Yesterday I was playing along to some bfmv and I was keeping up but it got messier as I got to faster parts and for some reason I had an epiphany. I just reached a point where I was fed up of playing songs and my own riffs in this way. So now I want to better my playing, I have a rough idea of how to do so such as doing excersises and stuff but I just want to clean up my playing and fasten it up but make it as clean as possible in the process. Oh and btw please don't flame if I've put this thread in the wrong place
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
Concentrate on getting good at playing slowly instead.

If you do that speed will take care of itself.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'm aware of that but could you reccommend any excersises for doing so?
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
I'm no expert but I'd say just make sure you practice everything as accurately as you can. If you really want to use exercises just take different scales and practice them - but not just straight up and down, use different patterns so you're practicing 2/3 notes per string, string skipping, go up 3 notes/down 2/up 3 type of thing, so you are actually improving your general playing rather than just learning a scale by muscle memory.
Try looking at different styles to build your range and level of playing. For speed just play slow and build upwards, listen out for mistakes and work on your weak points.
"Don't worry about anything, and play no matter what. Play regardless of what anyone says, regardless of any fears you have, regardless of whether you think you're good enough or not, and regardless of what the world thinks." - Steve Vai
What I do is practice scales and appegios with a metronome. Helps me alot, and play a song with windows media player, right click the play button and choose play speed as slow. Play along that way until you get the song perfect. Speed will come with time, accuracy is more important. Just my suggestions though.
Quote by steven seagull
Concentrate on getting good at playing slowly instead.

If you do that speed will take care of itself.

Question for you, you've mentioned you've been playing nearly 20 years and you can't play fast, have you just not had the desire to practice and do that?
Speed does not come by itself if you play slowly only. It is very important to be able to play cleanly at a slow tempo, but that won't make you fast - you have to challenge yourself to play faster. If you can play something cleanly at 80 bpm, try 85. Then try 90. If that is too fast, go back to 80 or 85 again.
Quote by Rave765
Question for you, you've mentioned you've been playing nearly 20 years and you can't play fast, have you just not had the desire to practice and do that?

pretty much, i've never put the work in to improve my accuracy, control and stamina to the levels required but i'm not really that arsed either.

Being fast =/= being good and i'm far more concerned with my all-round ability and understanding of the instrument.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'm in your beat. Well, actually I've had a guitar for 8 years... but it's only been since December that I've finally gotten some inspiration from virtually nowhere (I don't know what made it click) and really took playing seriously. So I've been playing 2-3 hours daily and I think what works best is just making sure every single note is accurate and even... BUT, making sure you push yourself at the same time. Everyone stresses playing slowly and accurately but you have to actually force yourself to go faster at the same time. Just make sure you don't compromise accuracy.
Try to play the songs slowly, but accurate. If you do it well, speed up.
Guitars:

Schecter Omen 6
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Granada F1/65

Amp:

Ibanez Toneblaster 15R
Quote by steven seagull
pretty much, i've never put the work in to improve my accuracy, control and stamina to the levels required but i'm not really that arsed either.

Being fast =/= being good and i'm far more concerned with my all-round ability and understanding of the instrument.

Absolutely, but wouldn't you rather have control of all three (technical ability, phrasing and understanding of instrument)?
Everyone would. But not everyone is willing to invest the time.

I'd also like to have a Ferrari. But I don't feel like forking out for one.
well on a usual day, ill do some chromatic or spider warm ups, then play some songs i like then just try make riffs and attempt to sweep pick. but what i definetly think will help me the most will be a metronome. most of the time i play songs i like so if i use a metronome throughout me playing songs ill be up to speed in no time. so how much are they?
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
Quote by steven seagull

Same here, I've learned ALOT in my short time (11 months? will be a year next month april 8) and I'm glad I followed the right path because quite some time ago I pretty much followed your advice in my thread and it's put me on the right track.

However, I'd love to shred like Mr. Gilbert one day. He is my favorite.
Quote by TheQuailman
Everyone would. But not everyone is willing to invest the time.

I'd also like to have a Ferrari. But I don't feel like forking out for one.

True.

Btw the Ferrarri isn't worth it; they're like the Gibson of the car world these days IMO; their selling points are a big name and a couple of half-assed technological advancements.
That said I don't drive so I couldn't directly assess the quality, but I haven't read good things.

Bye, I'm going to ultimate-car.com

anyway, I concur with what you said; it takes a lot of time and effort to get to that level as a player and if you don't have all that time available you need to set sensible priorities.