I'm trying to get my bass technique down to play for a metalcore/hardcore type band. I was wanting to know some good metal songs to learn a various handful of techniques. Thanks alot to anyone who gives some good suggestions.
D string chug is all you will ever need.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Strawberries are cool in real life, but in ice cream, they're like neighbour kids who live across the street from you who like to steal your virginity.

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-6 FR, C-7 FR, C-8
ESP LTD MH-250 w/ EMG 81/85
Yeah, I don't want to just do open notes all the time. I want some songs that follow the guitar like InvaderTSN.
Practice fast, technical stuff, stuff like Symphony X, Dream Theatre. If you can play that, use those skills of speed and complexity and transfer it over to the other genre. The techniques for playing fast are pretty similar, depending on the genre. There is no right way to do it, so do it how it feels right, and practice, practice practice.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Trivium stuff is what I started out learning. Any of the songs off "Ember" Or "Ascendancy" should point you in the right direction...

The best thing is just learn to play songs by bands that you like and then move on to writing your own stuff from there. I play in a metalcore/thrash type band, so if you need any help, ask away.
Trivium's Ascendancy album is a good place to start. Build up finger speed then have a go at some Shogun stuff which is not easy. Start with songs like Ascendancy and Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr and aspire to stuff like Insurrection and Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis (has 2 bass solos).

Metallica (even though they're not HXcore or anything) have some excellent fast metal basslines (especially first 4 albums) have some good stuff to build up speed and cliff burton did some cool runs too. Songs to check out would be Ride the Lightning, Seek and Destroy and Battery.

If you fancy harder stuff, Dream Theater is the way to go, but only if you have more than 4 strings on the bass. Try Constant Motion or Pull Me Under.
I would say work on breakdowns especially for hardcore. try experimenting with some different time signatures. but for the most part you should try your best to keep up with the guitars. try some job for a cowboy or the faceless. these aren't hard core but if u can play some of the awkward time signatures you'll be in good shape.
Yay metalcore! You will definately be following the guitars... ATR, ABR, KsE, ALD. Oh BTW, I put Acronyms to make you think/piss you off.
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Quote by Hammerzeit
Trivium's Ascendancy album is a good place to start. Build up finger speed then have a go at some Shogun stuff which is not easy. Start with songs like Ascendancy and Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr and aspire to stuff like Insurrection and Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis (has 2 bass solos).

Metallica (even though they're not HXcore or anything) have some excellent fast metal basslines (especially first 4 albums) have some good stuff to build up speed and cliff burton did some cool runs too. Songs to check out would be Ride the Lightning, Seek and Destroy and Battery.

If you fancy harder stuff, Dream Theater is the way to go, but only if you have more than 4 strings on the bass. Try Constant Motion or Pull Me Under.

All of which follow the guitar. That makes me think all the albums followed the guitar apart from DM which is the only one Rob recorded

On topic, Peace sells by megadeth is a brilliant song for non guitar following stuff. Also, Death and Athiest etc is excellent.

Nile is good for fast stuff too.
raining blood. 1st song i EVER learned on bass. it got me used to moving around fast, playing different strings, knowing how changing tunings worked, and how to improvise.

and its just a great ****in song

and to the kid above that mentioned Nile... -smack-. Nile is WAYY too difficult for somebody that plays metalcore/hardcore bass. you need somebody who is used to playing death metal or playing EXTREMELY fast in general. metalcore/hardcore will never get him up to speed for somethign like that xD

and ACDC890 are you serious about having to "learn" breakdowns? its just open notes, it takes a half a second to figure breakdowns out cause thats all the are lmao
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Axl Mayhem Fireaxe Guitar
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Combo Bass Amp
Gallien-Krueger 115SBX Bass Cabinet
Lamb Of God.
Progressive stuff too is pretty good like Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Dream Theater and Symphony X.
And, TOOL.
Justin Chancellor is an animal!
You could try and learn Unholy Confessions by Avenged Seven fold. Helps alot on string changes from D to G.
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Trace Elliot GP7SM 200watt bass combo
Not exactly metal, post-hardcore at the time, Thrice's The Arist in the Ambulance has a lot to work with. Differing time signatures, some nice guitar following, some spider scale -like parts (heh, it is a way I get to practice them). I play it with a five string tuned a half step up, but if you don't, it would just be in Drop C. (Stare at the Sun, Paper Tigers, and Silhouette are good practice songs)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by 6stringbasshred
Lamb Of God.
And, TOOL.
Justin Chancellor is an animal!

+999999
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by lordofthefood1
Not exactly metal, post-hardcore at the time, Thrice's The Arist in the Ambulance has a lot to work with. Differing time signatures, some nice guitar following, some spider scale -like parts (heh, it is a way I get to practice them). I play it with a five string tuned a half step up, but if you don't, it would just be in Drop C. (Stare at the Sun, Paper Tigers, and Silhouette are good practice songs)
Where do you get your tabs for Thrice songs? The ones I find are very inaccurate.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Quote by FenderAmpeg93
Where do you get your tabs for Thrice songs? The ones I find are very inaccurate.

I base mine off of the guitarpro ones and fill in what what sounds wrong to me with what I think sounds right. This means I do a lot of my own fills or just follow guitars on them.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Protest The Hero, cause it will improve your tapping no end if you learn any track off Fortress, the Dissentience and Bonemarrow spring to mind for taps
Quote by the humanity
You will be the High Lowlord's High Lowlife!

Ibanez EDB 550
Laney RB6
Mudvayne. That is all. Thank you.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I agree with Trivium. Do Like Light To Flies and Pull Harder to start with. Rain is good for finger speed. Then Shogun songs. Like Callisto and Insurrection are 4-string/6-string songs, and both reasonably technical.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

learn descending by lamb of god and pull harder on the strings of your martyr by trivium to work on your picking and then a lot of cliff burton era metallica for your fret hand and finger picking
Peace Sells by Megadeth?
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
Anything from early Sepultura or Slayer and Death not exactly hardcore or screamo but will get you playing fast. Like everyone else I started learning and playing metallica then discovered Sepultura albums Schizophrenia, Beneath the remains, and Arise