hey kids, here's the deal. I'm about to start gigging regularly.
The band looks like this

Guitar + Vox = Myself (I concider myself average at guitar however a good vocalist)
Keyboards = this kid is a freak of nature, if you saw him playing for dream theatre he wouldn't be out of place.. Ok maybe I exadurate a wee but, but he's insane for a 18 year old
Bass = quite capable, and is more than willing to stfu and listen to me and the keyboarder who generally call the shots.
Drums = The genre we play isn't really that demanding with the drums, he can play pretty much everything we need him to.

We're going for a rock/alternative sound, obviously trying to be as unique as possible, we cover bands like "The Fray", "Muse", "Coldplay", "The Living End", "The Goo Goo Dolls".

I currently use the following equipment

LTD EC-50 electric(i've tweaked it so it sounds sweet, so don't worry that it's only a 50 series)
Ibanez Acoustic (cbf remembering model number, but it sounds sweet)

I am aware that I need backup guitars incase of string breakage due to set lengths of 2 hours+. I'm looking at buying the following:

Secondhand Fender Telecaster Standard Mexican ($350au w/hardcase) (extremely cheap)

A second acoustic (suggestions?) not to expencive if possible.

Pedals - Distortion, Delay, Reverb, Wah (running either straight into a PA system or a 100w Ashton combo 212 amp.) suggestions?

thanks kids.
I'd say get another LTD for your back up. For your pedals you'll have to go and try out a few different ones together to find the sound you're looking for. Hell, its your band. Get what you think you need
Never run an electric straight into the PA. I trust you are happy to tweak the Tele to suit you, 'cos its a good choice as a back-up. In fact it can, at a pinch, sub for your acoustic and save you having to tote 4 guitars.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

a decent guitar amp would be a start.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
i'd go for the telecaster as a backup guitar. I also play this kind of alternative rock music, and my main stage guitars are a fender jaguar HH and an ibanez rgt42 and it does it really well, the ibanez for heavier stuff, the jaguar for softer/crunchier stuff.
As for pedals, just make sure you are comfortable and like their sound. Don't use too cheap pedals because they will break on you. Also, I recommend you use a pedalboard if you don't have one yet, because pedals take a friggin long time to set up. if you want more pedals, a chorus might do you some good. Also, a tuner pedal is really handy in gigs. Finally, if you're a tone freak, get an EQ.

as someone above said, never run your guitar through a PA, it sounds horrid. always use an amp.
I don't think you'd really need a backup acoustic guitar unless you really play it a lot. If you break a string and play mostly chords, people won't notice that much the sound difference.
Quote by Lurcher
Never run an electric straight into the PA. I trust you are happy to tweak the Tele to suit you, 'cos its a good choice as a back-up. In fact it can, at a pinch, sub for your acoustic and save you having to tote 4 guitars.

That's a really good point actually. I forgot how awesome the tele is clean :P
Quote by MetaMegaMagic
Why cover Coldplay?

Wouldn't people like to see some awesomeness? Do Joe Satriani.

Unfortunatley, I'm playing the guitar, and I'm quite bad at it xD. I'm not game to play any Satriani stuff infront of a crowd because I'd sureley screw it up.
how about you buy a pedal board or a multi effects
and yeah strats suck get another ltd
you could always get a good semi-acoustic guitar...... they sound enough like acoustics clean, and if you need to bring more than one there about the same size as an electric, if you get a thinline.....
Not exactly unique. Pick up that mexi strat that is cheap!

Don't call people kids, it's especially condescending when you are one yourself.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by UltimateDud
Unfortunatley, I'm playing the guitar, and I'm quite bad at it xD. I'm not game to play any Satriani stuff infront of a crowd because I'd sureley screw it up.

what crowd of average people wanting to hear pop covers is going to want to hear satch?

old coldplay is good for a cover but i'd only do one as they do annoy alot of people.

i'd say throw in a few beatles and stones covers, they go down a treat and are fun and simple to play

but yeh the tele is a safe bet as if a string on your acoustic broke then you could allways play that clean and it would still give u a nice gentle tone.
Quote by Deep*Kick
Not exactly unique. Pick up that mexi strat that is cheap!

Don't call people kids, it's especially condescending when you are one yourself.

Try not to demand things that don't matter of people.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by James13v
Try not to demand things that don't matter of people.

is that a demand?
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.