Poll: Does music influence your behaviour?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does music influence your behaviour?
Yes, it does influence you to kill.
10 7%
No, it does not influence you to kill anyone.
54 36%
Yes, but only if you're already mental.
88 58%
Voters: 152.
Page 1 of 2
hey pit

i had this huge argueing with a guy i recently met about music.. and im not talking about "what, you dont like trivium? you suck" but how it can influence your behaviour. he said (im not kidding) slipknot was the reason for those schoolshootings.

i was like "alright, in what songs do they say "kill your schoolmates" or something similar?" and he said "there's this song called "school wars" by them"
anyone, who listens to slipknot, knows that this song DOES NOT exist. i told him that i had never heard of this song and i wanted him to back it up with a reliable source. of course, there was none. the next thing he mentions is "but slipknot are satanic, there's satans mark on the drumkit".. my respond:"it's not a pentagram, look close" and i showed him a picture of that "pentagram".

after that, he started talking about christian metalcore, which i have nothing against. he quoted a song called "the arms of sorrow" by killswitch engage. i read the lyrics to that song. he said "that's what lyrics should be like, this gives me strength blabla"
i quoted "surfacing" by slipknot and told him that the message is almost the same, just more radical etc. but he still believes that slipknot are satanic and their and marilyn manson's music is "bad" and tells you to kill everyone.

my question, and i want a mature discussion (i know you can do it, guys): does music influence you to get angry or even kill somebody?
I wish the searchbar could influence people as much as music can.

Oh well, he sounds like a tool. Rape him.

Edit: Seriously, rape him. In the ear and mouth.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
I wish the searchbar could influence people as much as music can.

Oh well, he sounds like a tool. Rape him.

Edit: Seriously, rape him. In the ear and mouth.

And if you can muster up a third go, the nose.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Music has made me cry, but normally because of another cause that the music is reminding me of. But I do not believe it can influence any sane person to kill or get violent.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Quote by metacarpi
And if you can muster up a third go, the nose.

Go for the eyes, Boo, go for the eyes!
Of course it can. Is it the main influence? Probably not. However, I do believe it could feed an already troubled mind.''

Edit: Also, even if it was a Pentagram, that does not mean it is Satanic. People need to stop associating that symbol only with Satan.
Last edited by NemX162 at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by Kensai
Go for the eyes, Boo, go for the eyes!

Eyes are for beginners. The nose if for the l33t sexual predators.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I doubt it could influence anyone even remotely sane to kill anyone, but I'm sure plenty of killers would use it as an excuse
Music by itself won't do it. If you have a serious mental condition and you are already so messed up, I'm guessing music could put fake images in your head and make you think of those themes as if they were your actual life.

That could probably give you anger at things that don't exist, and you might shoot up a school.

Plausable.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Quote by JackalUK
Non-gimps will know the pentagram has sod all to do with Satan or hell

well, my thoughts, too.. those christian-fanatics seem to believe anything they hear

at guy above:
i tried to tell him, he insisted that only guys who listened to slipknot etc. are going to kill because of the music. when i asked him if he knew any other songs of slipknot than "school wars" he replied with "before i forget, psychosocial, dead memories and the nameless".. he did not know any of the lyrics of those songs
Last edited by mmkat at Mar 10, 2009,
Show him gorgoroth or any other black metal bands.

that should lighten his thoughts on slipknot.
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
incredible how they ignore your request for a serious discussion

anyhoot, i am no scientist but i've dug my way deep into this discussion before so let me tell you what i have found.

there is NO evidence whatsoever that any form of media has influenced any sane person to kill another person. None.
People who have done so, and blame music or videogames or whatever are either liars or have already had a history of psychological problems.
In the latter case, if music wasn't the trigger, drugs would have been, or an argument over skittles, or anything unrelated to everything else in their lifes.

Studies that show the opposite (and there are some) are usual from unreliable sources (read: christian) and incredibly biased and un-scientific.

On a different level: music can trigger emotional behaviour but is mostly due to a nostalgic association with sound or lyrics of the song.
Quote by xl999

anyhoot, i am no scientist but i've dug my way deep into this discussion before so let me tell you what i have found.

there is NO evidence whatsoever that any form of media has influenced any sane person to kill another person. None.
People who have done so, and blame music or videogames or whatever are either liars or have already had a history of psychological problems.
In the latter case, if music wasn't the trigger, drugs would have been, or an argument over skittles, or anything unrelated to everything else in their lifes.

Studies that show the opposite (and there are some) are usual from unreliable sources (read: christian) and incredibly biased and un-scientific.

On a different level: music can trigger emotional behaviour but is mostly due to a nostalgic association with sound or lyrics of the song.

thanks, that's what i wanted to read. finally somebody who actually read my whole post
all that stuff is a load of bull.

people dont just listen to a song, waltz into a school, and shoot everybody.

they plan, for a long time. it has nothing to do with music, because chances are the shooter isnt listening to the same song 24/7 the whole time he plans it. and chances are if hes planning it and putting thought into it, hes wanted to do it regardless of the music hes listening to.
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Axl Mayhem Fireaxe Guitar
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Combo Bass Amp
Gallien-Krueger 115SBX Bass Cabinet
Quote by t.ev
O'doyle Rules!

