to remedy that problem. I settled on Jazz III's for any metal I play and Everly Stargrips for my punk stuff. I use Gorilla Snot from time to time too.
you could try Gorilla Snot, i havent personally tried it but a lot of people have had success with it. It'll probably cost you like $5-10.

EDIT: just read the one above me...beat me to it
Quote by goleafs
you could try Gorilla Snot, i havent personally tried it but a lot of people have had success with it. It'll probably cost you like $5-10.

EDIT: just read the one above me...beat me to it

It sounds gross :P Wth is it?
Maybe the problem doesn't lie with your grip at all. Maybe it's because you're digging in with the pick. That is, using more of the pick than you need. You don't have to use very much of it to make the string ring out. In fact, when I play even remotely fast, I only just touch the strings.

EDIT:
Quote by MarauderNL

It's a substance that you put on your fingers and makes it easier to grip things. I'm not sure if it's more of a waxy texture, or a tacky texture, but I've heard it works pretty good for stuff like this.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by MarauderNL

Its gel/paste stuff that you put on your fingers where you hold your pick so the pick stays in place. Works like a charm.
Quote by The.new.guy
Maybe the problem doesn't lie with your grip at all. Maybe it's because you're digging in with the pick. That is, using more of the pick than you need. You don't have to use very much of it to make the string ring out. In fact, when I play even remotely fast, I only just touch the strings.
Good point. I think thats why I lose my grip on my pick every now and then.
Quote by The.new.guy

this could be it. but if i use any less of the pick i cant get that "METAL" sound with palm muting, you know? with my 15 watt ibanez, anyway. i'm upgrading soon, don't worry. it also gets a lot worse when the sweat comes in. i remember hearing about gorilla snot before. i'll have to look into that.

the riffs that really get to me are ones with alt picked palm mutes on one string and power chords on the next two strings (four horsemen, pull harder on the strings of your martyr, this calling). however if the chords were on the same string i have much, much less of a problem (fight fire with fire)
Last edited by cloud041089 at Mar 10, 2009,
not sure if someone has said this yet, but check out swiss picks, iv never used them, but the holes in them might give more grip, for people that like to use jazz3 type picks
Quote by istealchili
You could just use your fingers to pick, like a real man.

John Petrucci uses a pick. But he's a bear.
I like the Jim Dunlop nylon picks. Have grip up top and usually the cheapest you can buy. I also like the tone from these picks too.
Visit my music school site for advice on gear, music theory and lessons.
www.essm.net.au
7 Year old thread guys, I think the threadstarter probably figured out how to hold a pick...
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
My go to pick is the Jazz III Max Grip by Dunlop. The ones that i use a re alittle on the thick side but now that i am used to them there is no going back, they will always be my favorite. I know you said you already use picks with grip so these may not make a difference but personally i have not problems with this pick sliding out of my hands. There are way more picks out there that could be viable, take http://www.topguitar.us/category/picks/ for example. Just find one you like and stick to it, good luck!
Last edited by cawlzerz at Jan 20, 2016,
Quote by cawlzerz
I know you said you already use picks with grip

He did say that 7 years ago though.......just in case you are eagerly awaiting a response
Quote by bb4II3r
Get a bigger pick?
Sorry if I didn't really help because this problem doesn't happen to me.

Obviously everyone is different but bigger picks are actually more likely to slip out of my sweaty hands. Ever since I started using Tortex Jazz IIIs (which are tiny compared to most picks) I rarely have this problem anymore.
i mostly use tortex 60's and don't have too many problems with it slipping, but it does happen every once in a while. try sanding down the pick so it isn't very pointy, helps me somehow.
I'm a dirty fuckin' punk / i sell myself for a beer