Can I just plug my guitar directly into my Portastudio or do I need to go out and buy a direct box?? I'm a noob at this so please help me out.
most things like that have them built in, but an external DI box might sound better.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by revtfunk
A DI basically serves as an impedence matching device. You don't need one. The porta-studio is designed to have the guitars plugged straight in.

a lot of DI boxes also provide preamps as well, and sometimes speaker emulation...

Quote by kyle62
You don't need one, but don't expect your guitar to sound great without some sort of pre-amplification...

the portastudio will have built in pres, though the ones on a DI box might sound better.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
the portastudio will have built in pres, though the ones on a DI box might sound better.

My mistake, I meant it more in the sense of a preamp section of a guitar amp - something that shapes the guitar tone. Otherwise you'll get a lifeless, raw clean tone which isn't much use (unless you want a spiky funk tone).

Alex, instead of buying a DI box get yourself a guitar modeller of some sort - Pocket POD, Korg AX5, Digitech Rp series, etc. It'll act as a DI, but will give you tons more control over how your guitar sounds.