Fixed

Quote by Våd Hamster

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Quote by xl999

It's because

1) The answer is so obvious

2) Anyone's who has been on this forum for more than 2 minutes has seen the same discussion atleast 9000 times.

Quote by thanksgiving
Fixed

Some people are ****ing stupid and don't understand logic. Ignore him. And it's not like you're going to get any kind of discussion even if you were lucky enough to get serious responses, you'd just get everyone repeating each others posts worded differently.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by Kensai
It's because

1) The answer is so obvious

2) Anyone's who has been on this forum for more than 2 minutes has seen the same discussion atleast 9000 times.

I agree. This has been done many times.

Quote by Våd Hamster

Quote by thanksgiving
Music by itself won't do it. If you have a serious mental condition and you are already so messed up, I'm guessing music could put fake images in your head and make you think of those themes as if they were your actual life.

this
the world is full of retards
Yes it influences me to kill... in fact it makes me want to stab people who don't use the searchbar.
What is this that stands before me?

Figure in black that points at me...

FUCKETH THINE SELF
this is pretty much the same as the argument against video games. the only way i can it influencing someone that much is if they were like 4 or if they were already like a schizo or something
you probably cant convince him, so, best advice i can give you: laugh at him, walk away (and keep laughing).
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Quote by mmkat
thanks, that's what i wanted to read. finally somebody who actually read my whole post

your welcome.
Quote by thanksgiving
I agree. This has been done many times.

thats what you get when time doesnt stand still and new folks show up at your doorstep. you will hear and see many of the same things.
And using the searchbar and reading a discussion is not the same as participating in it.
And digging up an old post and replying to that only gets you 'oh, why won't you let that thread die, you stupid 0x'er!" and all that childish stuff.

oh yeah, i forgot: rIp DiMe w00t!
Quote by mmkat
hey pit

i had this huge argueing with a guy i recently met about music.. and im not talking about "what, you dont like trivium? you suck" but how it can influence your behaviour. he said (im not kidding) slipknot was the reason for those schoolshootings.

i was like "alright, in what songs do they say "kill your schoolmates" or something similar?" and he said "there's this song called "school wars" by them"
anyone, who listens to slipknot, knows that this song DOES NOT exist. i told him that i had never heard of this song and i wanted him to back it up with a reliable source. of course, there was none. the next thing he mentions is "but slipknot are satanic, there's satans mark on the drumkit".. my respond:"it's not a pentagram, look close" and i showed him a picture of that "pentagram".

after that, he started talking about christian metalcore, which i have nothing against. he quoted a song called "the arms of sorrow" by killswitch engage. i read the lyrics to that song. he said "that's what lyrics should be like, this gives me strength blabla"
i quoted "surfacing" by slipknot and told him that the message is almost the same, just more radical etc. but he still believes that slipknot are satanic and their and marilyn manson's music is "bad" and tells you to kill everyone.

my question, and i want a mature discussion (i know you can do it, guys): does music influence you to get angry or even kill somebody?

That guy sounds like a bigger tool than you, tell him congratulations.
Quote by Mad Marius
You asked if music can influence your behavior, yet you bring up Slipknot...

Touch'e.

Quote by Våd Hamster

One time I listened to Slayer, and then me and my friends preceded to rape a girl

Then we listened to Marilyn Manson and shot up a school

Then we listened to Ozzy Osbourne and committed suicide
No.

School shootings happen because people have problems that they can't deal with. They have nothing but hate and have no reason to believe that their lives are worth something. They kill people for revenge and then end their lives because they refuse to quietly fade away. They want to hurt everyone back while going out with a huge bang.

They listen to certain types of music because it speaks to them. The music doesn't make anyone do anything. Blaming music is just trying to shift the blame off of society. Don't use music as a scapegoat.
Last edited by Trefellin at Mar 11, 2009,
Yes. In the same way that a violent book could influence you, meaning that only if you're already mental.

Music could be the drop that filled the glass. But you had a glass full of madness in the first place. The drop isn't to blame.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Mar 11, 2009,
No. The music I listen to itself does not make me behave radically. However if I think a lyric or songtitle is pretty neat I might incorporate it into my daily language.

But other than that, music doesn't influence me to do stuff. It makes me think, but doesn't make me act.
I misvoted.

It is very strong.

Some believe, listening to music breaks down principles you have and can bend your behavior. Sound is just as powerful as imagery in my opinion. Both make a very powerful feet though.
The music I listen to doesn't change my behavoir but it makes me think about things.

Put NOFX aside, their music isn't really about anything serious.

I am talking about the hardcore punk. It is all opinion, no bull****. I listen to what people thought about the government and what they thought about life, and I like to think about that and see if that is anything similar to my life right now.

Yes, that is it.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by SuperJoop
Imagine a Bj from that fanning tongue?

Amazing.

Yes, I would love to receive oral sex from a haggard, 80 year old, Syrian woman.
Page 1 of 2