So recently, I went over to jam with a couple of my friends. I don't have my own amp yet (though I will in the next couple of months...). Since I was at college, and not home, I borrowed my house mate's dinky amp. A fender frontman 15R. This thing...well, it wasn't great, but at least I could jam, right? I just plugged my pedals in and played away.

A couple of days later, I was going to play through the amp again (my house mate doesn't play very much anymore and just leaves the amp in my room)...and I noticed it was kind of fuzzy. The overdrive button wasn't on, but it was still giving me this fuzzy kind of sound, as if the coning around the speaker had been eaten away so the speaker won't move like it should anymore.

After some time, I decided to fess up to my house mate. I told her that I'd bring the amp home, and see if my dad would take a look at it. She was glad I told her, because otherwise she probably wouldn't have realized for a very long time. <_<

So my dad did end up taking a look at it...he first plugged in his acoustic, and he didn't hear any problems. Then he plugged in a strat...no problems there either. However, when he plugged in my guitar, the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II, there was that terrible sound. Now, I've played through other amps recently and this problem isn't there, so I'm pretty sure that it's the amp.

My question is, has anyone encountered something similar to this? Even if you haven't, any idea what might be wrong?
Might be a loose connection in your guitar or the amp - that would give you intermittent problems
Check the wires that connect to the tone knob on your guitar. I had this problem before and it took me a long time to realize it. In some situations it sounded good and clear and other times it was noisy and had some really bad feedback at high gain.
Check the wires on all the knobs, and the selector switch, and the pickups
try your guitar in a different amp if possible, just to see if that's where the problem lies.
Quote by UltimateDud
try your guitar in a different amp if possible, just to see if that's where the problem lies.

Quote by From original post!
Now, I've played through other amps recently and this problem isn't there, so I'm pretty sure that it's the amp.

Tl;dr?
I did explain that I've played my guitar through other amps and I don't get this problem in other amps. The other main amp I play through is my dad's 1969 sunn amp. It's pretty badass.
Quote by Y00p
Tl;dr?

Quote by zhilla
Might be a loose connection in your guitar or the amp - that would give you intermittent problems

Tl;dr?
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band