Hi Guys

A few years ago I stupidly gave a guitar to a friend and asked him to paint it, I've finally got it back but it still needs laqour on the paint. I' e been quoted £150 BPS to have it done but cant afford that and was wondering if you could advise me on how to do it at home.

I've been told at in the past that the stuff they use for doing cars is the best stuff to use.
I just need the easiest and fastest way of doing this, cheers
a few years? wow, took him a while

if you happen to have a air-compressor spray gun it would be much more professional but if you can find a clear automotive lacquer in a spray can (try auto stores) great jobs can be produced.

Just remember to do in a well ventilated area, wear a mask, and do many thin coats leaving time in-between for drying.

also check out the sticky thread on this

aaron
Hi, my name is Aaron

Quote by Scowmoo
You sir, are the definition of Epic Win.

Gear
-Homemade Pine/Blackwood P90 Tele, and few others
- Ceriatone Overtone Special
- GFS Greenie, Pro Chorus, Sparkle Compressor, Pitchblack, Biyang Fuzzstar
Last edited by misterdarling at Mar 10, 2009,
Yep - it's easy enough. Halfords lacquer is good. It gives a nice even spray and doesn't run and spit as easily as the Plastikote stuff. It's in the Halfords car paint section.

As MD says - lots of thin coats is much better. Don't be tempted to save time putting on a wetter coat. It will run and you'll have to wait for it to dry properly, sand it back and go again. Spray on a good number of coats too. You don't want to sand through it and have to start again. I used 15 coats last time I did it.

Once it's sprayed you need to leave it to cure (a couple of weeks) and then get busy with the wet and dry paper, polishing compound etc. This link has a good practical guide for what to do.

http://www.jonlean.com/blog/
Okay.

What kind of finish is on there right now?

If I were you, I would wet sand the finish on a block, with luke warm water and some washing up liquid (just a touch).

Soak the paper in the water for 20 mins before you use it.

This will prepare the surface for lacquer, as if it has been done for any amount of time, you would be taking a risk by lacquering straight over it.

Then get on Ebay and search for 2k lacquer or clear coat.

You can buy it these days in special spray cans, where you mix the two parts inside before use.

I would buy 3-4 cans at around £12 each.

Stop using them once they start to feel empty, otherwise they will spit and screw the finish.

Use a well ventilated area, use a 40 day spray mask and goggles too.

This stuff cures in around 24 hours at reasonable temperature
£12 each!? That's bl**dy expensive! Never used it though - could be worth it. The shorter cure time sounds tempting. Does it have any other advantages over automotive lacquer?
Quote by WobblyGoblin
£12 each!? That's bl**dy expensive! Never used it though - could be worth it. The shorter cure time sounds tempting. Does it have any other advantages over automotive lacquer?

None at all, because that is what it is.

Its 2k (2 pack, two part) lacquer.

Clear coat

It dries rock hard in 24hours so it can be wet sanded and buffed.

Maybe just try 2 cans.I don't know. Still a lot cheaper than £150 though.

By the way. I personally use lots of 2k Clear coat...House of Kolor. It's about £200 a Gallon. Then the paints I use are about £7 for 4 ounces, some of the dry effects I use to mix into paints cost £250 for a few ounces.

I am not suggesting you use 2k for fun, I am suggesting it because it works. Assuming you do it right and follow procedure.

You can search my username for other painting advice.
Last edited by Skeet UK at Mar 11, 2009,
The 2K lacquer is awesome though. I believe its what Ormsby uses.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Skeet UK

Maybe just try 2 cans.I don't know. Still a lot cheaper than £150 though.

Fair point. Wasn't doubting you - just asking as I'm new to all this. I bought a couple of cans of Halfords for my last guitar (about £16 all in, I reckon) and it seemed to work reasonably well. Got a nice glassy finish but it did take ages to cure in-between and took a lot of elbow grease.

Sounds like the 2k stuff will give a better finish. For a few extra quid I reckon it'd be worth it.
Quote by WobblyGoblin
Fair point. Wasn't doubting you - just asking as I'm new to all this. I bought a couple of cans of Halfords for my last guitar (about £16 all in, I reckon) and it seemed to work reasonably well. Got a nice glassy finish but it did take ages to cure in-between and took a lot of elbow grease.

Sounds like the 2k stuff will give a better finish. For a few extra quid I reckon it'd be worth it.

Its very worth it.

Did you see that link?

They also sell a mask by Gerson for about £17. Buy it.

You have to be a bit careful with 2k stuff....no bare skin, and use goggles too.