ive been playing for a couple of years now, but only seriously for the past 1 3/4. throughout this time, my fingertips have never stopped peeling. does there come a time when they stop peeling or do they just keep on peeling and peeling for as long as i play?
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Let them recover - they will callus as the others have said. I wouldn't reccomend this but: I used to play guitar until my fingers hurt, not nescesarily peeled and few days later they became resistant.
Quote by AdroG
Let them recover - they will callus as the others have said. I wouldn't reccomend this but: I used to play guitar until my fingers hurt, not nescesarily peeled and few days later they became resistant.

Same here.
But I recommend this technique.
“The guy said NBA players are one in a million, ... I said, 'Man, look, I'm going to be that one in a million.'”
Kobe Bryant
well, my frethand fingertips are considerably harder than my picking hand... have they callused? because they still peel.

i never play until my fingers hurt, because they don't (they used to maybe 3 years ago) - they feel exactly the same before and after playing (even for a 5 hour session)
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
incorporate more barre chords and sliding into your playing and your fingers will peel more/callus faster
Hmmm...it doesn't sound like a lack of callusses. If you didn't have callusses, your fingertips would hurt like a b*tch after 5 hours. Besides they usually only take a month or two to mostly develop from the start of regular playing.

Maybe you've just got a bit of a dry skin problem. Have you tried rubbing a bit of lotion into your fingertips to make sure they don't get too dry?
Use sandpaper soon as they START to peel.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
well, this is a different advice than everyone else, but when I went on holiday, I wasn't able to play guitar for 1 or 2 weeks, and during that time, peeling stopped, and I still had calusses, so I was still able to play guitar...
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

My fingertips look all pealy and flakey, but they are caloused.. if it doesn't hurt, it doesn't matter.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
As long as it doesn't hurt it's ok.
Guitars:

Schecter Omen 6
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Granada F1/65

Amp:

Ibanez Toneblaster 15R
Well, in my cause there isn't anything on my fingertips i would really call calusses. The fingertips on my fretting hand are just harder The main thing is not having pain tho, screw how you manage to do it, as long as you do it:P (in a healthy way xD)
its kind of funny because today i asked myself the same thing. my ring finger started to peel off today, but its the first time it happened for the last few weeks. i am no doctor, there is probably some dead skin that is falling off and some new is growing ... this could be something that is different from person to person?
If something is nothing it must not be something in any possible way
My fingers still peal every now and then, when it starts to hurt a bit, i stop playing for a couple days, just to let my finger tips heal.