Page 1 of 2
how do you cope?
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
stay in the shadows...
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
what is it? lol
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Dude, most guitarists are like that anyway.

I think we hate people who aren't guitarists

edit: (unless it's you guys.)

Quote by JackalUK
No, I just hate everyone

Fair enough
No means maybe
Last edited by pilgrimevan at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by Laces Out Danny
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_anxiety

gawd you're so lucky to be you and not understand the meaning of the word "anxiety". You're a lucky lucky man.

I'd describe it differently than "lucky"
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
when i'm with my friends i'm fine..there like a shield .

but when i'm on my own yep
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick
I keep lookin behind me,You're amazing at this

Quote by Aerokizzombie
Dam,Cent, ur repeating man scares the shit out of me, its so true

Quote by CodChick
Omg Cent,Ive been havin nightmares because of u

Quote by MCMXCII
**** you man,I was just going to bed

I'm scary
When I'm in a group I'm fine. But alone I'm no good. I'm used to being a third wheel and like keeping it that way.
Quote by Kensai
I'd describe it differently than "lucky"

explain please

Chance? God? It's my fault?
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by Laces Out Danny
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_anxiety

gawd you're so lucky to be you and not understand the meaning of the word "anxiety". You're a lucky lucky man.

I know what anxiety means, twunt, generally when you stick two words together and call it a condition it has a set of specific meanings.

And yes I 'have' that, if it's possible. I just think of it as major shyness? lol
Quote by meh!
I know what anxiety means, twunt, generally when you stick two words together and call it a condition it has a set of specific meanings.

And yes I 'have' that, if it's possible. I just think of it as major shyness? lol

No, you definately don't have that. I mean, it doesn't seem to bother you, well from what i've seen with my limited glimpse from you here.

lol, "twunt".

Im gonna steal it from you nao. And you can do nothing about it.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Quote by Laces Out Danny
No, you definately don't have that. I mean, it doesn't seem to bother you, well from what i've seen with my limited glimpse from you here.

lol, "twunt".

Im gonna steal it from you nao. And you can do nothing about it.

This is the internet... lol
Quote by meh!
This is the internet... lol

*e-ties meh to a chair, and rapes*

wellccom(cum) to the internet
Quote by icaneatcatfood
It's the internet, you can't judge a person's psychological state from it. Otherwise I could say that if you had social anxiety, you wouldn't be bringing it up in the first place. The internet makes people different.
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)
Quote by urf_
It's the internet, you can't judge a person's psychological state from it. Otherwise I could say that if you had social anxiety, you wouldn't be bringing it up in the first place. The internet makes people different.

True.

I wouldn't be telling people about my social anxiety in real life.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
I'm in class right now and we're learning about that.

I think she (teacher) said that 1 out of 4 people have anxiety, doesn't have to be social tho.
The good times are killing me.

Quote by UG TinyChat
meelad: I know this guy "entity0009" and "mike50227"
meelad: They're the best people there

Above Divine
Taking deep breaths and reminding myself how awesome I am helps, seriously. I know the awesome part isn't true, but telling that to yourself helps a lot. Just actively remind yourself that there is nothing to worry about, that these people are not judging you, and even if they were, they're a bunch of buckets of hooker spit anyway. Really. Making yourself relax and thinking with your rational side, rather than your emotional side, really helps with staying calm and enjoying the company of other people.

I've also heard of "cube breathing" as being really beneficial for people with social anxiety. I think it's pretty similar to my methods. I believe you're supposed to breathe in for eight seconds, hold that breath for eight seconds, and then let it out for eight seconds. Maybe while doing this you're also supposed to try to switch over to your left brain--or whichever side regulates rational thought as opposed to the "woman" side (irrational, emotional).

I really hope that helps. Oh, and the more you avoid social situations, the worse it will get, and vice versa.
Quote by urf_

I got it and believe me, its better to tell people, so if you puke or faint (actually fainted on an overfilled train last week) you dont end up in a hospital, but somewhere on your own to get yourself together again.

the thing I noticed is that the more I force myself to go out, get in situations I would normally avoid, the better it gets....

or maybe that darn citalopram is finally working....

anyway, good luck mate

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
Quote by Laces Out Danny
True.

I wouldn't be telling people about my social anxiety in real life.

Indeed.

The most annoying thing i'm doing at the moment is getting 'singles' on the bus instead of returns so as not to annoy the driver/take longer/have to stand up at the front in front of everyone longer.
I spent three weeks walking a mile to get electricity (yes, i have to put money on a key, lol) instead of just asking the people inn the local shop if they did it.
Walking into my lecture halls (about 400 people) and trying to find a seat basically passes in a sweaty blur and when I sit down it's just like 'oh thank god'. I actually get light-headed and start going all hot and cold and that.
Making friends? I have friends now but **** that was hard when i moved here about 6 months ago. You have to start conversations with people *shudder*.
and other stuff, bleh, you know what i mean. Perfectly normal social situations make me sweat loads and i fret about absolutely everything that involves other people.

lol it's kind of pathetic and so annoying.

EDIT: Oh and definitely for the doing things and it gets better.

I would still call it 'shyness' though, calling it 'social anxiety' seems melodramtic, lol.
Quote by numinis
I got it and believe me, its better to tell people, so if you puke or faint (actually fainted on an overfilled train last week) you dont end up in a hospital, but somewhere on your own to get yourself together again.

the thing I noticed is that the more I force myself to go out, get in situations I would normally avoid, the better it gets....

or maybe that darn citalopram is finally working....

anyway, good luck mate

Yes I have it too, but I'm saying that if this was real life, he wouldn't be telling some group of people that he doesn't know that he has social anxiety (nor would I), that was all I'm saying.

