hi all, this is one of many posts on this subject. ive become a little confused at how far my bridge should be away from the end of the neck, does it matter? also the templates i have are totally different to my les paul. are les pauls dimensions different to explorers?
whats its scale length im pretty sure that go from the nut down and mark a line down
the scale of the fretboard is the same as my les paul... its like 24 and quarter or summin
stop building your guitar, now. if you don't even know the scale length then this guitar will end up in the trashcan. put it down and do some research. some basic questions. whats the scale length? what is the nut width? how far down do you put each fret? pickup positions? etc. learn some basic building rules before diving in headfirst blind and ruining what could be a decent guitar build.
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
it doesn't really depend on the type of guitar, but the neck.
scale length=length from nut to middle of 12th fret times 2.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Cort AD350CE
Homemade Strat
Marshall 10CD
Behringer UV300

Dremel/Bandsaw Fund:
$0/$400
the scales is Gibson's standard 24-3/4" scale. and the nut width is also the standard 42 mm. (469.90mm x 42mm)
Last edited by gooooog at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by cthuludawn21
stop building your guitar, now. if you don't even know the scale length then this guitar will end up in the trashcan. put it down and do some research. some basic questions. whats the scale length? what is the nut width? how far down do you put each fret? pickup positions? etc. learn some basic building rules before diving in headfirst blind and ruining what could be a decent guitar build.

yeah cheers, how do you intend i research this. maybe i should go onto a guitar forum and inquire about the subject and get the opinions of others who have done similar projects hmm i dunno you think that would be a good idea? x
The bridge should be the scale length away from the nut, it doesnt matter what guitars or templates or plans you have, it comes down to the actual fretboard you are using, measure from the nut slot to the 12th slot, double it, thats your scale length, then use the measurement to place the bridge.

Remember to account for intonation, you wanner place the saddles about 3/4 of the way foward in their travel and then put the saddle on the scale length, and the bass side of a TOM will want to be angled about 1/8" further back than the treble side.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by gooooog
yeah cheers, how do you intend i research this. maybe i should go onto a guitar forum and inquire about the subject and get the opinions of others who have done similar projects hmm i dunno you think that would be a good idea? x

No reason to get snippy at people that have decent advice... You really need to slow down before you dive into a two foot deep pool headfirst because if you start without knowing EVERYTHING about this guitar besides the less "important" things(You know what I mean, things that don't 100% affect its playability) like its finish. You should know all of those things before you start doing anything. I suggest you go take a look around in the template thread for a bit, look at some diagrams online, do what you need to and then come back okay?