I have an Ibanez RG with a 5 way swtich (it also has a volume and tone knob), as of right now it only has an IBZ neck pickup. When I purchased the guitar the single coil and bridge weren't connected.

I recently bought a Tone Zone to put in the bridge, but I don't know how to install it (other than a general idea).

Either way my problem is this: How do I know where the powered/hot wire is for me to solder the Tone Zone to? I understand the rest.
Last edited by locale at Mar 10, 2009,
Did it not come with a paper inside the pickup case? You might be able to get a wiring diagram from the DiMarzio website. If you still can't figure it out you should consider taking it to a music store and having it installed. They usually do a better job (no offense) and keep problems such as buzzing and humming out of the way.

It's a great sounding pickup and I bet you'll love it in that RG
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
Quote by H_ngm_n
Did it not come with a paper inside the pickup case? You might be able to get a wiring diagram from the DiMarzio website. If you still can't figure it out you should consider taking it to a music store and having it installed. They usually do a better job (no offense) and keep problems such as buzzing and humming out of the way.

It's a great sounding pickup and I bet you'll love it in that RG

The pickup did come with some instructions however, it says to solder the hot wire to the wire that the previously installed pickup was connected to (there wasn't one connected).
http://www.ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams.aspx

Check that out. Pick a rg550 from whatever year and that should be what you need
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by halikus
http://www.ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams.aspx

Check that out. Pick a rg550 from whatever year and that should be what you need

Thanks halikus, I didn't know that existed. There's still a problem though, my 550 is from 1989, it's not listed. :/ I'll take a look at the other years and see if I can't find anything useful. Thanks again!

on the left is the color code for dimarzio.

the hot is the red, and is probably going to go to the switch.

you dont need the exact ibanez schematic by the way.

if you have the pickup configuration, and how many tones and volume knobs.

you can use any schematic.

the colors on the stock pickups will be different as compared to the ibanez colors.

But once you know the wire colors for the after market pup, you know where to put it.

edit:
the easiest one to find is the seymour duncan schematic HSH -1 vol, 1 tone 5-way switch. it's what you need if this is your type.
JUST IGNORE WIRE COLORS as they are for the sd company not dimarzio.
but you can convert the colors using the above chart.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=HSH_1v_1t_5w
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Mar 10, 2009,