I'm going to buy one of these amps. I love my Peavey ultra plus with my avatar cab but it's too much power, too big to carry around. It definitely has "balls" though! And moreso, I want that Mesa "in your face" tone.

I was thinking of picking up a used F-50 somewhere. My current rig will score me $700, im confident i can get that much. An f-50 is something like $550 i think. It has the killing overdrive i want, and pristine cleans.

Then i forgot about the DC series. Which would be better? I can't really find either one easily. The only thing I like about the DC more is the graphic EQ. Love that. How does its clean and OD compare to the f series? How do the DC's vary, like the DC-3, DC-5, etc. How much do they run on cl?

BTW, these are all combos im looking at.

thanks
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

Hands down the F-50. The DC's, from what I hear, are terrible compared to the F series....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
^Really? I've always heard the other way around. RG_Fanman has a DC and says it's better than the F series.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
An F-50 will probably cost more than $550, but it's totally worth it. I'm trading in my F-30 this week for an Ampeg 8x10, but I'm not happy about it. When you need to play bass, you need to play bass...

Let it be known that if my band breaks up or I stop playing bass, my first purchase will be another F-30 or F-50.
So are you the kind of guy that plays the SVT with the 8x10 cab and makes the guitarist cry? lol

But yeah, i'm leaning towards the f-50 now. Way better cleans I hear, and I found out about the "contour" mode. If i got the DC, i would probably scoop it for some rhythm tones because theyre pretty honky i hear. But the contour feature on the f-50 is perfect for me because its the equivalent of doing the graphic "v" shape :P

And to the post above ^^ yeah, normally theyre more than 650 but the economy kind of sucks right now im sure you know.. lol. Interesting conversation yesterday. I was talking home with my gear and a friend when a guy walking his dog approaches us. He asks us what high school we go to etc, and he's the guitar teacher for another local HS. He asks us if we would do battle of the bands with them. We say hell yeah and he says he'll make it happen. Score. Anyways, he asks me about the gear in the shopping cart (haha) and i tell him etc. I told him a 120 watt 2x12 was too much and he agreed. I told him I want an F-50 and he says he bought one the other day for $550 on craigslist. That asshole. Hahahaha.

On another note the guitar teacher dude at my school bought his DC-3 for about $350. I have no clue how he did
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

Last edited by injected at Mar 10, 2009,
The DC amps are much better than the F Series, they're very underrated. I had a chance to pick up a DC-5 head a couple years ago and took a few days to decide on buying, but it was gone within two days of thinking it over. I've been kicking myself for missing out on that ever since.
Quote by injected
So are you the kind of guy that plays the SVT with the 8x10 cab and makes the guitarist cry? lol

But yeah, i'm leaning towards the f-50 now. Way better cleans I hear, and I found out about the "contour" mode. If i got the DC, i would probably scoop it for some rhythm tones because theyre pretty honky i hear. But the contour feature on the f-50 is perfect for me because its the equivalent of doing the graphic "v" shape :P

well i'm actually using a mesa head, but pretty much yeah :-P i've honestly never used a DC series amp, but the F series cleans are awesome and the dirty is even better.
Quote by Highwaytohell
why don't you just get a 2x12 cab for your ultra for more portability?

already do.. my avatar 2x12. its hardly portable.. lol

I would prefer 1x12 combos now. It occured to me when we jammed in the parking lot of a grocery store that i cant be lugging my amps in two pieces (we were carrying them home )

The only thing I'll miss is the closed back bass response.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I love my F-50 combo. Go to the link in my sig for a bunch of clips and stuff.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals