Thanks, I'm really crap at playing in time.

I guess that's something that comes from playing with a metronome a lot, something I don't do anywhere near enough.
Gear: Lindo victory flying V, Orange 30w practice amp, Jazz iii guitar picks, mobile phone apps for tuner and metronome.
Yeah that song is Drop D tuning so using that will improve how it sounds. Work on your timing ALOT. Use a metronome
Well, for what you have shown, we can really only give you suggestions on your timing, - Don't get me wrong, it needs some work - but you might want to film your picking hand and fretting hand - in different videos, please - so that we can help you work on certain things of your playing that we may not be able to see in this video.
Well, your picking hand looks rather tense. My advice would be to relax it. As a matter-of-fact, it looks extremely tense. It also looks like you're pressing too hard when you palm mute and you anchor pretty bad on the solo part. Also, work on cleaning it up and try to learn how to mute unwanted string noise better.

Your fretting hand needs quite a bit of work too, if I do say so myself. I'll EDIT in some links to videos that I think will help you wonders.

EDIT:

Posture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc

Fretting Hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhZ80OsuTQ&feature=related

Correct Practice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNhhyrnINIU&feature=PlayList&p=FA239CA8EF73CEC9&index=0&playnext=1

I think taking a hard look at those videos will help wonders.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Mar 10, 2009,
Keep your practice regular like daily or every other day. And set specific goals for where you want to be as a guitar player. Maybe try playing with drum tracks during your pratices.
Quote by Trey Spruance
This one shows my picking hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSkvPgcPaPE

You need to slow this one down. It would help if you got a better sound to work with, its more inspiring that way. I suspect that the angle of your pick could be a little better. You should seriously slow it down just enough to get the picking clean, and the fretting hand more relaxed. It looks like your fretting hand is still a little skeptical about what it can do.

I respect your willingness to show your videos and ask for honest advice. Being humble will get you far - but you're on the right track. You should try playing Shedding Skin, because that will help your picking and your synchronizing of the left and rights hands tremendously, but don't rush it! Aim for a good sound, not speed - the speed will come to you if you focus on playing clean notes.

http://www.guitarspeedsecret.com
Okay last one.

This is my attempt of playing in time and is probably the best I can do at the moment. It's much slower than the other stuff I attempted. I screw up the ending completely but the rest if just about okayish.

I think I anchor really badly in this. Is that when you put a finger down when you're playing?

Any more helpful suggestions would be great. Thanks for the help so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqjN7TT_8cg
Gear: Lindo victory flying V, Orange 30w practice amp, Jazz iii guitar picks, mobile phone apps for tuner and metronome.
Last edited by Trey Spruance at Mar 13, 2009,
Quote by Trey Spruance
Thanks, I'm really crap at playing in time.

I guess that's something that comes from playing with a metronome a lot, something I don't do anywhere near enough.

Maybe get that down before you get another guitar... Do you have 3?
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Sounds lot better than the first vids, the notes sound cleaner. And lift that pinky off the guitar. And don't go back to rushing yourself. Keep up the good work and don't stop improving.
Ok I checked out the vids recommended to me and I thinkthey've been pretty useful but now I have a question about gear rather than my actual playing.

How important is tone given from the amp? I have been staying at my girlfriends and only have a portable MS-2 amp and it sounds simply horrible. I sound worse on it than I have in years so heres the real question - should I invest in a better amp for tone even though I'm not in a band?

I only got a 15w practise amp that came as part of a starter kit about 5/6 years ago, it isn't any kind of recognisable name and personally I think it sounds like crap.

Does it make as big a difference as I'm starting to think?
A amp can make a big difference if you're playing correctly, but if you're playing something badly it'll sound bad whatever it's coming out of.

You're probabaly better off using the money to get some lessons rather than buying new gear.
The best way to get the basic skills and discipline is to take lessons. Keeps you on some kind of schedule, and you gert immediate feedback on your playing when you're with someone else. I took lessons for 7 months, and had I not, I probably wouldnt be playing guitar anymore. Im still thinking about taking them again
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
i really do hate to biest or whatnot... but if your learning mainly off tabs and stuff i wouldnt go down that direction, i would learn fully your chords, from the looks of your fingering you know scales, idk about chords.

if i was you, and im not, i would look at "older" music first look at how they play, then take things to newer levels and build your style. im not forcing you to change your musical tastes...

the things i first liked was slipknot, metallica and stuff, some pantera i think. but once i dived into guitar and searched guitarists online, i found hendrix was godlike and would be valuable to learn stuff he played, then traced back through he was inspired by and etc.

i play by ear now, really difficult but worth it. it makes tabs feel like nothing and you really have skill deep down.

enough of my rant. good luck above ^.^
any questions or stuff, pm me.
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
The song is not in drop B or drop D. It's in D standard (whole step down). I suggest you play with a metronome and develop your timing and technique. You're more likely to improve using the metronome.
that Bury Me In Smoke vid is really good btw
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Eat the heart of a drummer. It will give you his powers.

Also work on timing, tuning, and technique.
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
Ok the anchoring is starting to really piss me off. I really tried this time but still found myself doing it a lot. I don't know how to stop lol.

So here is another vid, I'd say I'm pleased with my progress somewhat but I know I still have a LONG way to go.

...Oh and ignore the crap at the end, I got carried away.

Raining Blood Slayer
Quote by Trey Spruance
Ok the anchoring is starting to really piss me off. I really tried this time but still found myself doing it a lot. I don't know how to stop lol.

So here is another vid, I'd say I'm pleased with my progress somewhat but I know I still have a LONG way to go.

...Oh and ignore the crap at the end, I got carried away.

Raining Blood Slayer

Anchoring: Start SLOW! VERY, VERY, VERY SLOWLY! Take your arm and let it hang limp at your side. This is how much tension should be in your arm when you're picking. Seriously. It sounds like it's an impossible thing to do, but it isn't. I was amazed at how relaxed I could ACTUALLY be when still picking fast and keeping a steady volume and tone. Trust me, just keep working on not anchoring. DON'T play anymore while anchoring. I played for about a week without anchoring (slowly, of course) and I was nearly broken of that nasty habit. Obviously, you're not going to be at the same speed you were when you were anchoring, but you won't have a chance of hurting yourself anymore.

EDIT: Ohh man...I didn't watch that whole video. You have GOT to stop using your arm for picking. Seriously, dude. If you think anchoring is bad for you, picking with your arm isn't any better, if not worse imo.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Jun 29, 2009,
look up some metallica videos of master of puppets..and look at heltfields arm and his wrist..hes insane try to relax and look in the mirron when you play..and keep you arm relaxed and wrist doint the picking..DONT HOLD THE PICK TO HARD.it will make it alot easier..to skip strings use your arm (MOVE HIM JUST A BIT)..just pull him down or up a bit to change strings...this helped me alot! cheers

go and try to play some songs with downstrokes and wrist picking that are a bit easier the slayers...iron maidens 2 minutes to midnight is a awsome way to start
I decided to do an acoustic song because everything I had up had distortion.

So heres a few chords a riff from Nutshell by alice in chains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6VzTVsybug

My timing is still off but I think i'm improving slowly.