And yes, forcing yourself is generally the best thing, despite how much it sucks at the beginning.
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)
Quote by Laces Out Danny
*e-ties meh to a chair, and rapes*

wellccom(cum) to the internet

Surely violating a mod is against the rules

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by meh!

Walking into my lecture halls (about 400 people) and trying to find a seat basically passes in a sweaty blur and when I sit down it's just like 'oh thank god'. I actually get light-headed and start going all hot and cold and that.
Making friends? I have friends now but **** that was hard when i moved here about 6 months ago. You have to start conversations with people *shudder*.
and other stuff, bleh, you know what i mean. Perfectly normal social situations make me sweat loads and i fret about absolutely everything that involves other people.

Oh god man I know what you mean.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Thanks for all the replies...but i've kind of quit trying with that kind of stuff. (I know I shouldn't!)

idk. I've never gotten any dramatic symptoms such as fainting or sweating profusely. Maybe it's because I never put myself in positions where I get those anymore. I really need a friend....

p.s. and sorry for doubting you, meh, I didn't know better

(not sorry for the violation, though. )
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Quote by Laces Out Danny
Thanks for all the replies...but i've kind of quit trying with that kind of stuff. (I know I shouldn't!)

idk. I've never gotten any dramatic symptoms such as fainting or sweating profusely. Maybe it's because I never put myself in positions where I get those anymore. I really need a friend....

p.s. and sorry for doubting you, meh, I didn't know better

(not sorry for the violation, though. )

Then you start on antidepressants that have anti-anxiety effects, such as effexor.
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)
Almost everyone experiences it in some form, few here will actually "have" it in a pathological sense.

I get nervous in certain social situations. Oddly enough I can speak in front of large groups of people without much bother, it's intimate social situations that bother me.
Being in Uni has given me much more confidence but I didn't notice till I was home for the break because it also puts me in more situations outside my comfort zone.

I tended to use alcohol to get over it , I've stopped that now.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by urf_
Then you start on antidepressants that have anti-anxiety effects, such as effexor.

I've been trying to avoid those...but thanks for the tip.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Small amounts of alcohol is the answer, just get a light buzz and it will work wonders.
People are bastards. Bastardcoated bastards with bastardfilling.
Quote by Finnepinne
Small amounts of alcohol is the answer, just get a light buzz and it will work wonders.

you can't walk around a bit drunk all day... lol
Quote by meh!

Sounds like a challenge to me.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by meh!

, ya you can. I went through a stage of doing that and still functioned quite normally.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by JackalUK
I wear a cape

this,or just be batman.
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
Quote by Ur all $h1t
, ya you can. I went through a stage of doing that and still functioned quite normally.

ok, not in any capacity that i'd want to do.

Also, i'd have to have like... 3 or four pints (and I know this) before alcohol started to affect me in any positive way. And there's no way i could take hard alchohol in the morning.

I went to a club on thursday. Lasted about 2 minutes (which was just me standing there after I walked in the door) (got in free though, lol). Heart racing and sweating like mad i actually did a quick walk out of the club without saying goodbye to anyone, lol. Went home. Happily on that front i'm bolstered up with no only can i not 'do' clubs, they are ****ing awful.
Quote by meh!
ok, not in any capacity that i'd want to do.
Me neither.
(I did it for about 2 weeks though and I still aced continuous assessment things like Computer programming practicals and Sociology seminars)

Also, i'd have to have like... 3 or four pints (and I know this) before alcohol started to affect me in any positive way. And there's no way i could take hard alchohol in the morning.

Drip?

It's just about 'getting over it', and forcing your self to try things even though you'll hate them.

I went to a club on thursday. Lasted about 2 minutes (which was just me standing there after I walked in the door) (got in free though, lol). Heart racing and sweating like mad i actually did a quick walk out of the club without saying goodbye to anyone, lol. Went home. Happily on that front i'm bolstered up with no only can i not 'do' clubs, they are ****ing awful.
I used to hate them but I found that there's no way to do college properly here without them so I got over it and now I quite like them

What freaked you out so badly about it?
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Social Anxiety is wonderful. Chris Cornell isolated himself for a whole year in his teens, and look at him now ( Don't bring up his new album ... ) Depression and anxiety really helps the creativity along.
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Rolling Stone is to the music industry what TheOnion.com is to news.

Ambivalence.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Me neither.
(I did it for about 2 weeks though and I still aced continuous assessment things like Computer programming practicals and Sociology seminars)

Drip?

I used to hate them but I found that there's no way to do college properly here without them so I got over it and now I quite like them

lol lol and lol
Quote by Ur all $h1t

What freaked you out so badly about it?

Eh, you kind of go in and you're confronted with this sea of people and loud music and then where do you go from there!? That's the feeling, not an actual question, lol.

Obviously you're supposed to dance and that but knowing that isn't the same as understanding that or 'feeling it' i suppose. You just kind of don't know... what to do and wouldn't know how if you did. You get the feeling everyone's looking at you and you feel incredibly singled out (and i was there with friends). It's a brand new social situation and you don't even know where to begin dealing with it.

I get by in other situations because i'm good at talking to people, making people laugh and generally (not to blow my own trumpet ) but being pretty smart and engaging, people like talking to me. That works in class, it works when drinking generally and it works at parties but it just doesn't happen at clubs so I end up without a way in.

That's what I think

Of course over-analysis is part of the problem, i've been thinking about that since i went, lol.
Page 1 of 2